Why should a deaf/hoh person consider being an audiologist?

SJCSue

Reaction score
List all of your reasons why a person, who is deaf/hoh, should consider being an audiologist.

1.He/she would understand their patients better than any hearing doctor.
2. He/she would be a great role model to anyone who came into his/her office, showing that deaf can.

I must admit I have never considered deaf or hoh being an audiologist. Now I think of it and reckon it'd be nice to have someone who can communicate in sign language with clients instead of having to lipread or write all the time.

wouldn't pressure clients into buying crappy aids with no power like the dinky ITE and smaller aids.

deafdyke said:
wouldn't pressure clients into buying crappy aids with no power like the dinky ITE and smaller aids.

My HOH ex is, I believe, currently studying audiology. I won't say where though (things got a bit awkward at the end...) Her reasons were simply that she enjoyed the course and that, as some people have mentioned, she would have a greater rapport with clients.

Soonersseth said:
how would a 100 % deaf Doc test your hearing say words ect ?

Either by tape or a cd. The words have to be pronounced correctly using phonetics (not pronounced like "hooked on phonetics," it is two syllables, not three).

I was a pre-audiology major a few years ago; changed because I was getting an "attitude" by other students in the major.

I have actually thought about becoming an audie for a while a few years ago.

zookeeper4321

I have a deaf friend who is an audiologist. I used to work in the same medical facility. He was great with his patients. He has bilateral aides himself. He also lip reads fairly well. He isn't seeing little G yet because he doesn't do pediatrics, but he's great.

Back