Why MUST have VRS? What's wrong with TRS?

PowerON

Reaction score
Once, I had problems with Text Relay Service (TRS) to call any business. They panic and hang up on me because they think either tele-marketing call or scammer from Africa. I understand they been bothered by that everyday. So, many deaf said that VRS a solution. Sure, I would HATE to agree this is true, but it is true.

HOWEVER…. I’m tired of seeing that many deaf people are ignoring TRS, and tell me that they love and must use Videophone. They tell me that TRS is DEAD. Old technology belongs in the graveyard. Cover it in dirt, throw a match in there, and burn it. May it rest in peace.

Cont for rest of article to read...

to be honest with you, many of them don't give specific instruction to TRS, I use TRS quiet a lot before and when I learned that when I keep getting hang up calls, so when I gave a phone number then I explain to "terp" please do not say "This is a relay call for deaf person blah blah", just say "I would like to speak with Obama please" and that solved the problem. Most TRS will follow what I will say before calling someone... many of deafie just gave TRS number and then sit and wait for it to answer. Bad move.

TRS is far from dead. The millions of non-signing d/hh people in the US use it every day. For those of us who use ASL, VRS is easier because of using the natural language of ASL rather than the second language of English. But TRS is not dead, it's just not preferred by signing deaf people.

I still use CRS (California Relay Service) over the phone. Rarely I got hung up.

Nevertheless, you have to understand that alot of deaf people including many friends of mine have poor grammar skills so they prefer VRS. For example, do you communicate with a hearing person by writing back and forth or using an interpreter preferably?

I still use CRS (California Relay Service) over the phone. Rarely I got hung up.

Nevertheless, you have to understand that alot of deaf people including many friends of mine have poor grammar skills so they prefer VRS. For example, do you communicate with a hearing person by writing back and forth or using an interpreter preferably?

Are you sure, you don't read the whole thing on my blog? Because you sound like you don't really.

I already aware and understand that deaf with poor grammar are use sign language as their primary. That's fine. It just I'm sick of them give the bad name on TRS.

There is con that VRS cannot record to prove that you're guilty. TRS on Adium that I use with relay service has auto record of everything that I can print out and prove to doctor that they're liar to my schedule. How do you feel about being shot on your knee that I said like that?

What I'm saying, stop piss off other people.

Otherwise.. I would like to add on the point on the hang up issues... Now, I still remember the businesses who take the call from me with relay service, and hung up on me. I feel they have poor common sense and decide to give up easily because of scammers and telemarketing callers. Think about it! It means businesses who hang up on deaf callers lose up to 15% of business! No wonder America’s economy is so bad. You guys who hang up on us should feel bad

I already aware and understand that deaf with poor grammar are use sign language as their primary. That's fine. It just I'm sick of them give the bad name on TRS.

There is con that VRS cannot record to prove that you're guilty. TRS on Adium that I use with relay service has auto record of everything that I can print out and prove to doctor that they're liar to my schedule. How do you feel about being shot on your knee that I said like that?
In Calif, I think recording phone conversations is illegal unless permission given by the other party.

Anyway there are many deaf people still using TRS, either telephone or text. Others prefer VRS. Don't forget "freedom of choice".

A few government agencies don't accept VRS calls. For example, when I call in sick, I must use USPS's toll-free TTY number. I have no idea about other USPS deaf employees who no longer have a TTY. I will ask one of them at work about that.

In Calif, I think recording phone conversations is illegal unless permission given by the other party.

Anyway there are many deaf people still using TRS, either telephone or text. Others prefer VRS. Don't forget "freedom of choice".

A few government agencies don't accept VRS calls. For example, when I call in sick, I must use USPS's toll-free TTY number. I have no idea about other USPS deaf employees who no longer have a TTY. I will ask one of them at work about that.

You can record from VRC or DVD-recorder. Unfortunately, not everybody have one or even remember it to turn on before the conversation begin.

Back