Why is it Important in Deaf Education

Miss Delectable - Although your response is directed at Owen06, I am trusting that you will clarify at least a few of your statements, as a opportunity for learning.

What are the inconsistencies that you claim? What has lead you to believe that I do not know what I am talking about?

Since Miss D is not here right now, I will do for her what she did for me yesterday.

The inconsistencies that she is referring to is your constant waffling over where you stand and what CS's purpose and intent is. When it comes to cognitive issues, and educational issues, you are clearly ill informed.

And your obvious contradictions have been pointed out to you any number of times, by several different posters. You are simply choosing to be obtuse.

It's not -informed- when the viewpoint that they're being exposed to quite explicitly states that ALL OTHER choices are horrible for so many reasons. There's no pro/con being provided for both sides- it's pro cued speech and nothing else at all. Most average and every day hearing parents faced with a Deaf child would do anything, anything at all, to make them "fit in" with the hearing world- and that's blatantly taking advantage of their need in order to advance your "cause."

It is NOT my responsibility to provide information regarding other methods/tools or systems. You are choosing to intepret my posting to fit your needs.

I learned the languages my parents spoke at home- all three of them. Don't be so eager to assume that we cannot share common language with our families- because I've gone on to add a few to my list. Language isn't about being able to pronounce the open mid back unrounded vowel in love. It's knowing what the word -means-: written, shouted, signed, grunted, spoken.

I am glad that you aquired/learned the languages your parents spoke at home -all three of them. It would be wonderful if you could share how what methods/systems/tools you and your family implemented for these accompishments. Which languages and in what order? When did you learn ASL?

You treat us like we're idiots and back it up with crackpot data- clearly, I got into the 9th best university IN THIS COUNTRY with my 3rd grade reading level. Duh.

I'm not stupid, and I'm pretty sure most people here aren't- so don't be so daring as to continue posting articles about how people like us, Deaf signers, are clearly bound to become illiterate idiots.

You may find this a very difficult topic to understand, but most Deaf signers are quite happy with how we communicate- most of us do quite fine, thank you very much.

Maybe you should try being happy with what you have and letting other people enjoy what they've got. We don't want the change you feel the need to offer.

Do you wish to deny the historical/current issues with literacy and deaf children from hearing families? That indeed would be a disservice to the hearing families. Again you are interpreting the information to meet your own agenda.

One of the joys of being human....free will.

It is NOT my responsibility to provide information regarding other methods/tools or systems. You are choosing to intepret my posting to fit your needs.

I am glad that you aquired/learned the languages your parents spoke at home -all three of them. It would be wonderful if you could share how what methods/systems/tools you and your family implemented for these accompishments. Which languages and in what order? When did you learn ASL?

Do you wish to deny the historical/current issues with literacy and deaf children from hearing families? That indeed would be a disservice to the hearing families. Again you are interpreting the information to meet your own agenda.

One of the joys of being human....free will.

It is not your respsonsibility to provide a biased and inacurrate view, either. In fact, that is one of the most irresponsible actions you can take, but you seem to relish the opportunity to do so.

If any one is ignoring historical and current issues with literacy, loml, it is you. Historically, ASL to teach English as a second langauge has been shown to result in higher literacy rates. Historically, Cued Speech has not increased literacy rates. Historically, Cued Speech has never been a widely used or recognized method for education. Currently, literacy rates are the highest in the student population who is exposed to both sign and speech. Currently, deaf of deaf who have a strong foundation in L1 ASL perform more closely to their hearing peers than any other subgroup. Currently, CS is attempting to ride on the coat tails of the push toward oralism that has accompanied the push toward childhood implantation. Currently, oralism is continuing to fail the deaf children that are kept isolated in that environment.

It is quite obvious to all that your concern is not the educational achievement of deaf children, but simply a cover for your desire to promote and advertise CS and the NCSA.

Loml, if rhyming is essential to learning how to read, then how come I taught myself to read (in preschool, during early intervention) before I was even introduced to the concept of rhyming?
I was reading Babysitter's Club books and books like Flowers for Algernon in SECOND and third grades!
Sure I can't pronounce words too well............but you know what? I still have an amazingly high reading level, even without your precious Cued Speech or even a teacher of the deaf!

deafdyke - I am surprised that you would even ask me this question. How can you possibly expect me to answer:
how come I taught myself to read (in preschool, during early intervention) before I was even introduced to the concept of rhyming

Frankly deafdyke, how you speak is of no issue to me. I am happy to know that you appear to enjoy reading though!

My son, as well, learned to read at preschool age. I purchased several children's signed English books for him from Gallaudet. The sign for the word was shown underneath the print. It did not take him long to grasp the concept that the printed word and the sign were both symbols that represented the same thing, and by the age of 4, he was asking how to write a signed concept.

Many children over the years have been taught to read using the "sight reading" method. Even methodology on teaching hearing children has gone back and forth between phonics and sight reading. I myself, was taught to read using the sight reading method, as it was the popular methodology at the time. Both my son and I are avid readers, and he has always tested above grade level on reading skills. Of course, I am not deaf, but I am a visual learner, with auditory being my second preference. And to this day, even when reading highly technical material, I do not rely on phonics in my reading.

Many, many hearing people fall into the same category as I do. So, to say that phonetic decoding is the way that all hearing children learn to read is as much of a fallicy as saying all deaf children must learn phonics to achieve literacy.

I just asked my mom how I learned how to read. She said she believes it was using phonetic decoding. She also said that my brother was unable to learn how to read with that approach so he learned just the way your son learned.

If one is not an auditory learner then CS probably wouldnt work for that person in terms in developing literacy skills.

I just asked my mom how I learned how to read. She said she believes it was using phonetic decoding. She also said that my brother was unable to learn how to read with that approach so he learned just the way your son learned.

If one is not an auditory learner then CS probably wouldnt work for that person in terms in developing literacy skills.

shel90- Intersting to learn the approaches that you family choose. Thanks for sharing.

With consistent accurate cueing of the phonemes of spoken language a profoundly deaf child of hearing parents can/does aquire the spoken language, learns the language and can apply these skills to printed word for literacy.

Most average and every day hearing parents faced with a Deaf child would do anything, anything at all, to make them "fit in" with the hearing world- and that's blatantly taking advantage of their need in order to advance your "cause."
Well not quite.....that's more oral only folks. But I do agree with you about hearing parents wanting their dhh kids to be "more normal", so they pick a methodology that makes their dhh kids seem "more normal."
I really do think the gross majority of parents of kids with special needs need to go to pyschologists and network with adults who have their kids disabilty, in order to really come to terms with in most cases, is just a very mild difference.
Loml, you're implying that dhh kids cannot learn to read without Cued Speech.
That is WRONG. It's a great method.....and you know, I think maybe it might be able to be used with kids with dyslexia, so they can finally get that "oh written stuff is baisicly what people say" connection. But, it's NOT some wonderful pancea!

Exactly.

shel90- Intersting to learn the approaches that you family choose. Thanks for sharing.

With consistent accurate cueing of the phonemes of spoken language a profoundly deaf child of hearing parents can/does aquire the spoken language, learns the language and can apply these skills to printed word for literacy.

Again with the inccuracies and outright misrepresentation. Have you no shame? This is just one more example of your motive to promote CS and NCSA over concern for the educational and liguisitic achievement of all deaf children. You are no better than the oralists who emphasize speech over academics.

Can u guarantee that it will work for ALL deaf children? I really seriously doubt it.

Can u guarantee that it will work for ALL deaf children? I really seriously doubt it.

Exactly, again. And a deaf child can also apply sign skills to printed word to achieve literacy.

Loml, you're implying that dhh kids cannot learn to read without Cued Speech.
That is WRONG. It's a great method.....and you know, I think maybe it might be able to be used with kids with dyslexia, so they can finally get that "oh written stuff is baisicly what people say" connection. But, it's NOT some wonderful pancea!

deafdyke - I post information regarding Cued Speech. Why would you think that I am implying that dhh kids cannot learn to read without Cued Speech, when you yourself did?

Back