Why is it Important in Deaf Education

loml

Reaction score
How Cueing Helps Solve Weaknesses in Deaf Education

Children who are deaf or hard-of-hearing and use either the oral or manual approach to communication and language typically struggle with decoding the phonemic information needed to process written English.

Signing does not provide phonemic awareness for spoken languages. Students who use a sign system or ASL struggle with connecting the signs to printed words.

Oral/aural communication does not provide complete information about the spoken language, with many of the phonemes looking identical on the mouth (such as /t, d, n, l/ or /i, e/).

Cueing a language provides information at the phonemic level, so the process for cuers to connect spoken words to print is similar to the process used by hearing children. One interesting study showed that deaf cuers and hearing children make similar spelling mistakes.

For example, they might write blue as “bloo” or done as “dun.” However, deaf signers’ spelling mistakes tend to be related to sequencing, such as “bule” instead of blue.

Also, deaf or hard-of-hearing signers typically struggle with the idea of rhyming and don’t understand how words such as bird and word are rhymes, but here and where are not.

A deaf signer’s interaction and understanding of English is largely based on the printed word. However, deaf cuers typically have the same understanding of rhyming as their hearing peers and can identify rhyme pairs as well as produce spontaneous rhymes.

Rhyming is often used as a predictor of future reading success in hearing children. Without the ability to rhyme and manipulate the phonemes of the language, reading will plateau at the third- or fourth-grade level.

CUEDSPEECH.org > Cued Speech > Myths & Facts

Children who are deaf or hard-of-hearing and use either the oral or manual approach to communication and language typically struggle with decoding the phonemic information needed to process written English.

As was stated in an earlier thread, with valid research to support it, there are many avenues to decoding written language. Phonemic awareness is but one way written language is decoded, and it is not the most effective way for all learners, whether deaf or hearing. It is not mandatory to have phonemic awareness to process the written word, or the written symbols of any language.

Signing does not provide phonemic awareness for spoken languages. Students who use a sign system or ASL struggle with connecting the signs to printed words.

This is not only a misleading statement, but an inacurrate one. Printed words are visual symbols, just as signs are visual symbols. The connection of sign as symbol to word as symbol is visual processing, and the connection of concept represented by each visual symbol can be very automatic. Phonemic awareness assits only in verbal pronunciation of the visual symbol of the word. It does not communicate concept.

Cueing a language provides information at the phonemic level, so the process for cuers to connect spoken words to print is similar to the process used by hearing children. One interesting study showed that deaf cuers and hearing children make similar spelling mistakes.

That still does not mean that concept is communicated. And not all hearing children make that phonemic connection. The reason that deaf cuers and hearing children make similar spelling mistakes is because of the phonemic inconsistency between spelling and oral pronunciation. I believe I pointed that out quite aptly when you spelled "naught" as "nawt" in one of your posts

For example, they might write blue as “bloo” or done as “dun.” However, deaf signers’ spelling mistakes tend to be related to sequencing, such as “bule” instead of blue.

And transposition of letters still holds more accuracy than does substitution. "bule" is more recognizable as "blue" to the visual system due to the concept of top down/ bottom up processing. "Bloo", however, is not recognizable as "blue", and when written, would more likely be perceived as "boo" thus leading to confusion on the concept intended. This is based not jsut on "one interesting study, but on decades of research into cognitive processing.

Also, deaf or hard-of-hearing signers typically struggle with the idea of rhyming and don’t understand how words such as bird and word are rhymes, but here and where are not.

A deaf signer’s interaction and understanding of English is largely based on the printed word. However, deaf cuers typically have the same understanding of rhyming as their hearing peers and can identify rhyme pairs as well as produce spontaneous rhymes.Rhyming is often used as a predictor of future reading success in hearing children. Without the ability to rhyme and manipulate the phonemes of the language, reading will plateau at the third- or fourth-grade level.

Rhyming ability does not cause reading comprehension to plateau. This is a completely inaccurate statement. An understanding of rhyming is not mandatory for comprehension of concept represented by printed word, and is related only to the oral pronunciation of that printed word. Ability to identify rhymes is only one of the precursors to literacy and reading ability, and is not even the most influential criteria used to estimate future reading ability. Once again, ability to pronounce a word, or to identify a a rhyme does not indicate that the individual identifying the rhyming words undertands what those words mean. Therefore, it does not imply comprehension.

And again with the link back to your organization.

Okay, we get the damn point. Oral sucks and Deaf Signers are idiots who don't fit into your mold of acceptable and competent human beings. We should all learn to cue to please normal hearing society. Thrilling. I should promptly kill myself, because being deafblind, clearly I am not able to cue, and thus I am essentially a waste of incompetent and illterate space. Might as well make room for another kid to go to Cue Camps.

Please, stop posting these needless articles. Nobody is all that interested in you finding 100 different ways to put down every communication method but your own.

Okay, we get the damn point. Oral sucks and Deaf Signers are idiots who don't fit into your mold of acceptable and competent human beings. We should all learn to cue to please normal hearing society. Thrilling. I should promptly kill myself, because being deafblind, clearly I am not able to cue, and thus I am essentially a waste of incompetent and illterate space. Might as well make room for another kid to go to Cue Camps.

Please, stop posting these needless articles. Nobody is all that interested in you finding 100 different ways to put down every communication method but your own.

:D Well said.

Good one, Alekser.

loml, have you actually put thought to why so few people are currently learning Cued Speech?

Maybe because it's not useful for the majority of deaf kids.

Also, deaf or hard-of-hearing signers typically struggle with the idea of rhyming and don’t understand how words such as bird and word are rhymes,
Why the heck do we even need to LEARN how to rhyme anyway? I remmy being in my second grade classroom and being puzzled as heck about the concept of rhyming and syllables.
And THANK you Aleser!!!! It does get really annoying reading ONLY Cued speech sctuff from you. In fact, it's almost on the par of an evalingcal Christian who constantly wants to convert you.
We get it..........it's a good tool.............

:gpost: :applause: *bow*

Why the heck do we even need to LEARN how to rhyme anyway? I remmy being in my second grade classroom and being puzzled as heck about the concept of rhyming and syllables.

I wonder about rhyme also. I read many articles that CS helps with rhyme. Why is rhyme so important? Aren't other things with English more important? I am :confused:

Edit: I didn't see "Rhyming is often used as a predictor of future reading success in hearing children. Without the ability to rhyme and manipulate the phonemes of the language, reading will plateau at the third- or fourth-grade level." I don't understand why not rhyming would stop more learning to read.

I wonder about rhyme also. I read many articles that CS helps with rhyme. Why is rhyme so important? Aren't other things with English more important? I am :confused:

Edit: I didn't see "Rhyming is often used as a predictor of future reading success in hearing children. Without the ability to rhyme and manipulate the phonemes of the language, reading will plateau at the third- or fourth-grade level." I don't understand why not rhyming would stop more learning to read.

Agreed. I've always thought it was absurd to teach phonics and rhymes to the deaf. When I'm in a seriously masochistic mood, I'll write poetry. Sonnets no less. I usually get fed up and throw my poems away. :P

It would never have occurred to me that word rhymes with bird and one of my teachers told me that just because a word sounds alike doesn't mean it rhymes. I'm still confused over that one.

:bowdown:

Kaitin - Can you explain how you were taught to read?

Language aquisition, for the deaf/hoh child of hearing parents via consistent, acccurate modeling of the spoken language (note :reference is to English) via Cued Speech is of course phoneme based. English is one of the most difficult spoken language to aquire. Rhyming words are among the first groups of sight words that cueing/hearing children learn. Having the ability to understand in reading manipulation of phonemes is essential in the skill of "sounding out" the written word. The child is on the road to being an autonomous reader. An autonmous reader is a child, able to read (at the level that is appropriate for him/her) without help from anyone else.

Good one, Alekser.

loml, have you actually put thought to why so few people are currently learning Cued Speech?

Maybe because it's not useful for the majority of deaf kids.

Miss-Delectable - There are more people learning Cued Speech than you might want to believe. In my geographics there are at least 30 - 50 people a year. This may seem very small to you, but Cued Speech is making a difference to these people.

I do not understand how you have come to this statement: "maybe it is because it's not useful to the majority of deaf kids."

The majority of deaf kids are born to hearing parents. Cued Speech enables the deaf child to aquire the language of their family. How is this not useful?

:lol: I agreed.

Parents have the right to make informed decisions regarding spoken language aquisition and literacy. I am simply providing information.

There nothing wrong with informing parents about CS, but I don't think you understand exactly what Aleser is stating in his/her post.

Kaitin - Can you explain how you were taught to read?

Language aquisition, for the deaf/hoh child of hearing parents via consistent, acccurate modeling of the spoken language (note :reference is to English) via Cued Speech is of course phoneme based. English is one of the most difficult spoken language to aquire. Rhyming words are among the first groups of sight words that cueing/hearing children learn. Having the ability to understand in reading manipulation of phonemes is essential in the skill of "sounding out" the written word. The child is on the road to being an autonomous reader. An autonmous reader is a child, able to read (at the level that is appropriate for him/her) without help from anyone else.

As has been stated numerous times already, and has been supported through research, phonemic awareness is but one way that children learn to read. It is not the best way for all students, nor is is necessary to literacy. Literacy may be acchieved through several avenues. Likewise, rhyming ability is only one predictor criteria for future reading skills, and ois far from the most important. Likewise, studies attributing rhyming ability to prediction of future reading skills have been done on hearing children, not deaf children. You are in way over your head in attempting to explain these concepts, loml, and as a consequence, you are making some extremely innacurate statements.

Miss-Delectable - There are more people learning Cued Speech than you might want to believe. In my geographics there are at least 30 - 50 people a year. This may seem very small to you, but Cued Speech is making a difference to these people.

I do not understand how you have come to this statement: "maybe it is because it's not useful to the majority of deaf kids."

The majority of deaf kids are born to hearing parents. Cued Speech enables the deaf child to aquire the language of their family. How is this not useful?

No it doesn't. There is a difference between acquisition and learning. A difference which is extremely important and one which you continually ignore. And once again, you are speaking out of both sides of yor mouth. CS is for language acquisition, CS isn't for language acquisition. CS does develop speech skills, CS doesn't develop speech skills.It is becoming so obvious that you don't have any idea what you believe, or where your stance is, you simply repeat whatever you think is an appropriate answer. You are a puppet for the NCSA.

Parents have the right to make informed decisions regarding spoken language aquisition and literacy. I am simply providing information.

No, you are not. You are providing inacuracies, for the most part. Everyone here is aware of the NCSA website. If they want information they can visit the website. What you are doing is shameless promotion of a single philosophy,and you are doing a poor job of it. You are turning out to be the poster child for why people shouldn't use CS.

Back