Why is it hearing aids cost so much?

Purlee

Reaction score
Hearing isn't a luxury; It's a sense that's absolutely vital in every day life. Yet for some reason the cost of a hearing aid runs about the same as a car. It's outrageous. If a cell phone that allows me to communicate with someone in fucking china for under $100 then there's absolutely no reason a hearing aid should cost thousands. I've been hearing impaired my entire life and I feel like my hearing is deteriorating and it seems harder to maintain stability with each passing day.

small electronics + medical device = cost part of it is testing for safety the other part is the amount of work that gose into making them mine were 6grand each

Hearing isn't a luxury; It's a sense that's absolutely vital in every day life. Yet for some reason the cost of a hearing aid runs about the same as a car. It's outrageous. If a cell phone that allows me to communicate with someone in fucking china for under $100 then there's absolutely no reason a hearing aid should cost thousands. I've been hearing impaired my entire life and I feel like my hearing is deteriorating and it seems harder to maintain stability with each passing day.

Not really, to the bolded statement. I believe you may mean you are hoh, or hard of hearing. Hearing impaired is a term frowned on here.

But I wish my hearing aids were cheaper too.

A small market, lack of competition and using audiologists to sell/dispense HAs all keep prices high. I can't even buy domes for my HAs online. I have to pay $1 for each dome to my audiologist (a tiny piece of plastic that probably costs $.05). I hope that the internet eventually helps bring prices down.

A small market, lack of competition and using audiologists to sell/dispense HAs all keep prices high. I can't even buy domes for my HAs online. I have to pay $1 for each dome to my audiologist (a tiny piece of plastic that probably costs $.05). I hope that the internet eventually helps bring prices down.

Cheer up. I have to pay something like $120 for a new set of molds each year!

I don't have a mold, Botti. It's a good think because it's the tropics down here. Sweaty ear molds are no fun!

I don't have a mold, Botti. It's a good think because it's the tropics down here. Sweaty ear molds are no fun!

SO I should be grateful to be a Deaf Iowan!! I knew there was a reason.:lol:

I can't afford new hearing aids and haven't worn them in 3 years since they broke down and needed expensive repairs that wasn't worth it...state medical is fucking me over, so they suck balls. :(

SO I should be grateful to be a Deaf Iowan!! I knew there was a reason.:lol:

I agree, ear molds much different feeling here in Utah vs when I was in Georgia. I don't think I will ever get over the cost of HA's

oh come on, those engineers and audiologist want their money worth for all those years of wasting themselves on educations. they definitely don't want to be paid the same as factory worker who supply them parts and building them together. :P

ok, I was kidding. I am not sure why they are so expensive. But I don't anything related to medical is cheap. But I can't figure out why HDTV are cheaper.

oh come on, those engineers and audiologist want their money worth for all those years of wasting themselves on educations. they definitely don't want to be paid the same as factory worker who supply them parts and building them together. :P

ok, I was kidding. I am not sure they are so expensive. But I don't anything related to medical is cheap. But I can't figure out why HDTV are cheaper.

And more fun!!:lol:

ok, I was kidding. I am not sure why they are so expensive. But I don't anything related to medical is cheap. But I can't figure out why HDTV are cheaper.

It's because that HDTVs are made to the masses and lot of people buy them unlike hearing aid devices aren't as common and plus they're medical devices so they're always expensive. Nothing is cheap in medical devices.

So, let's forget the medical devices and spend money on HDTV and vodka.

It's because that HDTVs are made to the masses and lot of people buy them unlike hearing aid devices aren't as common and plus they're medical devices so they're always expensive. Nothing is cheap in medical devices.

Really? as much as kids and people break hearing aids, I would think it would be cheaper by now.

ok everyone, break your hearing aids now...and buy, buy, buy!

Really? as much as kids and people break hearing aids, I would think it would be cheaper by now.

I have spent so much in the last two year that I can't oblige you. :lol: Sorry.

I got broken hearing aids...I can make it broken even more. :lol:

a $700 40" LCD HDTV and a $200 sound system and a bottle of wine with your bf or gf, Priceless!

Right now an Ipod costs $100. You can turn the volume up on your phone so it's essentially not much different than a hearing aid except it functions more like an FM unit. I don't know how much blue tooths cost but I know it isn't over 200....

meanwhile a hearing aid costs up to 6 grand and doesn't have HALF the shit that the iphone has.

Develop a hearing aid with texting, a built in clock and calendar, recordable videos, recordable voice notes AND internet access THEN maybe you can consider a $500 price tag but it still wouldn't be worth 6 grand. Once again it's exploiting people who never did anything wrong other than be hard of hearing.

Let's riot!

Back