Why I'm going to teach my son ASL....

That's strange.... for Cued Speech users... it does.... In speech perception AND production.....

Speech perception and production is not an indication of language acquisition per se. But we've been through all this before.:roll:

And, as I've stated prior, kudos to the OP for choosing a full tool box approach.

I don't wanna jump your case but someone once mentioned on this forum that he/she prefers us to use "children with CI" instead of "CI child/kid". :shrug:

Ummm...I think it is ok to refer to MY child anyway I want.

Fresh2Deaf. It's really great that you are teaching your child sign language.

Speech perception and production is not an indication of language acquisition per se. But we've been through all this before.:roll:

And, as I've stated prior, kudos to the OP for choosing a full tool box approach.

I second that!

I third that.

I think it is fantastic. I taught my son some sign and he started signing back to me at 4 months old, learned to speak at 11 months old, so I was communicating with him months before I would have been able to had I not taught him sign. When he started to talk, he spoke in sentences! We still use some sign, especially in crowds or to tell each other secret messages.

I think it is fantastic. I taught my son some sign and he started signing back to me at 4 months old, learned to speak at 11 months old, so I was communicating with him months before I would have been able to had I not taught him sign. When he started to talk, he spoke in sentences! We still use some sign, especially in crowds or to tell each other secret messages.

Great! Someone in the research field could use your testimonial.

My son will definitely have a CI which will enable him to listen and speak. He's not able to get one till he's 1+ years. BUT.... I will teach him ASL. I'm in the process of learning it now. "Why," you may ask.....

It's not to be a part of the community, although I'm sure it will be a plus for him.... But the real reason is....... I think it's going to be fun having a language b/w the 3 of us (dad included) that most people can't understand. So when kids (or immature adults) make fun of or stare at my sons CI we can talk crap right in front of them and they won't even know. Okay... we'll talk about other stuff too.... whatever :roll: ...............

Am I a bad mom?

(Don't really answer that please....)

nono you ain't bad mother at all. I support you

I do believe children do learn sign through either bsl/asl quicker than they learn to talk. I do not see anything wrong with sign language. Some children are born naturally sign language users, some are not. I was raised orally and i do know quite alot of sign but I am not a naturally a sign language user. I do use it at home when i want to but use speech almost all the time.
i do think sign language is cool because it is like a language not most people use.

Back