Why I don't like most hearing males?

If a certain person never met a deaf person there wouldn't be any disinterest. :cool2:

I'm pretty sure that made sense in your head.......out loud, not so much.

I took a look around and was able to find high schools offering asl classes not too far from where you are. Like I said an increasing number, not "popular overnight". Not only that, the exposure from switched at birth generates interest for the teens.

I wouldn't be able to say what I just said a generation ago.

And for that other poster who asked if anyone would be glad to see someone speak to me in asl. My answer is yes, it's a relief for sore writing fingers.

and you have to remember I graduated in 1987 so through 1970-1980's there wasnt much offered for ASL mainstream. Yes, things have changed now but its still not widely offered as a second language, most second languages we hear of is Spanish, French and German... and I have only seen Mexicans in abundance, so Spanish is prefered when chosen. My daughter is fluent in Spanish as she took it as a second language but also that her mom is mexican helps, she also lives in an apartment complex that is largely spanish/mexicans and its funny they say something about/to her and she responds ( guess they dont realize some people know the language)

and you have to remember I graduated in 1987 so through 1970-1980's there wasnt much offered for ASL mainstream. Yes, things have changed now but its still not widely offered as a second language, most second languages we hear of is Spanish, French and German... and I have only seen Mexicans in abundance, so Spanish is prefered when chosen. My daughter is fluent in Spanish as she took it as a second language but also that her mom is mexican helps, she also lives in an apartment complex that is largely spanish/mexicans and its funny they say something about/to her and she responds ( guess they dont realize some people know the language)
There was a neighbor that no one liked and I mean no one , my hearing dog Finlay hated him too , the guy was walking into the building and I was going out with Finlay and the ass swore at me but he said he said it so I could not hear him but the ass did not know I could read lips . I reported him to him manger b/c there is a rule against calling people names at my condo . The next time I saw the ass he was really pissed off . I love it about your daughter saying something back.

Knew someone would pick up on that. Good job.

Hate to break it to you but I don't like liberals. :P Anyways...

If a certain person never met a deaf person there wouldn't be any disinterest. :cool2:

So, since I knew one deaf girl growing up who used ASL and spoke, I'm supposed to have interest in ASL? Huh? That's like me growing up as the only Asian in my school and meeting Hispanics or Mexicans I'm supposed to have interest in the Spanish language? I hated taking it when my school only offered Spanish. I still have no interest in Spanish.

ASL is not common enough to be used. I've only once in my life seen someone use sign language in person and that is the only deaf/HOH person I know in real life - the one mentioned above.

I'm pretty liberal, and I've been a "Texan" for ohhhhh about 10 months. I cannot tell you how offended I was by his dig. So wounded, so so so wounded.

I took one of those quizzes that circulates around Facebook, this one was "How Texas are you?" 18%.....and it called me a foreigner. :D

There was a neighbor that no one liked and I mean no one , my hearing dog Finlay hated him too , the guy was walking into the building and I was going out with Finlay and the ass swore at me but he said he said it so I could not hear him but the ass did not know I could read lips . I reported him to him manger b/c there is a rule against calling people names at my condo . The next time I saw the ass he was really pissed off . I love it about your daughter saying something back.

Oh my daughter is VERY outspoken, she will speak her mind very freely as well and she isnt afraid of it at all. She has set a lot of people in their place, stood up for her grandparents while staying there for school. She wont take crap from anyone and being a Vet Tech, she bites her tongue alot but sometimes have to give for some pet owners shouldnt have pets. She is one of the best friend you could have, just dont get on her bad side...lol
I love that she stands up for herself and doesnt let people walk all over her and they know it too.

Oh my daughter is VERY outspoken, she will speak her mind very freely as well and she isnt afraid of it at all. She has set a lot of people in their place, stood up for her grandparents while staying there for school. She wont take crap from anyone and being a Vet Tech, she bites her tongue alot but sometimes have to give for some pet owners shouldnt have pets. She is one of the best friend you could have, just dont get on her bad side...lol
I love that she stands up for herself and doesnt let people walk all over her and they know it too.

I am very outspoken and speak my mind freely too so I think I would get along great with your daughter. Your daughter sound very cool.

Hate to break it to you but I don't like liberals. :P Anyways...

So, since I knew one deaf girl growing up who used ASL and spoke, I'm supposed to have interest in ASL? Huh? That's like me growing up as the only Asian in my school and meeting Hispanics or Mexicans I'm supposed to have interest in the Spanish language? I hated taking it when my school only offered Spanish. I still have no interest in Spanish.

ASL is not common enough to be used. I've only once in my life seen someone use sign language in person and that is the only deaf/HOH person I know in real life - the one mentioned above.

It was just my drawn out way of saying I completely disagree with what Ambrosia said. She said it was either laziness or disinterest.

I'll admit that I'm quite lazy. I tend to leave a lot of details out expecting others to fill things in on their own.

That said, I'll leave it at that. Take care.

I was not taught lipreading , when it was discovered I was HOH at 8 yo I got a one body styled HA and send off to second grade and I never passed first grade. I did not start wearing 2 HA until I until I was a lot older and no longer going to school. It's amazing that no one thought to have kids wearing 2 HA in the 50's .

They still didn't in the late 60's either. I was in Kindergarten before anyone (the teacher) realized I couldn't hear. Oddly, they forced my parents to pay out of pocket for that and I went for more than a year before I got a second pair. You'd think there would have been some help for my parents but there wasn't. The doctor's wrote someone in social services that I was maxing out my hearing one hearing aid, at my mother's insistence, someone in social services finally broke down and paid for the second. My mother really made herself a PIA to the school so they provided speech therapy...but I'm not sure if I ever remember getting lip reading lessons. Honestly, I think it's something most deaf children pick up on...lessons for lip reading to me sounds like someone teaching a baby how to crawl. It's just something that happens naturally....

Laura

They still didn't in the late 60's either. I was in Kindergarten before anyone (the teacher) realized I couldn't hear. Oddly, they forced my parents to pay out of pocket for that and I went for more than a year before I got a second pair. You'd think there would have been some help for my parents but there wasn't. The doctor's wrote someone in social services that I was maxing out my hearing one hearing aid, at my mother's insistence, someone in social services finally broke down and paid for the second. My mother really made herself a PIA to the school so they provided speech therapy...but I'm not sure if I ever remember getting lip reading lessons. Honestly, I think it's something most deaf children pick up on...lessons for lip reading to me sounds like someone teaching a baby how to crawl. It's just something that happens naturally....

Laura

I learn to read lips and body language on my own , I had to know when to keep out of my dad sight . My parents where totally clueless about me being HOH and our family doctor was too. I was lucky my first grade teacher realize
this when I failed first grade for the second time. I did not wear two HA until I was in my 20's . I did go to private school and had a speech therapist
and she would read a book to me with no voice and I had to read her lips and tell what the stay was about. She had me reading her lips sitting sideway too,
I really like her . She told me she was a hillbilly and the only person in her family to go to college.

I learn to read lips and body language on my own , I had to know when to keep out of my dad sight . My parents where totally clueless about me being HOH and our family doctor was too. I was lucky my first grade teacher realize
this when I failed first grade for the second time.

Isn't odd that it seems to always be a teacher that picks up on this? I failed Kindergarten my first try because I naturally heard nothing. My parents suspected something was wrong - the doctor's...who knows... But my teacher got it first. They're not used to repeating things three or four times with visuals included....:lol:

Isn't odd that it seems to always be a teacher that picks up on this? I failed Kindergarten my first try because I naturally heard nothing. My parents suspected something was wrong - the doctor's...who knows... But my teacher got it first. They're not used to repeating things three or four times with visuals included....:lol:

My teacher was trying to teach me how to ties my shoes and she notice that I kept looking at her face instead my of shoes and kept me after school to give me a hearing test. I agree it's odd that my teacher pick up on this and not my parents or family doctor. He lived 2 or 3 houses down from my house and made house calls all the time and he never aid a thing to my parents about my speech . :roll: I am so lucky my teacher gave me a hearing test b/c I am not sure what would had happen to me . I would had never learned anything in second grade and could had end being send someplace for kids that are mentally insane. This was common with deaf and hoh kids in the40's and 50's .

Since my Divorce, I have met both male and female hearing friends who became very close yet none of the male friends even bothered to learn basic ASL and one female friend has now taken 2 ASL classes. these are people in their 40's and 50's so I don't think its just a young phenomenon

I'm pretty liberal, and I've been a "Texan" for ohhhhh about 10 months. I cannot tell you how offended I was by his dig. So wounded, so so so wounded.

I took one of those quizzes that circulates around Facebook, this one was "How Texas are you?" 18%.....and it called me a foreigner. :D

Foreigner...:laugh2: That's awesome. :laugh2:

It's the same old story. Your problem is not their problem, we're all kind of self centered. But that's a huge number of people that you don't like. And a lot of them probably think you're a snob. Remember it's a two way street, and it's not their job to accomodate you. A lot of "hearing males" don't have experience with someone who is deaf. Keep that in mind. But a lot of us are just a..holes, keep that in mind too.

Interesting discussion. I don't dislike hearing males but they make me uncomfortable because they give me their face when they doesn't understand my English. I don't blame em for that, it is my second language, anyway. I prefer people with BSL -- I know I'm selfish myself. Cannot help heh ^^

For the hearing population to learn ASL is kind of on par with them all learning Latin. What the hell are they going to with it?

you forgot that important bonus for you, so they can have sex with you

Back