Why do we have to turn off our CI during take-off and landing?

Ahh I don't think many of us are mocking him. So.. if this particular person states something that doesn't make sense or is outright wrong, one can't call them on this behavior just because they're mentally ill? I don't think I have ever called them... or anyone else here a name like idiot when questioning what the hell he (or her) posts.

But then that's my lil ole opinion.. you are free to have yours. Just don't be surprised that people might actually call you out on your own too.

They are welcome to call me out.
You seem surprised that someone might disapprove of your behavior.

I think that picking on a defenseless person is one of the most cruel things you can do.

I have an Advanced Bionics implant. I Was told by the audiologist and the surgeons office NOT to have an MRI because the large magnetic field generated by the machinery could potentially pull the magnet out through the skin.:shock: No mention was made of the strength of the MRI. This is the common consensus on HearingJourney.Com an AB sponsored site dedicated to Choclear Implant discussion. On the back of my AB wallet card there is a warning on the back that says "Please contact Advanced Bionics before conducting any medical procedures, including but not limited to MRI, Diathermy, Electrosurgery, ECT, Ionizing Radiation Thearpy, Cobalt Treatment and Linear Acceleration."

Implants may or may not be approved for some type of MRI, depends on manufacturer and governing health agency.

In the US, Med-El is the only one which is approved for a full 1.5T MRI with the implant fully intact. Others may have a smaller strength MRI with the magnet surgically removed. I only care about the details of Med-El, and I will be having an MRI in about 6 months with it.

I'll have my wife post an update if it rips out of my head.

Cochlear implants include the insertion of a magnet inside the head. If you have a MRI with the magnet still inside the head, it may inflict damage on soft brain tissue and/or de-magnetize the magnet itself (which would then mess up its functionality with the other parts of the cochlear implant). Not to mention the internal magnet could have a negative impact on the quality of the MRI image, which may undermine its diagnostic value. It is best if you have the magnet surgically removed prior to the MRI (and re-insert it after the MRI of course).

I'm no doctor myself. Just saying that the brain isn't really something you would like to take risks with.

Pretty rude there. My friend who was explanted had an MRI stopped by the tech when a small leftover piece seemed to be migrating.

Towards the brain...

So I am the rude one? When I merely pointed out that you aren't educated on the topic because your comment provided nothing to backup your "opinion", you provided ZERO facts or any specifics on manufacture's recommendations pertaining to MRI's nor any regulatory agency.

Even to support your opinion, you haven't provided any detail of that event. Implant model? MRI strength? Date it was performed?

I called you out, you got defensive...then you proceed to call me an idiot? Bravo!!:dance2:

I explicitly stated the stance of Med-El with a disclaimer of other manufacturers and governing agency's. And you proceed to quote from and link to Cochlear. Which, actually supports my post as I mentioned the removal of the magnet, thus Cochlear supports having an MRI under specific conditions. So, you call me and idiot, then post SUPPORTING information. :hmm:

From Med-El's site, 1.5T MRI images performed on an 8 year old.

MR-Image.jpg

From Med-El's site, 1.5T MRI images performed on an 8 year old.

MR-Image.jpg

Those MRI images you just posted proves exactly my point (and by extension Bottesini's point) from a general view. Several manufacturers and other medical sources do not support the use of MRIs with the CI magnet still there, because it will undermine the quality of the scanned images (even if the CI was approved for MRI exposure to begin with) and/or it poses a safety risk to the soft brain tissue. Most of those scanned images in your post are missing the rear right area of the brain as the magnet is still there, which supports the argument that it is best to remove the magnet before the MRI scan (then have it reinserted afterwards) for best image quality.

If you want to keep the magnet in and have crappy MRI images like the ones you just posted above, suit yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf. Please excuse any grammatical or spelling errors.

I'm really curious because before I left for a vacation (eons ago), I was told that I have to turn off my CI when the airplane departs and lands. Why?

Also, what happens if you have an MRI with your Cochlear Implant?

I'm really curious to know. Thanks for your answers!

If you were told to do this you were told in error. There is NO FAA rule regarding turning off your CI's on take off and landings, since they can't interfere with the planes navigation or electronics. They would rather have you be able to hear instructions in case of an emergency than be fumbling around trying to put it on if an emergency should arise.

Those MRI images you just posted proves exactly my point (and by extension Bottesini's point) from a general view. Several manufacturers and other medical sources do not support the use of MRIs with the CI magnet still there, because it will undermine the quality of the scanned images (even if the CI was approved for MRI exposure to begin with) and/or it poses a safety risk to the soft brain tissue. Most of those scanned images in your post are missing the rear right area of the brain as the magnet is still there, which supports the argument that it is best to remove the magnet before the MRI scan (then have it reinserted afterwards) for best image quality.

If you want to keep the magnet in and have crappy MRI images like the ones you just posted above, suit yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf. Please excuse any grammatical or spelling errors.

I've never said anything about having an MRI with the magnet in place,with the exception of Med-El. I have never said to have an MRI outside of the recommendations of the manufacture.

Simply put, I'm merely stating: follow the manufactures MRI procedures, and you can have an MRI scan, safely. Which is completely opposite of Bottesini's original fact-less "scare" post!

I don't understand how people can argue this when the manufactures support it on some level if proper procedures are followed! The scan I posted directly answers the OP's question of "what will happen if you get an MRI". Nobody can dispute that!

As to your argument of the quality of scans, that's not the point of the OP's question nor my responses to Botteini, but I'll bite. MRI Scans are not just limited to the Brain. So 25% of the brain will have a poor scan, but what, ~98% of the rest of your body won't be affected? Sure you can always choose to get bombarded by x-rays via CT scan and risk reactions to the CT dye as a alternative, how many CT scans over the period of your life are you willing to have?

I've done nothing but put facts on the table.

I've never said anything about having an MRI with the magnet in place,with the exception of Med-El. I have never said to have an MRI outside of the recommendations of the manufacture.

Simply put, I'm merely stating: follow the manufactures MRI procedures, and you can have an MRI scan, safely. Which is completely opposite of Bottesini's original fact-less "scare" post!

I don't understand how people can argue this when the manufactures support it on some level if proper procedures are followed! The scan I posted directly answers the OP's question of "what will happen if you get an MRI". Nobody can dispute that!

As to your argument of the quality of scans, that's not the point of the OP's question nor my responses to Botteini, but I'll bite. MRI Scans are not just limited to the Brain. So 25% of the brain will have a poor scan, but what, ~98% of the rest of your body won't be affected? Sure you can always choose to get bombarded by x-rays via CT scan and risk reactions to the CT dye as a alternative, how many CT scans over the period of your life are you willing to have?

I've done nothing but put facts on the table.

Scare post? It shouldn't scare anybody as there are alternative ways to test not involving MRI.

You did not put facts out, but put propaganda from your CI brand.

They are welcome to call me out.
You seem surprised that someone might disapprove of your behavior.

I think that picking on a defenseless person is one of the most cruel things you can do.
Defenseless? hmm...not from where I'm sitting..

Ahh I geddit... it's okay to be sarcastic, rude, call names, pick on and harass EVERYONE (including unknowing new people who may just want to learn new things/ask new things at this site) EXCEPT poor defenseless mentally ill people? Or is it just the ONE poor defenseless person? Or All mentally ill people.

As has been stated in the past- and this was going on long before I ever got here... seems to me most people here tend to tease etc. It is not because the person is mentally ill. That has nothing to do with it. If there were actually "cruelty" as you claim, I am sure there would have been a lot more personal warnings/bannings going on.

No I am not surprised. How you view a behavior is going to be completely different than how others see it. So far you are the only one.

Defenseless? hmm...not from where I'm sitting..

Ahh I geddit... it's okay to be sarcastic, rude, call names, pick on and harass EVERYONE (including unknowing new people who may just want to learn new things/ask new things at this site) EXCEPT poor defenseless mentally ill people? Or is it just the ONE poor defenseless person? Or All mentally ill people.

As has been stated in the past- and this was going on long before I ever got here... seems to me most people here tend to tease etc. It is not because the person is mentally ill. That has nothing to do with it. If there were actually "cruelty" as you claim, I am sure there would have been a lot more personal warnings/bannings going on.

No I am not surprised. How you view a behavior is going to be completely different than how others see it. So far you are the only one.

No, so far I am the only one who spoke out in public. PM's have been going on.

No, she's not the only one.

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

Well thank you! I actually am an authority on most things!! :P

I have to say, things kind of started off on the wrong foot but as time went by I realized you have a wealth of knowledge and I respect that.

I have to say, things kind of started off on the wrong foot but as time went by I realized you have a wealth of knowledge and I respect that.

I know I am a little hard to get used to, but I really do thank you for saying that!

Totally agree LoveBlue....definitely not the only one.

I get boat loads of PM's from members complaining about this particular issue. I will not name names but I know others do too. There aren't just PM's on one side of the fence.

The fact of the matter is this issue has sizzled out a lot in the past week or two because said person has calmed it... end of story.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and statements. Yes, sometimes people ( myself included ) can get a little carried away at times, I can admit that. I never intentionally bully anyone more so as call out issues using facts and providing information and links backing said facts to prove said issues. When someone goes against those facts ( as what just happened here with this person and Bott ) you tend to get irritated and lash out and what happened? Bott called him an idiot. Did I laugh and giggle? Sure I did! Would most of us have done the same? ABSOLUTELY?! Bott provided facts and they overlooked those facts and links and continued to argue. They deserved it... :squint: That is no different than what happens / has happened with me... except have this person post 200 times a day... it is profoundly annoying. :roll:

This leads me back to my previous statement. This issue has calmed itself and hasn't been an issue so much... so let us try and keep it that way. I've had less migraines these last few weeks, I'm sure the mods agree.

me too, I don't like the idea of CI, and its hassles, and its dangers being denied...

Really?
I'm not a fan of the poster, as he's obviously inflammatory, obnoxious, and a Med-El propagandist but the truth of the matter is his post was about Med-El equipment, he included a disclaimer and is factually correct. Med-El implants can do 1.5T MRIs as-is without additional surgery, which is not the case for AB or Cochlear implants which require the magnet to be removed for MRIs.

Perhaps it would be a good idea for you to just stay out of the CI threads, Grummer, as the only thing you've ever provided in these discussions are fearmongering, negativity, and trolling.

Dang. This confirms my inclination not to get a CI because it brings down jetliners. :lol:

Back