Why do some pp with profound loss have usable hearing and others don't?

NaidaUP

Reaction score
Whats the reason behind some people with profound loss (cochlear hair damage) that have usable hearing and other people with same type and amount of loss don't have usable hearing??

Why does it vary so much?

It depends on the age of loss. I would go in details about this, but I'm sure people reading this understand what I am talking about.

Whats the reason behind some people with profound loss (cochlear hair damage) that have usable hearing and other people with same type and amount of loss don't have usable hearing??

I am not sure if i am following you.

I know that our appearance aren't same, why is it?

I just read:
Some people with profound loss have usable hearing and can really benefit from hearing aids.

Not everyone with profound loss can't benefit from hearing aids.

Thats what I read on the internet :)

I then know of people that have profound losses and really struggle with hearing aids, thats why I am curious??

Personally, as I am profoundly deaf, my left (109db) picks up awareness sounds and my right (98db) can pick up quite a bit of speech still and I have had this hearing loss all my life (25years).

opening up a can of worms with that question. To go into great detail would require pages and pages of knowledge.....but in short a few things that go into it

Genes
Amount of Nerve damage (or whatever is causing the hearing loss in the situation)
etc, etc, etc

No two cases are exactly alike, hence no two people will have the same situation

It depends on the person. Someone could have the exact same dB loss but hear very differently than the other and have way different word scores, acoustic reflexes, etc. you have worse hearing in dB than I do but you benefit better from hearing aids than I do. You've also been deaf longer than I have...go figure? Lol I guess it goes to show how little doctors actually know about hearing structures and deafness.my ENT/CI surgeon yesterday said, "deafness sometimes just has an unknown cause" lol

It is about 'frequencies' and the irregular decay of the cochlear hairs. When My hearing was going 1 minute I would hear something the next half a sentence would have gone, so deaf one minute partial hearing the next, SN loss can drag on for years and very debilitating and you get no sympathy at all because this type of loss leads to the "He is only deaf when he wants to be.." jibes, really we have no control over what we can or cannot hear. It was a partial blessing when it all went, no more confusion. SN loss is entirely unpredictable, however some SN loss takes a long time to decay hence why some hear a lot longer.

It is about 'frequencies' and the irregular decay of the cochlear hairs. When My hearing was going 1 minute I would hear something the next half a sentence would have gone, so deaf one minute partial hearing the next, SN loss can drag on for years and very debilitating and you get no sympathy at all because this type of loss leads to the "He is only deaf when he wants to be.." jibes, really we have no control over what we can or cannot hear. It was a partial blessing when it all went, no more confusion. SN loss is entirely unpredictable, however some SN loss takes a long time to decay hence why some hear a lot longer.

What is SN loss?

Regardless, my hearing loss is similar to how you describe it.

Pp say its by age that it can get worse. I actually understand more with my Naidas then I every have. My loss has never changed apart from one freq in the low range.

I have been deaf since age 2. My hearing loss is due to nerve damage caused by spinal meningitis. One ear, I have no hearing at all. The loss in the other is profound. I don't recall ever meeting a single DEAF person in my life. I grew up and still live in a small town. So that could be reason why. Given my circumstances, I had no other choice but to adapt as I was growing up. I rely heavily on lip reading, context and what little hearing I do have to communicate. Without one of those three elements, my understanding of others is greatly diminished.

I wonder why myself. Each ear is crappy in of themselves, being profoundly deaf, but put both hearing aids on, and it's a major difference. I play music, and I work in retail on the floor as a salesperson. I have always been deaf.

I'd imagine a lot of it might depend on when the loss occurred and whether or not they were aided when it happened. For instance if someone was born with hearing loss, but didn't get HA's until much later in life, or went deaf later in life but went a long period of time before they got aids I doubt they'd get as much use for them as someone who went deaf later in life and got aids immediately, or someone who was born with loss but started wearing aids early. You have to know what you're hearing, and if you don't, you have to have the patience to learn. I haven't read the article so I don't know if that's what they're talking about. ASL is not English. So even if someone starts wearing hearing aids, they're not going to understand it. You have to have that knowledge already, or you have you have to go through the whole process of learning. I'm late deafened, without my HA's I'm deaf, but I already know English, so they help. But if someone were speaking Spanish to me, just because I can hear the sounds coming out of their mouth....I'm not going to understand what they're saying.

I'm not getting my hopes up too high about the Totally Implantable CI. ..I fall off the cliff.

But it looks like the Envoy Medical is doing clinical trials on profound high-frequency sensorineural hearing.

Profound high-frequency sensorineural hearing loss treatment with a totally implantable hearing system.

Jack A Shohet, Eric M Kraus, Peter J Catalano

OBJECTIVE This study seeks to assess the efficacy of the Envoy Esteem totally implantable hearing device in treating profound high-frequency sensorineural hearing loss.
PATIENTS Five patients with profound high-frequency hearing loss participating in a prospective, multi-center, nonrandomized Food and Drug Administration clinical trial.
INTERVENTION Implantation with Esteem totally implantable hearing device and comparison to baseline unaided and aided conditions. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURE Speech reception threshold and word recognition scores (WRS) at 50 dB HL presentation level.
RESULTS Preoperative speech reception threshold improved from an unaided 65 dB and aided 48 dB average to 26 dB with the Esteem at 12 months. WRS at 50 dB scores improved from an unaided 10% and aided 23% average to 78% postoperatively.

CONCLUSION The Esteem totally implantable middle ear hearing device provides appreciable functional gain and improvement in WRS to rehabilitate hearing in patients with a profound high-frequency sensorineural hearing loss.

Profound high-frequency sensorineural hearing ... [Otol Neurotol. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Good for the Envoy Medical. More options in the future.

I wonder why myself. Each ear is crappy in of themselves, being profoundly deaf, but put both hearing aids on, and it's a major difference. I play music, and I work in retail on the floor as a salesperson. I have always been deaf.

I find that, altho I can't hear speech out my left, I find I pick up way more in my right when I wear my left as well :)

I think if you miss the crucial years for speech and language development as a toddler, you're pretty much screwed later on. Like potty training, a lot of neural wiring and connections have to be laid down to "hear".

It's a crap shoot with no rhyme or reason. I benefit from hearing aids but incredibly there are people that hear better than me, still need hearing aids, and it just doesn't work for them. It isn't something any doctor can explain - it just is what it is...

Laura

Sign language like ASL is the way to go, period. Why struggle if you are forbidden or were told that you are to talk orally when you have problem not understanding hearing people? In the hearing society like the workplace, you were not allowed to have accommodations and we had to find ways to understand them. That is why we get help from ADA to get our rights to have accommodations in the workplace or elsewhere like meetings. For oral deaf, they need to learn sign language to gain understanding better and feel lift up from their shoulder or chest. It is free to be able to understand when you sign.

Back