Why do i see sometime Captize "d"

spainmale

Reaction score
Why do i see sometimes Captize in "d"? whats difference between deaf and Deaf? Also which hearing impaired or deaf better? for example I am a hearing impaired or deaf?

Ok the small deaf does not associate often with other deaf members of the Deaf community, and have been mainstreamed or never attended a school for the Deaf and for the big Deaf people have a strong deaf identity by having alot of Deaf pride in them and they have attended schools or programs for the Deaf, they are a member of the Deaf Community and more often rather to associate with other deaf than hearing people...

Oh I see...

"D" and "d" in some posts got me wondering, too... Here in Germany use only one word...that's all...

The example of British Way...

"I am deaf"

"I went to Royal School for the Deaf...."

Ok the small deaf does not associate often with other deaf members of the Deaf community, and have been mainstreamed or never attended a school for the Deaf and for the big Deaf people have a strong deaf identity by having alot of Deaf pride in them and they have attended schools or programs for the Deaf, they are a member of the Deaf Community and more often rather to associate with other deaf than hearing people...

I always wondered if a late-deafened person could become a member of the Deaf community. Surely someone who loses their hearing in their 20s or 30s wouldn't have attended a school for the Deaf or had many associations with Deaf people. I'm not being snarky here but really curious.

I always wondered if a late-deafened person could become a member of the Deaf community. Surely someone who loses their hearing in their 20s or 30s wouldn't have attended a school for the Deaf or had many associations with Deaf people. I'm not being snarky here but really curious.

Of course a late-deaf person could become a member of the Deaf Community, but fiting in?, I'm not so sure about that, afterall I had tried to become a member at a Deaf club here in Cleveland and I was judge upon, simple because I mainstreamed at a public school, never attended a school for the Deaf, and also I sign SEE not ASL, and some of them did avoid talking to me...so I felt I wasn't welcome there....I guess it's depends on where you go... :dunno:

I've got a question about Deaf and deaf as well... how strict is the use of lower-case/upper-case D's when writing the word "deaf"? Do you always make sure you use the right case? And when reading do you automatically know what is being talked about when you see the word "deaf" or "Deaf"? Because when I'm reading I read deaf as a state of not hearing almost always, and then realize that they could be talking about Deaf culture and so I have to go back and see what the case on the "D" is.

I've got a question about Deaf and deaf as well... how strict is the use of lower-case/upper-case D's when writing the word "deaf"? Do you always make sure you use the right case? And when reading do you automatically know what is being talked about when you see the word "deaf" or "Deaf"? Because when I'm reading I read deaf as a state of not hearing almost always, and then realize that they could be talking about Deaf culture and so I have to go back and see what the case on the "D" is.

No I am not strict with it but then again, I was told I wasnt deaf enough so I am not Deaf. LOL!

I think those who are big time Deaf will be strict with how they use the d in their sentences.

My understanding of it “deaf” is solely the level of hearing, this is the medical sense. All people who cannot hear are “deaf” but not all “deaf” people are “Deaf”. Big “D” is culturally Deaf. ASL is your language, you associate with other Deaf people, and you have much “Deaf pride”. When I use the two in a post I generally use big “D” when I reference one of my friends or the Deaf community as a whole. If I am talking about the medical condition I use little “d” deaf. I opened a thread a while back with a pole. Almost all (90%) that voted and posted felt that a hearing person could be big “D” Deaf while not being little “d” deaf. If they are fluent in ASL, have a strong association with Deaf culture, and are in the Deaf community constantly that person can be considered culturally Deaf. Big “D” Deaf is all about DEAF PRIDE!!! If you are deaf and oral, have limited to no knowledge of sign, and don’t really associate with other Deafies then you are not considered big “D”. In fact you may see the hearing sign on the forehead about you, meaning you think like a hearing person, this is a derogatory comment.

Of course a late-deaf person could become a member of the Deaf Community, but fiting in?, I'm not so sure about that, afterall I had tried to become a member at a Deaf club here in Cleveland and I was judge upon, simple because I mainstreamed at a public school, never attended a school for the Deaf, and also I sign SEE not ASL, and some of them did avoid talking to me...so I felt I wasn't welcome there....I guess it's depends on where you go... :dunno:

Interesting. Excluding people that are the same. Very confusing, doesn't make sense.

"d" is used to denote the medical definition, as in lack of or impaired hearing. "D" is used to designate a cultural identity.

Interesting. Excluding people that are the same. Very confusing, doesn't make sense.

I know, I wasn't Deaf enough for them I guess :dunno:...

Southern, good post there, I think you have said it alot better than I did....

I am Deaf - a big " D " and, even thou I act like a hearin' person IRL. I am totally D E A F. I can sign ASL, total communication, PSE, and SEE.

I grew up in mainstream schools. I've never been in an institution school for the Deaf in my entire life. I met " different " deaf people in their own languages ( PSE or SEE or ASL or total communication ) and I can understand them pretty well.

A big letter with " D " and small letter with " d " are different from each other. Like what Southern explained, except I am not totally DEAF PRIDE. Just be myself normally. :)

Back