Why do hearing people think?

Lissa

Premium Member
Reaction score
Why do hearing people instantly think that a deaf person was born deaf?

As in one of my lessons we was discussing the distraction test at 9 months and my tutor says to me that if I was tested at birth they would have found out my hearing loss, i went no, then explained.

Not every deaf person was born Deaf!!

Maybe I'm wrong but a few people have assumed I was born deaf which I wasnt

Same here. Most hearing people seem surprised that I was born deaf.

umm some people did ask me if i was born deaf. guess they could tell that i dont speak well too obviously. :D Guess, they are bored to be curious.

Last edited:
Why do hearing people instantly think that a deaf person was born deaf?

As in one of my lessons we was discussing the distraction test at 9 months and my tutor says to me that if I was tested at birth they would have found out my hearing loss, i went no, then explained.

Not every deaf person was born Deaf!!

I dont assume that.... thats kinda stupid... It's like assuming all blind people were born blind... *thats dumb...*

Most hearing people always ask me how I become deaf so based on that, I assume that they think I became deaf from something after my birth. Usually, they r surprised when I tell them I was born deaf.

Perhaps some may ask if you were born deaf or how long have you been deaf, point is some point of contact is made from a hearing person. Perhaps some just don't ask the best way?

As a hearing person I can say that is something I know! There are many reasons out there why a person might turn hoh or deaf whether it is at birth, as a child, teenager or an adult... Also I would never ask a person as to his/her hearing unless they tell me about it. I know one hoh person and I know that it is genetically related... I never questioned our friendship because of that...

Just my two cents ;)

JamieLynn

I get people who don't believe i was born profoundly deaf because i have good speech.
I get into converstations of people who doesn't know me and they say are you foregin, nope i am deaf, they then become louder or open their mouth wider and say "DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME BETTER IF I DO THAT" *sighs* we already had 10 or so mins conversation and i had no problem, so why do they have to change their lip pattern or become louder AFTER i told them i am deaf.
And people apologising to me for being deaf... i was born deaf so i wasn't missing anything so no need to apologise!

I get people who don't believe i was born profoundly deaf because i have good speech.
I get into converstations of people who doesn't know me and they say are you foregin, nope i am deaf, they then become louder or open their mouth wider and say "DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME BETTER IF I DO THAT" *sighs* we already had 10 or so mins conversation and i had no problem, so why do they have to change their lip pattern or become louder AFTER i told them i am deaf.
And people apologising to me for being deaf... i was born deaf so i wasn't missing anything so no need to apologise!

I remember as a little kid standing in the Chinese market with my friend and a standard issue American person would come in.

Chinese proprietor, "Good morning, sir, may I help you?"

Customer in a loud voice, "Me likum rice for fry. You gotum good, good rice today?"

Chinese proprietor, "We have all major brands, sir. Which one would you prefer?"

Customer in louder voice, "Me want lookee see see. You point me where keepum rice for cookee cook?"

Funny, whenever I let people know upfront that I wasn't born deaf, people are surprised and then they ask me how I became deaf.

I tell them I had meningitis when I was nearly 3 years old and when I woke from a 2 week coma, my hearing was gone.

Nerve damage in one ear, so can only wear a hearing aid in one ear.

A lot of deaf people that I know/have met, have told me that they were born deaf. I don't know, it just seems to be a common pattern.

Havent come across anyone assuming I was born deaf. What really does my head in is I tell them I'm deaf and they start making pronounced facial expressions, sticking out their tongue and other stupid things! AAAAAAAAAGGHHH!
Mike

I totally hate hate hate that! If I could understand them just fine before, why make it harder for me to understand them? It doesnt make sense at all! :roll:

Back