Why ASL? Let your deaf child learn to sign. (Youtube Video)

I agree, and my story is similar to yours, but I still don't think ANY deaf child should EVER be denied the ability to learn and use sign language, regardless of whatever else their parents are doing. I'm glad I can lip read as well as I do because of my oralist upbringing but it would have been nice to be able to learn sign alongside that, and I'm not just judging all this based on my upbringing. It's just kind of common sense. I can't imagine nor have I ever seen anyone say "well, my upbringing is different than yours, I am glad I wasn't allowed to learn sign". :hmm:

For me, signing is less tiring (than speaking) and so much easier for communication. Do not need to ramble? on with lots of useless words to make point. :giggle:

Plus, I've always been, how say, artistic so love to describe. Maybe ASL beginning contributed to that, too. Ha! Maybe my Mum knew what she was doing afterall. :laugh2:

:bsflag::thumbd:

No, it is not. I have personally seen that in real life with all of the students I have worked with. Those, especially from Deaf families, who were exposed to ASL during that age, had no language nor critical thinking difficulties later on in life.

Call that bullshit, then you are supporting the language deprivation of deaf children.

Could be a 'defense mechanism?' Maybe deep down really want ASL but, because you do not have, try to convince it is no big deal?

Probably. shel90 would probably get what I mean - being able to speak well and doing well in school academically was all I had to salvage my ego. My mindset was very much that I was superior to deaf people who didn't speak well and communicated in sign only. I needed, after a lifetime of feeling inferior to the hearing, some sense of superiority to some other group of people and in this case, it was the deaf community. Was raised with "you're so lucky you're not one of them who can't talk or do anything. You're so special, so smart, so talented you can speak and go to normal schools..." when this is ingrained into your psyche from birth, it does get ingrained and it took a long long time to get it un-embedded from my pscyche and conscience and consciously acknowlege that apparently, being able to speak but still not able to hear that funny joke someone said that made everyone but me crack up isn't that special after all.

Probably. shel90 would probably get what I mean - being able to speak well and doing well in school academically was all I had to salvage my ego. My mindset was very much that I was superior to deaf people who didn't speak well and communicated in sign only. I needed, after a lifetime of feeling inferior to the hearing, some sense of superiority to some other group of people and in this case, it was the deaf community. Was raised with "you're so lucky you're not one of them who can't talk or do anything. You're so special, so smart, so talented you can speak and go to normal schools..." when this is ingrained into your psyche from birth, it does get ingrained and it took a long long time to get it un-embedded from my pscyche and conscience and consciously acknowlege that apparently, being able to speak but still not able to hear that funny joke someone said that made everyone but me crack up isn't that special after all.

I understand completely. I was raised with same, how do you say, superiority complex that acting 'hearie' equal better than Deaf ASL users. Took a number of years for soul searching to realize that nobody superior. We all same. Humans. Just that Deaf have a very unique way of looking at the world. A unique way that *I* prefer.

Also, just because parents take natural language away from me at 5 does not mean it ever leave me. Always *feel* that speaking wrong language. Like pretending to be something that I am not. A fake. Now? Wow! *SO* different and feel home again. Like back in real body and not pretend one.:giggle:

Oh my gosh..you and I are mirror images of each other!

Yes, I looked down on those who had no speech skills, including my own deaf brother. Sad, isnt it?

That's the kind of damage this oralism philosophy can do. I want it banned.

Oh my gosh..you and I are mirror images of each other!

Yes, I looked down on those who had no speech skills, including my own deaf brother. Sad, isnt it?

That's the kind of damage this oralism philosophy can do. I want it banned.

I want it banned too. It's so wrong.

Same here, actually, except despite all that I kept coming back to "but I have no friends" and as I got older, "but I have no social life" - I knew that something was wrong there because of that, so I always had this tiny thread hanging on to "I should have gotten to learn sign." But the errant thought process that I was one of the "lucky ones" overrode it most of the time, mainly because it was the only way I could cope with the subconscious bitterness, you know, by trying to believe the lie. Eventually the lack of a social life shattered it, even though I always knew it was a lie anyway. I guess it was more of a "look the other way because I felt too helpless to change anything" thing.

Same here, actually, except despite all that I kept coming back to "but I have no friends" and as I got older, "but I have no social life" - I knew that something was wrong there because of that, so I always had this tiny thread hanging on to "I should have gotten to learn sign." But the errant thought process that I was one of the "lucky ones" overrode it most of the time, mainly because it was the only way I could cope with the subconscious bitterness, you know, by trying to believe the lie. Eventually the lack of a social life shattered it, even though I always knew it was a lie anyway. I guess it was more of a "look the other way because I felt too helpless to change anything" thing.

I had no social life either which probably explains why I was so boy-crazy as a teenager, started dating big time at the age of 14 - it was to get that positive attention and companionship. It was a very nice change from being a social reject. Fortunately, the summer between grade 10 and 11 was when I made two very good friends and I'm still best friends with them to this day :)

Geez, do I *ever* know that feeling! Seem easier, when still under parents roof, to just 'go along' with it until you free to change it. Because do not have 'voice' in home. Problem was, my Mum still continue bullshit even when I am grown. *Finally* get hearing aides, in early 30s, and feel like whole new world open to me and *so* excited to tell her. Her comment, "Well, I hope you don't let anyone see them." :roll:

I eventually stop using HA, except for meeting, not because what she say, because proudly show them off, but because find uncomfortable to wear for long period of time and feel them useless. Just magnify what I cannot understand anyhow.

I had no social life either which probably explains why I was so boy-crazy as a teenager, started dating big time at the age of 14 - it was to get that positive attention and companionship. It was a very nice change from being a social reject. Fortunately, the summer between grade 10 and 11 was when I made two very good friends and I'm still best friends with them to this day :)

I did same thing. Look to boys for attention and love. Still had 'social' life, in terms of school activity, but only have 2-3 friends growing up. Am thankful was good athlete or I would have had *NO* life at all.

I can't help but wonder if the parents of a deaf child keep them from learning ASL so that they (parents) don't have to learn it!

Gee, isn't it much *better* (sarcasm) to let the child suffer than to learn something new. Well, it is easier...

I can't help but wonder if the parents of a deaf child keep them from learning ASL so that they (parents) don't have to learn it!

Gee, isn't it much *better* (sarcasm) to let the child suffer than to learn something new. Well, it is easier...

I wonder that a lot too. A frequent argument for oralism I see is "This way the parents can communicate with their child right off instead of having to spend a lot of time learning a new language".

Going to big deaf events here and there over the years adds up. :)

Same here. some kids go to same school where i went to too. I only know people who are older or my age or a few years younger than i am. I did not really socialize with deaf people who are under 25. pfh is way young than i am.

Back