Why are you deaf?

I had many severe head injuries from domestic violence as a young child, one of them landing me in hospital for weeks because something tore and the fluid around my brain leaked out my nose. They say my hearing loss is from that although there is probably a genetic component as my brother's loss is very similar but much milder and he never was hit and grew up with the other parent.

What a :( childhood you had, so sorry to read that!

My loss was due to an ototoxic antibiotic that I was given about 50 years ago. It's a progressive loss so quite profound now. It was a sudden loss at the time, but I didn't really acquaint the deafness with the meds, nor did anyone else. I just went on with my life for a number of years til it was pointed out that I may be HOH and time to get that checked out.

From birth, cord wrapped around my neck during labor and jaundiced.

I was originally born hearing, but 14 hours after birth I caught Rubella, which was a factor in me losing my hearing at 15 months old. Been that way ever since, but now that I'm almost 31, it has been slowly declining, and I will eventually lose it all, but not for a few more years, hopefully.

Ear infections in college with viral meningitis and some possibly present at birth.

I was born premature (6/9 months) and medication caused my hearing loss.

I'm the same as you. I have noticed other people who were deafened as babies from medication normally have a mild to moderate loss..

At 9 months I was diagnosed as severe-profound

I was originally born hearing, but 14 hours after birth I caught Rubella, which was a factor in me losing my hearing at 15 months old. Been that way ever since, but now that I'm almost 31, it has been slowly declining, and I will eventually lose it all, but not for a few more years, hopefully.

Kinda ironic that 48 hours after I posted that my hearing goes. Ah, well.

hearing loss after an infection, otitis, 8 months old. that asshole doctor who had prescribed antibiotics suitable for a racehorse :D.... (one year after the hearing loss, the ministry of health had banned from the market this antibiotic !!)

I'm the same as you. I have noticed other people who were deafened as babies from medication normally have a mild to moderate loss..

At 9 months I was diagnosed as severe-profound

Interesting. Unique to know too.
I mean my hearing is SLOWLY dropping but not drastically. I have sensorinueral and my left is slightly worse than my right but my highs are THIS close to going to severe, on the line too lol On my audiogram it says "Mild to moderately severe"

Mine happened gradually. When I was a kid I blasted my Walkman through the headphones and then I listened to metal music really loud growing up and I've played the guitar for years. I'm sure that's what caused my tinnitus.

I also more than likely have otosclerosis. According to audiologists who have done hearing tests, I can hear high frequencies better than low. I started losing my hearing in the early 2000s and the past couple of years it's gotten worse. It's been difficult adjusting, I've really been in denial about it. The tinnitus is what drives me up the wall. I can hardly hear but there's so much noise. Go figure.

Mine happened gradually. When I was a kid I blasted my Walkman through the headphones and then I listened to metal music really loud growing up and I've played the guitar for years. I'm sure that's what caused my tinnitus.

I also more than likely have otosclerosis. According to audiologists who have done hearing tests, I can hear high frequencies better than low. I started losing my hearing in the early 2000s and the past couple of years it's gotten worse. It's been difficult adjusting, I've really been in denial about it. The tinnitus is what drives me up the wall. I can hardly hear but there's so much noise. Go figure.

I played bass and guitar for years. We liked to play loud. The ringing was brutal for days after every time. I've always had tinnitus as long as i can remember though but it has been getting worse. Hard to sit in a quiet room.

Menier's got me at an early age. And then came around and took the rest of my hearing later. Gotta love Menier's.

I played bass and guitar for years. We liked to play loud. The ringing was brutal for days after every time. I've always had tinnitus as long as i can remember though but it has been getting worse. Hard to sit in a quiet room.
Yep, the louder the better was the attitude of those days. I had a Carvin tube half stack that I would sit in front of when I'd practice. Those tube amps cut right through your ears. I wouldn't have ringing after playing, just maybe at concerts I'd go to, but my tinnitus came on gradually and now it's so loud it's awful. I think I could deal with my hearing loss much better if I didn't have that rushing, whooshing, hissing, ringing and whatever else is going on in there noise in my head 24/7.

From birth, cord wrapped around my neck during labor and jaundiced.
We all have our issues and yours (assuming you are a "sir") well just yikes!!!

Got a little explanation from my partner but she couldn't put it all together. She does cranio-sacral therapy, taught anatomy & physiology I & II, and knows medical stuff; I do not.
So, the cord was wrapped around your neck (she said it's fairly common and doctors watch out for it these days) and that could stop air from getting to you. But why did that cause your
hearing loss? (Can you also give me your age range, too (she asked).)

Last edited:
Congenital and bi-lateral otosclerosis sensori-neural loss. All bones (except stapes' footplate to oval window) replaced with a myriad of "things." Massive ear infections (I remember the pain still) that went on too long. I'll never make this ... I had a gamma-gobulin deficiency that supposedly increased the frequency of infections. Father learned how to give me shots of it until I finally stopped him due to my age (I no longer had the deficiency). Veins were grafted in. Cartilage from both ears (that tiny little bump on the outside of ears) used. Hmmm... during one exam in my mid to late 20s, the last implanted bone worked its way through my scarred ear drum.

My parents kept allowing surgery. I allowed surgery when I was older (it's what I learned) and my guess is despite being born with a loss, fewer surgeries would've stopped a number of issues. My ear canals (called "canal wall down" in the last report from the CI doctor) are hardened making getting earmolds impossible to fit correctly.

When I heard, lower frequencies came in well - hence my desire for a bone conductive aid (BAHA on a soft band?). Higher frequencies were the problem. My partner learned this when we went through a routine of, "Where are we going?" She said (I heard her say), "Wellsfleet." I said "Wellsley?" We went around and around. Her voice for a woman is definitely deeper and that worked for me well until it didn't.

We all have our issues and yours (assuming you are a "sir") well just yikes!!!

Got a little explanation from my partner but she couldn't put it all together. She does cranio-sacral therapy, taught anatomy & physiology I & II, and knows medical stuff; I do not.
So, the cord was wrapped around your neck (she said it's fairly common and doctors watch out for it these days) and that could stop air from getting to you. But why did that cause your
hearing loss? (Can you also give me your age range, too (she asked).)

Kernicterus from jaundice is what would cause the hearing loss.

Scarlett fever

My stepmother too. But that was in the 1930's before antibiotics.

It was epidemic in her town, and her cousin died, so she was lucky just to become deafened.

Kernicterus from jaundice is what would cause the hearing loss.
Bottesini: Ah, I looked up the first word and the inability to get rid of the dead red blood cells makes sense combined with the neurotoxicity sounds horrible. Thanks much for answering.

Back