Why am I getting ear ringing so much?

Reaction score
Lately, I've noticed I have been having ear ringing in my left ear since November. I told my doctor - audiologist- and he asked if I was having any headache or dizziness. I said no. It just rings frequently and he asked me to keep track for a two-three months, two months top. Every time I hear it, it last between a minute to six minutes. Or, a minute to twelve minutes.

I'm deaf in both ears - lost it to ear infection when I was about a year old.

I have been trying to ignore the ringing sound - a whistling almost. It's driving me crazy! Just yesterday in my class, the ringing started around 2:30 pm in class and it has been ringing nonstop until 4:30 pm. That has been the longest I've ever had.

The only changes I had is less music listening since September. I'm in college currently.

It doesn't hurt, just distracting, and only does it in the left ear mainly. My left ear is mostly the dominate one - the one that isn't sensitive to sounds or likes to listen loud noises. At first, I thought it was because my lack of sleep and tried to get at least 9 hours of sleep and that didn't work.

I will be seeing my doctor next month, but it's just getting out of hand.

Does anyone have a similar problem? :( :| :confused:

tinnitus see dr maybe chronic ear infection,tinnitus not uncommon with deaf,i know it can be distracting,...there are things you can get to mask it google it...i know people who use lavender oil to relieve it.i get it from time to time but my daughter and dad have it bad....with daughter sinus infection with dad it due to noise vibration in ww2 or so he said...good luck hope it can be help asap

I get tinnitus off and on and I been waking up with sounds in my head , it does go away after awhile with me. Have you been really sick lately ?

Have ringing and all sorts of noises daily...and musical tennitus ....yes, it's very distracting, annoying and at times hard to concentrate, or you lose ur train of thoughts.....So far, don't believe there is a cure for it....we deafies have it...so,be assured you are not the only one....

Tinnitus can also be triggered (or made worse) by:

Caffeine (coffee, tea, chocolate, soda etc)
Artificial Sweeteners (Aspartame, Splenda, etc)
Dehydration (not drinking enough water)
Stress
Not getting enough quality sleep
Sickness (infection, cold, flu etc)
Allergies (food, environment etc)

I get tinnitus off and on and I been waking up with sounds in my head , it does go away after awhile with me. Have you been really sick lately ?

I'm rarely sick, usually once or twice a year. Last time I was sick was with a cold last Thanksgiving and then, the ear ringing began afterward.

Stress

Well, I can see dehydration may be part of it. I usually drink 4 cups of water a day and work out so much every day at least an hour or so.

Stress, that can be easily pinpointed to college. So, that is most likely on the list.

I rarely get sick, at least once or twice a year. Last time was with a cold on last Thanksgiving.

I'll see what I can do to alter it a bit.

This is about the 3rd recent thread about tinnitus. If you are deaf there isn't much you can do. Hearing people can use some audio gizmo the lessen it. I am so used to mine I rarely think of it.though it does get worse with a cold like now.

Have ringing and all sorts of noises daily...and musical tennitus ....yes, it's very distracting, annoying and at times hard to concentrate, or you lose ur train of thoughts.....So far, don't believe there is a cure for it....we deafies have it...so,be assured you are not the only one....

To me, it's just annoying and I would have to use noise to block the sound or join the crowd noise to avoid it. Other than that, glad to know it's common. My sister has tinnitus herself and she uses the rain sound to soothe her sleep. However, since I don't wear hearing aids to bed, it would be difficult to try to use the same method she uses.

What are you methods to ease down the tinnitus? It's been going on every other hours/half an hour/ten minutes. The longest I ever had is 2 hours and 15 minutes. It was like from starting class until I was free from my meeting. :\

I think. A big reason is because of using hearing aids. I once used HA s and stopped using them cause they made the tinnitus worse

I think. A big reason is because of using hearing aids. I once used HA s and stopped using them cause they made the tinnitus worse

Hm, so I should take a break from my hearing aids for a while? The only problem I would be facing is that my family does not sign - other than my aunt, uncle, and two cousins that does sign - and they're constantly talking. Right now, I am on break and I can take advantage of no hearing aids for a few days.

You might want to look at the thread "Tinnitus" you will see a ton of information. I have been doing a lot of research, even through the Mayo Clinic. I don't see anything that will help me and to be honest it has become pretty debilitating. Most of mine we believe is coming from a brain issue I had when I became deaf. I am still doing everything I can so maybe one day it will quiet down.

You might want to look at the thread "Tinnitus" you will see a ton of information. I have been doing a lot of research, even through the Mayo Clinic. I don't see anything that will help me and to be honest it has become pretty debilitating. Most of mine we believe is coming from a brain issue I had when I became deaf. I am still doing everything I can so maybe one day it will quiet down.

I will definitely look into it and read more about it. I may have to get into this if I want to ease it down a little bit.

Hm, interesting. I always imagined that our brain and ear is trying to reach out for sounds, trying to hear something, and function properly. I have read an article where the world most silent room, a person's ear is trying to pick up sounds has caused their brain to have hallucination for its desperation.

So far, I noted it is the environment I am in. At home, I hear less of the ringing. However, on campus, it becomes frequently to hear it within an hour to three hours. Unless I am asleep.

If you wear hearing aids, there are hearing aids with tinnitus relief things inside them (I think they play noises). The Audeo Q has it and I believe the Widex has one as well.

The new Naida Q does not have it tho which is a shame.

If you wear hearing aids, there are hearing aids with tinnitus relief things inside them (I think they play noises). The Audeo Q has it and I believe the Widex has one as well.

Yea .. it's a sort of white noise thing that stops the ringing. You don't really hear it unless it's really quiet :)

I do wear hearing aids and last time I checked my Naida does have tinnitus relief program. I might ask my audiologist about it when I see him in a few weeks. Just about a month ago, he told me to keep track of each time I heard it and the most I haven't heard was five days. It just returned on Sunday and increased today. I had forgotten about it until the ringing. So, I will be seeing him in May about this.

I do wear hearing aids and last time I checked my Naida does have tinnitus relief program. I might ask my audiologist about it when I see him in a few weeks. Just about a month ago, he told me to keep track of each time I heard it and the most I haven't heard was five days. It just returned on Sunday and increased today. I had forgotten about it until the ringing. So, I will be seeing him in May about this.

Phonak have never done a tinnitus relief feature until the Audeo Q. I've been told none of the Naidas including the new Naida Q have the tinnitus relief feature.

Widex are known for the tinnitus feature and others are now taking it on.

Phonak have never done a tinnitus relief feature until the Audeo Q. I've been told none of the Naidas including the new Naida Q have the tinnitus relief feature.

Widex are known for the tinnitus feature and others are now taking it on.

I'd probably got it mixed up. If it doesn't have it, then is there any recommendation to ease the ear ringing? I get it at least 5 - 20 times per day. It's getting to the point of being annoying to hear it.

I thought it could be dehydration problem, but I measured how much water I get in a day and it's 6 to 8 cups a day. So, I am eliminating that problem now.

Stress

Considering i'm a stressed out no sleep coffee drinker with mad allergies it's no wonder my ears are always ringing. I always thought it was from life kicking me in the head :lol:

Back