Whose responsibility?

ClearSky

Reaction score
Hello,

I am thinking of attending a school that's not college. Anyway, I called to schedule an appointment to tour the school. I got the appointment, and the person asked, "will you be bringing an interpreter with you?" I said that I didn't need one because I read lips. I thought it was odd that she asked if I would be bringing one. Shouldn't it be them asking, "do you need an interpreter?" instead?

Anyway, it's not a problem, but I am always afraid in the back of my head to make a move to attend a school because of how they will react to my needs for accommodations. I know I need to contact VR for help in this should I need accomodations. When I was in college, I never worried because it's a college that had a disability office. The school I go to do not have a disability office because it's a specialized school.

Do you think I should contact my VR counselor after I have toured the schools I am interested in applying or should I wait until after I have toured the schools to contact VR?

Do you know if VR pays for accommodations needs or does the school pay for all? Does VR pay half and the school half? How does it work? Does anyone know?

It doesn't matter that it isn't a college. If it is an educational institution, and is open to public enrollment, they fall under the same guidelines that a college or university falls under. Make sure to advocate for yourself, and request in writing the accommodations that you need. If they refuse, keep records of who you spoke with, when and what reason they are giving for refusal. The ADA covers this situation, too.

Good luck, and if you have any questions, I will be glad to try and answer them. Most of all, be assertive.

Thank you. I really hope that my fears are not real, and that they will be cooperative. I will have VR involved to help.

Back