Who would actually relocate for love?

KStiletto

Reaction score
I'm always interested by stories of people who move for love. That means changing your life, different job, different apartment, leaving some family behind. How do you know its worth it? When do you know its worth it? Who would do it, and who won't? What is too far, and how long do you wait from online contact do you move

Well, for me, when you're with someone, you either feel the "spark" between the 2 of you or you don't. THat is when you know you have a future with this person.

For me, I won't mind relocating with the right person. If you don't want to relocate, that is fine. UP to each of their choices.

If the relationship is already established, then of course the couple wants to try to stay together as much as possible.

During the early years of our marriage, I got an opportunity to travel overseas and advance in my career. However, I felt it was important for me as a wife and mother to stay with my family even though it was a huge financial cost. So, when my seven years were up, I didn't reenlist.

When it was time for Hubby to move, we went with him. We had to bear some separations when we weren't allowed to accompany him but any other times we stayed together.

So, I would say, it's worth it to be with your loved one, even at financial cost and leaving behind family and friends for new places.

Second what Reba said, and I would emphasize *established* relationship, not someone you only know from on-line.

My husband and I met and eventually married while living overseas. We married almost exactly two years after we met. A LOT of thought went into it.

For a while we were both able to maintain our jobs (he worked for an international company that had jobs all over the world, including the U.S.), but eventually push came to shove and he quit to follow me in my career.

After we had returned to and lived in the U.S. for several years, he finally became a U.S. citizen. So for him, moving and following me meant a bigger change in his life than it did for me. He's glad he did it, obviously. It was a very serious decision, lots of talk between us before we went ahead with the marriage, and then before he went ahead with quitting his job to follow me in mine, and again before he decided to give up his British citizenship and become an American.

So far, so good. We will celebrate our 25th anniverary in October.

I would not relocate for just anyone.

If I were in a long term relationship, and we know we will have future together, then I might consider it.

Funny because I have professional opportunities all over the world, if I wanted them, and my boyfriend has already told me that wherever I am he will be also.

Wirelessly posted

I would second Reba's comment, if the relationship is established then do so, better than being apart.

I would never move for a man I meet on line! did you hear on the news about some guy using an online dating site and he posted that he was handsome intelligent , single etc, and women where giving him money. I saw the guy on the news, he fat and not good looking at all and he was married and arrested !

I would.....but then again I move for no reason at all.

NO....I'm not a nomad for love....long distance romances are hard to maintain. And I've never had one "online"...and how can you "date" someone you've never met in person?...Anyhow, if that person lived in Alaska where it's cold and wanted me to relocate there...I'd tell him to go get a popcicle! If that person lived in Florida, I might consider it, but I've got roots where I live and that means a lot to me.

I think the older we get, the more we get settled in to a place with work and social life and family and friends and so on, and it's really, really hard to leave that. Plus maybe we get a bit more realistic (or cynical?) about "love" and what the chances are of things working out.

When I was 25, if I had fallen head over heels in love with someone who lived - well, anywhere at all, really - I would have followed that person in a heart-beat.

Now? Even if I should find myself widowed one of these years, I'm not moving anyplace unless I just want to change location in itself. Like getting fed up with D.C. traffic, which is certainly possible.

Lol, about D.C. traffic.

Yea what I should have added in the original post was "Would you relocate for new love?" Or something like that. I'm talking about a brand new relationship, nothing to were there was history.

Lol, about D.C. traffic.

Yea what I should have added in the original post was "Would you relocate for new love?" Or something like that. I'm talking about a brand new relationship, nothing to were there was history.

Never! :giggle:

My wife live in SC and we had a serious discussion about living together. She know that I live in DC area where traffic is horrible. I explained to her that I can't leave the job because it's excellent pay and I don't see how I could get a better job in SC area. Secondly I told her that it going to be lot of impact on her living here because she's not used to high life and fast pace society, traffic and such. So, she's willing to sacrifice her job and move here. At first it was hard on her because of her job is in Springfield, VA (hour and half drive!) due to Woodrow Wilson Bridge construction and blah blah. She tried hard to adjust it. However she enjoyed her new job immensely because of wide range of diversity compare to her old job just dealing with children. After WWB construction completed and moving to new location for her, she now only drive 45 minutes to work. Later, she did say "It's well worth it for me to move here!! Because of so much excitements around here!!"

I'd say to the OP, it really depends on alot of things. Most people move because they need or want change or need to sever ties or getting a fresh start. those people have little or nothing to lose. When moving for love, how far away would you be from your family ? how close to your family are you?

Back when I was in 20's I would have moved to anywhere for love. Now I have kids and my roots are here for them.

I relocated to be with my husband before we married. After his death, I relocated again out of love for my son (to obtain access to a great deaf school). You never have a guarantee that things will work out as you plan. But life is an adventure.

I relocated to be with my husband before we married. After his death, I relocated again out of love for my son (to obtain access to a great deaf school). You never have a guarantee that things will work out as you plan. But life is an adventure.

Yes it is. It is the journey that brings you joy. Gonna take a deep breath and forsake my state. :P

Someone took that risk for me once...moved across the country on faith alone. It worked out great. Now I can't get rid of him and he's taking up all my closet space and eats my chips before I can get a bite. ;)

Back