Who what to be the first ever deaf president?

ndokuo

Reaction score
The world will not end unless a deaf person becomes a president of a country. I pray to god! Want to be a president?

A Deaf president would be so cool. Maybe more people will learn to sign:)

As long as I'm fantasizing, we can make ASL the official language in the US. Everyone uses VP. For hearies who don't sign, they wait for a VRS interpreter. Sometimes businesses hang up on them. It's very frustrating;)

Ronald Reagan was HOH , and I did not vote for him. But it had nothing to do with him being HOH , I just never liked the guy.

Why is it so important? Who give the f[censored] if our President is deaf, black, Hispanic, poor, etc...? I mean, this President is human being and we pick the person who can lead our country.

Agreed that being able to lead the country well is the most important thing. Still I think it would be awesome to have a Deaf president. Because it would massively improve awareness about deafness and Deaf culture in the general population, and maybe help change some people's perspectives.

Will it? I doubt it. It will never improve deaf world awareness.

Maybe you're right, I don't know. At this moment I'm thinking of one example: I remember being at a Deaf event and a guy was telling a story about how he was walking down the street and this guy just blew up at him, came out of nowhere all furious, and it was really disorienting and upsetting. Turns out the guy had been several paces behind him, going "Hey-" "Hey man-" "Hey!" "HEY I'M TALKING TO YOU!!!" etc., until he was in a rage, thinking the guy was blowing him off. Not just blowing him off, but being really rude about it, walking along as though he didn't even hear him.

Of course, he didn't hear him.

Why did the hearing guy get so upset?

Because it never remotely occurred to him that the Deaf guy might be deaf.

Why didn't it?

Because alot of hearing people just never come into contact with deaf people. Deafness is something that never hits their radar, and Deaf issues don't cross their path. Before I found out I could study ASL here, and then found out about all the other great resources on the language and culture that I've become really interested in, I never ever thought about deaf people. I didn't know any, and the subject never came up with anyone I knew.

Now my world is really different. I have Deaf friends, and I spend every spare moment trying to improve my signing. It would occur to me, if I were calling out to someone and they didn't respond, that they might be deaf. Two years ago it would not.

If we had a Deaf president, I bet alot of people would at least start to shift a little in that direction.

Last edited:
amylynne-albums-what-picture6159-grummer.jpg

Kate Smith says:

God Bless America

And Vote for Grummer!

Sandwiches for Everyone!!!

Why is it so important? Who give the f[censored] if our President is deaf, black, Hispanic, poor, etc...? I mean, this President is human being and we pick the person who can lead our country.

I could care less , I was just saying we already had a HOH president . And one in a w/c and JFK had a bad back and other health issues.

That's Why Darkies Were Born
Kate Smith
Henderson & Brown

Someone had to pick the cotton,
Someone had to pick the corn,
Someone had to slave and be able to sing,
That's why darkies were born;

Someone had to laugh at trouble,
Though he was tired and worn,
Had to be contented with any old thing,
That's why darkies were born;

Sing, sing, sing when you're weary and