Who says you can't?

I saw an inspiring story about a doctor. He was a "little person," and he kept applying until a med school accepted him. The med schools made excuses like he can't reach the examining table, xray, etc. When a med school finally accepted him, not only did he become a dr, he became an orthopedic surgeon. No small feat! (No pun intended.)

Keep going until you reach your goals!

You only think you can't because you're allowing others to bring yourself down. All you need to do is change the Status Quid Pro meaning, you can change it to divert it to yourself. Be confident. Be firm. Be adamant. Be everything you can for what you want for yourself, not for what others want you to become of. So, I say, be consistent and persistent - then you can do it.

Go for it and what do you have to lose when you don't know if you could try it? I think it's great you're setting a goal for yourself as an RN or somewhere along in the medical field.

I saw an inspiring story about a doctor. He was a "little person," and he kept applying until a med school accepted him. The med schools made excuses like he can't reach the examining table, xray, etc. When a med school finally accepted him, not only did he become a dr, he became an orthopedic surgeon. No small feat! (No pun intended.)

Keep going until you reach your goals!

No small feat - No small feet --- good pun.
Now if he passed away and somebody who had to fill his position, would have a big shoe to fill. :)

shel90

Why are people saying you can't?

I am completely 100% Deaf :deaf::D

Oh, the usual same reasons.

"Don't you need hearing to be able to do things that a person with hearing can do? Take blood pressure, answer pages...Blah Blah Blah" or "How do you think hearing people would feel if they met with a deaf doctor or nurse?"

I always asked them this question in response to the latter above. "How do you think HoH or Deaf people feel about meeting a hearing doctor or nurse???"

It's like I said before, people fear what they don't understand.

I spent my entire life reading into that crap of "No you can't".

No more.

It pisses me off to no end when some of the hearing perspective is that I am, medically inefficient to being what I want to be, just because I am Deaf.

Bull!

Bottesini

She may have to look for a school that accepts her. Some require students to be hearing.

I will become a thorn in their side until I get accepted if I have too!!!:naughty:

Where I live, there are not many Deaf people here. There is, as far as I know, only me. So there is that mentality, from some, of "Oh she is different from us." They haven't been infused with a Deaf Culture or community to understand.

I am completely 100% Deaf :deaf::D

Oh, the usual same reasons.

"Don't you need hearing to be able to do things that a person with hearing can do? Take blood pressure, answer pages...Blah Blah Blah" or "How do you think hearing people would feel if they met with a deaf doctor or nurse?"

I always asked them this question in response to the latter above. "How do you think HoH or Deaf people feel about meeting a hearing doctor or nurse???"

It's like I said before, people fear what they don't understand.

I spent my entire life reading into that crap of "No you can't".

No more.

It pisses me off to no end when some of the hearing perspective is that I am, medically inefficient to being what I want to be, just because I am Deaf.

Bull!

I will become a thorn in their side until I get accepted if I have too!!!:naughty:

Where I live, there are not many Deaf people here. There is, as far as I know, only me. So there is that mentality, from some, of "Oh she is different from us." They haven't been infused with a Deaf Culture or community to understand.

Go for it. I am from Iowa too. Apparently you have missed me.

The real question is not "can you be a nurse because you are Deaf", but "are you qualified to enter nursing school". We all know that Deaf have to prove ourselves more than hearing people must, but take a step back. Do you have the qualifications required to apply to nursing school? As long as you can perform the essential functions of the program and of nursing, the law is on your side. It may be a fight, but any dream worth having is worth fighting for.

Please visit AMPHL - Association of Medical Professionals with Hearing Losses You'll find lots of deaf and hoh nurses, doctors, therapists, vets, and other medical professionals.

The real question is not "can you be a nurse because you are Deaf", but "are you qualified to enter nursing school". We all know that Deaf have to prove ourselves more than hearing people must, but take a step back. Do you have the qualifications required to apply to nursing school? As long as you can perform the essential functions of the program and of nursing, the law is on your side. It may be a fight, but any dream worth having is worth fighting for.

Please visit AMPHL - Association of Medical Professionals with Hearing Losses You'll find lots of deaf and hoh nurses, doctors, therapists, vets, and other medical professionals.

Are you a deaf doctor?

Don't allow others to bring you down, you just go with confidence, walk with your chin up and put your heart into the nursing profession :) I wish we lived closer, bec I am applying for RADtech school or Medical Assistant will see what happens :)

I agree with all-yes, go for it! What matters is how YOU feel about it, not how others feel about it!

Are you a deaf doctor?

Yes, but I am late-deafened, long after I finished my training. But I have learned ASL and am continuing to work with some accomodations--an interpreter, assistance with stethoscope/auscultating. It can be done.

Yes you can. I am an RN work in OR, progressive profound deaf and a good RN. But words of advice...check collages to make sure they dont have pre-existing discriminating attitudes and don't think it will be easy. Work hard and smart and get a support system. If you want it badly enough then you can find a way. Good luck to you.:hug::thumb: Oh and FYI= I am a mentor on AMPHL

With the economy as it is, and myself being laid off, I have been toying with the idea of going to school to be a Registered Nurse.

I have always wanted to be in the medical field, however I get a lot of people saying I can't.

Prove to me I can't.

Because I believe I can.

What do you think?

Everyone on this site always makes me want to be deaf, if only for a day =]. By the way, I am very very very new to Deaf communities and ASL and I'm looking for a teacher (and a friend) to help me going along with my studies in learning the language. If you're interested in helping me email me at parryfamily6@live.com

With the economy as it is, and myself being laid off, I have been toying with the idea of going to school to be a Registered Nurse.

I have always wanted to be in the medical field, however I get a lot of people saying I can't.

Prove to me I can't.

Because I believe I can.

What do you think?

Don't listen what people say. They probably are jealous. For me, go for it!!! :)

Don't worry people told me that I could never talk, I spoke, people told me that I could never go to school, I passed with distinctions in 5 subjects, people told me I will never make it at university, I got two degrees....People told me I will never find a job, I work at a firm!!

Screw people...welcome life!! We only got 1! So girl, start living...

I am not completely deaf, so were are not exactly in the same boat, but I do have a mod-severe hearing loss. I am currently in school for nursing and work in a hospital. It is very hard, but it can be done. People will treat you like you are incompetent, but you can't let them get you down. Some days I come home crying because it is so hard, but I know I can do it and my hard work will pay off! You can do anything you want as long as you are willing to do the work! Go for it! :)

I am profoundly deaf, and I am starting a 4-year nursing program this Monday the 21st with the goal of becoming an RN. I spent all summer applying for it. I'm gonna make something of myself because I absolutely must! Failure is not an option!

My mom's in school now and she's studying medical terms she's never seen before. Earlier she asked me to flip some flash cards and she remembered everything.

Nothing can stop you if you are determined to go after what you want out of life. The only person stopping you is you.

I say go for it and good luck.

Well, I know for one thing, You CAN get a degree! nothing can stop you from getting the knowledge. I would be happy to display a degree on my wall as a accomplishment even if I have a hard time getting a job. But as far as getting a job, you will have to make sure you have plenty of accommodation.

my older severe HOH sister has a degree on counseling and she is proud of that. But she end up quitting her job as a social service because she couldn't handle the phone communication. It frustrated her badly.

Funny is I spent 13 years at a company that says I couldnt do anything especially when I passed their forklift license and didnt get to do anything challenging....That was until I got laid off and ended up at the Walmart...

Walmart gave me everything off the start but they knew I would have to work hard to prove to them I could do anything the managers ask me to do. I gladly took on their scanner gun picks challenge and beat it easy. My best challenge there was to take on "Big Joe", their pallet stacker walk-behind forklift and "The Beast", a electric pallet jack. It took a bit of practice, but I passed both of them pretty quickly. My supervisor had much confidence that I could handle anything walmart could throw at me and boy was he impressed lol. So he issued me my walmart forklift driver's license on the spot.

Back