Who said that????

Codger

Reaction score
No fair googeling now! Who said all these quotes?

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.

If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.

God does not play dice.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

In order to form an immaculate member of a flock of sheep one must, above all, be a sheep.

There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.

The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one.

Very Good Y!

"Girls are like pianos. When they're not upright, they're grand." :jaw:

Codger said:
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
That's my favorite quote by Einstein.

Codger said:
"Girls are like pianos. When they're not upright, they're grand." :jaw:
Uhh, by Mr Hill? I forget his name.. Bobby Hill. Bradey?

Magatsu said:
Uhh, by Mr Hill? I forget his name.. Bobby Hill. Bradey?
Benny Hill the British comenian! Yep! He was hilarious!

Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot.

A day without laughter is a day wasted.

You have to believe in yourself, that's the secret. Even when I was in the orphanage, when I was roaming the street trying to find enough to eat, even then I thought of myself as the greatest actor in the world.

Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of oneself.

In the end, everything is a gag.

Nothing is permanent in this wicked world - not even our troubles.

All I need to make a comedy is a park, a policeman and a pretty girl.

Man as an individual is a genius. But men in the mass form the headless monster, a great, brutish idiot that goes where prodded.

is well that war is so terrible - we would grow too fond of it

This war is not about slavery' (said whilst letting his slaves go)

What a cruel thing is war: to separate and destroy families and friends, and mar the purest joys and happiness God has granted us in this world; to fill our hearts with hatred instead of love for our neighbors, and to devastate the fair face of this beautiful world.

We failed, but in the good providence of God apparent failure often proves a blessing.

Never do a wrong thing to make a friend or to keep one.

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less.

In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.

I like whiskey. I always did, and that is why I never drink it.

Codger said:
Benny Hill the British comenian! Yep! He was hilarious!

Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot.

A day without laughter is a day wasted.

You have to believe in yourself, that's the secret. Even when I was in the orphanage, when I was roaming the street trying to find enough to eat, even then I thought of myself as the greatest actor in the world.

Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of oneself.

In the end, everything is a gag.

Nothing is permanent in this wicked world - not even our troubles.

All I need to make a comedy is a park, a policeman and a pretty girl.

Man as an individual is a genius. But men in the mass form the headless monster, a great, brutish idiot that goes where prodded.
I know these quotes.. it is by British actor but I couldn't remember the name. Sorry :/

Magatsu said:
I know these quotes.. it is by British actor but I couldn't remember the name. Sorry :/
Charlie Chapalin Magatsu, and you were right, he was British also. No guess on the other one?

I'm a little lost, is each line you have shown to us, separate quotes said by separate famous people? If so, only a few people has come into mind for me;

Red Skeleton
Laurel and Hardy
Abbott and Castello
Milton Berle
George Burns
Jackie Mason
Lenny Bruce
George Carlin
Jackie Gleason
Redd Foxx
Robin Williams

yes I know they all are comedians so I'm just thowing something at this. :D

Codger said:
is well that war is so terrible - we would grow too fond of it

This war is not about slavery' (said whilst letting his slaves go)

What a cruel thing is war: to separate and destroy families and friends, and mar the purest joys and happiness God has granted us in this world; to fill our hearts with hatred instead of love for our neighbors, and to devastate the fair face of this beautiful world.

We failed, but in the good providence of God apparent failure often proves a blessing.

Never do a wrong thing to make a friend or to keep one.

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less.

In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.

I like whiskey. I always did, and that is why I never drink it.

Honest Abe?

Roadrunner said:
Honest Abe?
A very good guess Roadrunner! But wrong. All those quotes were from Robert E. Lee, son of Revolutionary war hero Lighthorse Harry Lee.

One of the quotes, by the way is incorrect. This one:"This war is not about slavery' (said whilst letting his slaves go)". He freed his slaves 10 years before the war, and during the war offered the Confederacy a plan to emancipate all the slaves.

Check this link to Rev. William Mack Lee, one of his freed slaves.
http://www.sonofthesouth.net/leefoundation/lees slave.htm

Also note that Lee inherited the slaves as a part of his wife's dowery. His wife was a decendant of George Washington.

"I was raised by one of the greatest men in the world. There was never one born of a woman greater than Gen. Robert E. Lee, according to my judgment. All of his servants were set free ten years before the war, but all remained on the plantation until after the surrender."-Rev. William Mack Lee -1918

Here's another one (all by the same guy like the others were):

An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

An onion can make people cry, but there has never been a vegetable invented to make them laugh.

Ancient Rome declined because it had a Senate; now what's going to happen to us with both a Senate and a House?

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.

Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it.

Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.

I belong to no organized party. I am a Democrat.

I was not a child prodigy, because a child prodigy is a child who knows as much when it is a child as it does when it grows up.

I'm not a real movie star. I've still got the same wife I started out with twenty-eight years ago.

Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip.

Nothing you can't spell will ever work.

On account of being a democracy and run by the people, we are the only nation in the world that has to keep a government four years, no matter what it does.

Our constitution protects aliens, drunks and U.S. Senators.

Codger said:
A very good guess Roadrunner! But wrong. All those quotes were from Robert E. Lee, son of Revolutionary war hero Lighthorse Harry Lee.

One of the quotes, by the way is incorrect. This one:"This war is not about slavery' (said whilst letting his slaves go)". He freed his slaves 10 years before the war, and during the war offered the Confederacy a plan to emancipate all the slaves.

Ahh...yes, I did considered either General Grant or General Lee since the last line/quote; "I like whiskey. I always did, and that is why I never drink it." didn't look like something that Abraham Lincoln would have commented on. As for Lee himself, it is a known fact that he was more of a superior and splendid general than Grant was...Thanks for the enlightment about his father and wife...which is worthy to take note of! ;)

Grant was rather an enigma. He was a great man no doubt, but fought his own demons as well as his enemies. His Generalmanship was rather brutish and his presidency is not well remembered. Here are a few of his quotes:

"The right of revolution is an inherent one. When people are oppressed by
their government, it is a natural right they enjoy to relieve themselves of
oppression, if they are strong enough, whether by withdrawal from it, or by
overthrowing it and substituting a government more acceptable."
- General Ulysses S. Grant

"I never knew what to do with a paper except to put it in a side pocket or
pass it to a clerk who understood it better than I did"
- General Ulysses S. Grant, about paperwork and administration

Yeah, your posts remind me of Benny Hill and Charles Chaplin.

They are my favorite comdiean...

Yes, they are British.

Yes, Benny Hill is a correct name.

Here is another Benny hill quote:

"The odds against there being a bomb on a plane are a million to one, and against two bombs a million times a million to one. Next time you fly, cut the odds and take a bomb."
Benny Hill

I love British humor! "Are you being served", Monty Python, hilarious in it's audacity!

Codger said:
... His wife was a decendant of George Washington.
Oops....George Washington was "Father of Our Country", but he never fathered any children.

Ha ha ha ha ! Almost got me eh? Historymeister scores again! :applause:

George Washington
Parke Custis

Born at Mount Airy, Maryland, on April 30, 1781, his parents were John Parke and Eleanor (Calvert) Custis. He attended St. John's College and Princeton University. He married Mary Lee Fitzhugh in 1804 and they had one daughter, Mary (later Mrs. Robert E. Lee).

He was commissioned Colonel, United States Army, and aide-de-camp to General Charles Cotesworth Pinckney in 1799 and was a volunteer in the defense of Washington, D.C. during the War of 1812.

He was the adopted son of George Washington after the death of his parents. He built Arlington House as a tribute to, and to hold the belongings of, General George Washington.

Back