Who is HOH?

bailey7

Reaction score
Just wondering.

Who is considered HOH? Is anyone with any hearing loss HOH?

Thanks!

I am mildly HOH because I am born with a mild hearing loss.

Who is considered HOH? Is anyone with any hearing loss HOH?
people with unilateral losses are considered hoh....also people with "deaf" losses who can hear with aids or CI are considered hoh.....I think it runs the gamut.

deafdyke said:
people with unilateral losses are considered hoh....also people with "deaf" losses who can hear with aids or CI are considered hoh.....I think it runs the gamut.

Well, if we take the definition of what HOH means, then anybody who can't hear in some form or fashion without some assistance would be HOH. It doesn't matter if the deafness is mild, profound or truly deaf.

The only category of people who I'm not quite sure whether to classify them as HOH are those with one good ear and the other ear labeled HOH. Technically speaking they are not HOH as they don't need assistance to hear normally. However that being said, they do miss some things if on their bad side but probably not worth arguing about as it would be the "quite" sounds not the louder sounds as the other ear would catch it.

Well I think hoh means that you have quite a bit of speech perception with assistance....

1 in seven people in england are hard of hearing... or deaf...

i am one of the hoh crowd of england ;)

it depend on individual opinion. Some people will consider themselve hoh, while other deaf or Deaf. Some people with cochlear implant consider themself hoh, some consider themself deaf, etc and so on same for hearing aids and people who can speak well are always consider hoh which is not true because i am deaf, i have 80 to 120 db hearing loss, and i can speak very well because my parent trained me when i was a little girl. Many people would come up to me or say automaticly that i am HOH cuz i can speak. Same for those who get c.i, they are deaf period cuz once the ci is turned off you cant hear anything!. When i get my CI I will consider myself still deaf not hoh.

darkangel8603 said:
it depend on individual opinion. Some people will consider themselve hoh, while other deaf or Deaf. Some people with cochlear implant consider themself hoh, some consider themself deaf, etc...
Same for those who get c.i, they are deaf period cuz once the ci is turned off you cant hear anything!. When i get my CI I will consider myself still deaf not hoh.

Interesting you say that, given I have been on both sides of the fence. When I had my HA, I would have considered myself HOH. This was true as I could still hear things (unaided) abeit they had to be loud noises. Now, with a CI, I would have to consider myself deaf which since I can't normally hear anything no matter how loud it is.

i'm deaf but when i talk to a person with normal hearing i will say hoh because if i say deaf and i can still hear them they will think i am lying .Yeah im hoh with ci /ha on and deaf without them

Mc Gusto said:
i'm deaf but when i talk to a person with normal hearing i will say hoh because if i say deaf and i can still hear them they will think i am lying .Yeah im hoh with ci /ha on and deaf without them

Yea, I know what you mean. It depends on whose perspective we are talking about... I think the bit about speech throws everybody off as it doesn't always indicated the true state of affairs.

I am HOH, and I do wear hearing aids, but communicate in oral and very very few in sign languages. I first learn how to SEE (Signing Exact English) when I was almost 17 years old. Been in oral and public school all my life and never had an interpreters or anything, but I had a notetakers in classes for me.

I am curious, does HOH mean "deaf-deaf" even with hearing aids? I thought HOH means you can hear those voices and noises? Deaf means you can't hear NOTHING, no voices or noises? Am I right?

I consider myself as HOH or hearing impaired, cause I wears hearing aids, I can talk, I can speak and I can hear noises.

My husband had NO ideas in sign languages, and my husband and I communicate in oral and we understand perfectly. I tried to teach my son Kyler in some sign languages when he was a baby, and he has signs couple words like milk, water, please, bed, eat, etc, but just few weeks ago, I started to notice that he is not signing anymore, and starting to talk more and more.

CrazyRedHeadWV said:
I am curious, does HOH mean "deaf-deaf" even with hearing aids? I thought HOH means you can hear those voices and noises? Deaf means you can't hear NOTHING, no voices or noises? Am I right?

What you thought should be correct. As I mentioned earlier, speech per se has no bearing on what your actual state of hearing. You can be HOH and need to use HA to hear. You could have been HOH but now are deaf when you get a CI (assumes good ear was implanted and the other ear doesn't work - like me). You could have been HOH and then became deaf (maybe later get a CI) or were deaf all along (may or may not gotten a CI). The semantics can get hairy here...

sr171soars said:
What you thought should be correct. As I mentioned earlier, speech per se has no bearing on what your actual state of hearing. You can be HOH and need to use HA to hear. You could have been HOH but now are deaf when you get a CI (assumes good ear was implanted and the other ear doesn't work - like me). You could have been HOH and then became deaf (maybe later get a CI) or were deaf all along (may or may not gotten a CI). The semantics can get hairy here...

I had my hearing test and hoped to get CI, but my doctors told me that I don't need CI... My hearing was too good to get CI.. :ugh: And I am still wearing hearing aids all day. Before I go to sleep, I take my hearing aids off, and first thing in the morning after shower, I put my hearing aids on. I can't live WITHOUT hearing aids.

In where I works in government and my family NEVER say that I am deaf, they always say, Hearing Impaired...

I remember my mom tell her friends at her work, that she got hearing impaired daughter and I remember my boss telling other people that she want to introduce hearing impaired staff.

I am actually HOH. I would prefer to call myself deaf because if i take my hearing aid out, I cant hear anything at all. That why I consider myself deaf anyway. I became HOH when i had brochonical pneumonia when i was 3 month old. Also I was born a month premature. I had to stay in hospital for few months until I feel better. My mom didnt find out when I was deaf when I was 3 years old. How she find out? Well, I was a kid and playing with my toys. It was time for bed for me so my mom called my name and tells me time for bed. I couldn't hear my mom calling me. I just continuing playing to toys. My mom had to take the toy away from me and I was so angry wanted to have my toys back. My mom telling me it time for bed and I went to bed crying getting in trouble with her. So my mom figured something wrong. My mother took me to the audiologist to take some hearing test. The audiologist says I am deaf. My mom couldnt believe the audiologist. So she took me to another audiologist for second opinion. The second audiologist said the same thing. So my mom had to accept the fact I am deaf. My mom felt sad that she had a deaf child so she had to accept that. Then later she took me to deaf school in Maine for few years. Then later moved to New Hampshire, went to hearing school with Deaf and Hard of Hearing program that put deaf students with hearing students in a hearing school. I been struggled to stay in school until finally I graduated from high school in 1994. it been tough staying in school. If you are in high school, do not quit. Do not give up. High school diploma is very important for you for your future job. plus you can get into college. Quitting school not going to do any good.

I personally think of myself as hoh/Deaf ...

For me Hoh means that you have hearing loss which impacts the "speech range" , but you still are able to & and are reasonably comfortable communicating orally/listening most of the time.

Actually I have a page on my website dedicated to hearing loss and a section on "what's in a name" where I give MY personal opinion ( not scientific, just my thoughts as a hoh/Deaf person) on all the various names we use for ourselves...

If you have a min I'd love for you guys to check it out my hoh/deaf page , and let me know what you think - offer some POSITIVE cristisim/help etc about additional "must knows"for hearies etc....

any way just my 2 cents :)

Anij, I love your hoh/deaf page it is really good! It reminded me to ask the audiologist or whoever it is at my appointment about sounds seeming really loud (now I cant remember the word ~ recruitment, maybe? LOL) because I never told the last audiologist I saw! That might be important when I get my new hearing aids!

I was wondering who was considered HOH cuz I didn't know if I would be considered HOH or not. I have mild hearing loss from birth and now progressive/fluctuating hearing loss. I didn't know what exactly HOH meant. I think I'd be considered HOH but I didn't know.

Thanks everyone for helping!

Well anyone with a loss of less then 70 dcB is hoh, and anyone with a loss greater then that is deaf.

I am hard of hearing. I have mild-moderate hearing loss. I am learning more sign language.
40-50 db loss.

Back