Who has called 911?

AmIAnOprQQ

Reaction score
i was just wondering how many people out there waste the time of so many people to call 9-1-1 to contact the police regarding them locking their keys in their car? or to report a flat tire? or something absurd like that! why the hell would u call 911 to get a cop to come unlock ur car for free?! if a speaking person called 911 to do something like that they would get arrested for misuse of 911. i am so tired of people using relay to call the police for stupid shit. think about how much man power is being wasted. there is the 1. the opr, 2. the supervisor that has to watch the opr, 3. the 911 opr, 4. their supervisor, 5. the cop that has to go out to assist the caller (whereas they cld have called AAA or a lock smith), and then 6. the rapist that just violated a poor innocent girl because the cop that should have been stopping him was unlocking ur fucking car!!!! i am so frustrating from this because this is a serious problem and everytime i see something on the news about how the person was put on hold by a 911 operator and therefore something horrible happened to them i think of this and it annoys the everlasting shit out of me. if u are not being robbed or shot at or someone isnt kicking ur door in, DONT CALL 911!!!

oh yea, and also, dont call 911 to report that a strange looking man just walked past ur apt courtyard and left an empty bottle somewhere. so yea, this is my rant and im pissed from a 3 day 30 hour work weekend of dealing with nigerians and prank calls and everything else that was in no way shape or form a contribution to society. i hate my job and as soon as i find anything else that pays close to what relay does i am never dealing with relay again. THE END :rl:

I can understand your anger, but really, don't take things out on others- I have friends who honestly panic at minor things. Do they have less a right to "hassle" you with that 911 call than a hearing person?

Try that funny thing called thinking prior to speaking.

try thinking before speaking?!?!?! i had all day to think about this. i've had alot of time to think about it actually. no... a deaf person has no more or less of a right ot call 911 in a "minor" emergency situation. the difference is, if a hearing person calls 911 they run the risk of being arrested for "abusing 911 emergency services." but when a deaf person uses relay to call to report a strange man walking down the street across the road from their apt building or that they have locked their keys in their car they 911 opr will actually stay on the phone with them for an extended period of time going out of their way to attempt to help them. the usual result is that they send a cop out with a slim jim to get into the car. now i understand that the opr didnt have to do this, however once the deaf person is informed that this isnt the job of 911 and that is not what it is intended to be used for... they press it and press it and press it until they get the resolution they are seeking. i think that anyone who is calling 911 had better have someone kicking in their door, a knife sticking out of their body, or some kind of serious LIFE THREATENING situation. that is what it is intended to be used for. so yea,... lemme just think before i type out a huge long vomitting of words into a thread i started. so obviously i had time to think about it while clicking to add a thread, then to type it all out, then to click submit. so hows about u think before u speak.. er.. type. :fu2:

I know what you mean. I've never called 911 except to inform the police department that my house alarm went off by accident.

Some cities have a 3-1-1 non-emergency for police, pot holes, street light-out, spray defaced on walls and etc, you can use TTY to dail 311 during business only. Some 311 service might help to send the highway helper truck out to lock-out cars for free.
The 511 road service don't have a TTY, it's not good for a tty users, because the relay service can't dail the 511.

Some cities have a 3-1-1 non-emergency for police, pot holes, street light-out, spray defaced on walls and etc, you can use TTY to dail 311 during business only. Some 311 service might help to send the highway helper truck out to lock-out cars for free.
The 511 road service don't have a TTY, it's not good for a tty users, because the relay service can't dail the 511.
With relay, you need the 10-digit local number... not 911 or any other immediate 3-number local number.

Most relay services don't dial 911 unless it's VRS...because the dispatch is sent to the center and not the deaf person's residence...which in turn can be a very bad thing.

Most relay services don't dial 911 unless it's VRS...because the dispatch is sent to the center and not the deaf person's residence...which in turn can be a very bad thing.

Traditional relay (for TTY users dialing 711) does relay emergency calls. The phone system automatically takes care of passing on the caller's information to the emergency operator.

IP relay will not relay emergency calls.

Traditional relay (for TTY users dialing 711) does relay emergency calls. The phone system automatically takes care of passing on the caller's information to the emergency operator.

IP relay will not relay emergency calls.

very very very untrue. ip relay will relay a 911 call. you must provide a city and state and dept u are attempting to reach. hence in the original post that the opr has to call for a supervisor and the sup must sit with the opr until the call is completed. we have to do all kinds of "emergency" calls. we have had to call in fake bomb threats plenty of times because stupid assholes think its a big joke to use the service to make a prank phone call since its completely anonymous.

so yea, ip relay and tty users can dial emergency service.

so yea, ip relay and tty users can dial emergency service.

Thanks for correcting that, my post was unclear. It's not a 911 emergency call in the sense that your location is not automatically detected and your call relegated to the nearest police/ambulance/fire. The relay center will have to do a lookup to find the correct center by address and some by phone number, if you have a land line but are using IP relay anyway.

UGh... no joke. So tired of none emergency 911 calls. It's depressing to the point of wanting to strangle yourself. Although I have to say... my favorite had to be when some idiot let someone they didn't know borrow there 'rental' car and they never came back with it.

Definately my favorite... especially when the 911 operator told then that it's not concidered stolen if they handed the person their keys...

:roll: ....simple put, if you don't like your job then quit, second, I don't make 911 calls from the relay, if I need to make a 911 call then I will use the phone ( tty ) for that....Beside what makes you think hearing people don't call 911 over something like this?....And btw never tell a deaf person how to think, unless you take long look at yourself first because you're no better than rest of us here....

btw, it's okay to vent out, but don't take it out on us ...

Fines and Jail time

Because hearing people if determined to be placing a frivolous 911 call can expect a fine and even a possible jail sentence. That's why .

I did once call 911 thru relay and it went thru with no problem. It was an emergency.

:roll: ....simple put, if you don't like your job then quit, second, I don't make 911 calls from the relay, if I need to make a 911 call then I will use the phone ( tty ) for that....Beside what makes you think hearing people don't call 911 over something like this?....And btw never tell a deaf person how to think, unless you take long look at yourself first because you're no better than rest of us here....

btw, it's okay to vent out, but don't take it out on us ...

If every relay operator who hated their job quit tommorrow, there would not be any one left on the phones. There were 30 people in my class, a year ago, 23 of them quit the first month. On average, they bring in a new training class every other week. Most of them do not last two weeks. Trust me, there are only two types of relay operators, those new on the job and those looking for other jobs. I send out about five applications a week. In between listening to kids playing on the phone because that they think it is amusing to hear us voice things that they are too chicken shit to say out loud, nigerian scammers and a host of other problems, being a relay opr is probably one of the worst jobs that I have ever had. You want to know the bad part? Most of us take the job because we feel like that we want to do a good service to the deaf community. Well, the phone companies think otherwise, cause 90 percent of what I get are kids playing, Nigerian fraud calls, and then once and a great while I get to do the job that I was actually hired to do. So trust me, ALL relay operators HATE their jobs. We hate our jobs because we so very rarely get the job that we are hired to do.

..So trust me, ALL relay operators HATE their jobs. We hate our jobs because we so very rarely get the job that we are hired to do.

I can perhaps sympthize for how it can be like, certain issues, etc...that can make the position somewhat hateful or terrible....but, when you're able to bring in here the 'other' 99% (the rest of the r-os), then maybe I'll believe 'ya. ;)

~RR

Believe Me ?

I don't care whether you believe me or not. Sympathy? Don't need any, just come to work in one of our centers and see what it is like. Believe it or not, most of the ro's that I tell about this site, throw their hands up in the air and say "It's not even worth it trying to explain", .

What it can be like ?

If you are not there, day in and day out, going through what we all go through then you can't sympathize what it can be like because you have absolutely no idea what it is like. I noticed that you put the word CAN be like, in some sort of italics, as though you feel I am stretching the truth. Ask yourself this question, I took my job to be of service, why would I make up a lie as to what it is like?

I'm total surprised after read those thread here. :eek3: I wasn't realized that you complaint about this.

I remember the police at Parental evening, they make leiscure about safety etc. We can call them no matter what... Its about safety.

I never forget and thank my neighbor to save my life. A guy asked my neighbor what's our name. My neighbor told him to go our house to ask us himself. He said that we are not in home. My neighbor knew we are in home and suggest him to try one more. As he gone, my neighbor dailed 110. I saw a guy from kitchen window and won't press the automaic gate to let him in my property but I walked to gate to him... Suddenly police car here... Police ran and questioned a guy and ask him for his ID but he don't have it with him so they took him to police station... Police asked me either I'm okay? I was like :confused: and oohhh .... and make lesicure to me about safety. I thanked them and went to my neighbor and :hug: her... No matter what but it's really nice of her thought about my safety.

I do not see anyone who complaint about dial 911 but concern their safety.

Yes I can undersand some people could be paraniod sometimes which is not right. It will be okay when they know their limit how to dial 911 for emergency.

Your thread here sound that you don't like to make movement if anyone dial 911 on you... Right?

Get fit and execrise, no matter what... than sit on the chair and waiting for emergencies... For me is tooooo boring... I rather to make movement as I got an emegerncies call...

Back