Who fixes their own cars?

prostock19

Reaction score
I do minor work. When I can, I do oil changes. I hate doing them though because of the mess. If I am lazy, I go to a place and have it done. I did my brakes the other day. I also do change my spark plugs, air filters, and belts.

My husband does it all except changing all four tires at same time. He used to be an engine assembler. :shock: He's good at it! Saves us a lot of money. :thumb:

That is why I try and do what I can. I ain't rich. LOL. I like to travel, so I try and save as much money as I can.

Originally posted by prostock19
That is why I try and do what I can. I ain't rich. LOL. I like to travel, so I try and save as much money as I can.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Before marriage, I had to learn how to change oil and stuff like that... it was kinda hard for me since I didn't have much time to do them myself. Luckily I have so many friends who's an expert on cars and stuff, that's why I don't take my vehicles to shop and pay them. :ugh: I don't really know how much it cost, but I've heard from friends and family about these and I was like :shock: WHAT?! Haha, I guess I'm lucky now, since my husband's an expert on auto and engines. :thumb:

Originally posted by Pure Ion
Even repairing transmissions?

yep, but I dont like working on fwd transmission. I would rather to work on rwd or 4x4 ones.

I can generally do anything that I have the tools for. I've never needed help repairing something on my car, except for the timing belt. I kept getting it one tooth off :( Besides, I was using makeshift tools, so that might explain something.

Even have a car lift in the garage :D

yeah, I don't trust those shops because they can rip you off especially if you are woman. They'd think just because Im woman might be dumb about those stuff but I'm not dumb, my father taught me to watch them what they are doing on my car, etc. I checked my air filter, it looks fine and doesn't need to be replaced. Guy at shop told me that my air filter needed to be replaced and I said no it doesn't need new filter. NICE TRY, guy! Just because Im woman but that doesn't mean Im dumb enough to cough up my money to spend on unneccessary parts or whatever that don't really need to have. My boyfriend does the car work or someone else will do the work like friends or family. I haven't took my car to shop for LONG time now! ;)

I usually fix my own cars too. There are a couple of times when I have to send them to the shop.

Ah, u guys lucky to same money I would but I an't good with it so Altons or somewhere else they do my car, some of u said dont trust shop, why?

I just have my car to be fixing. The pads to wear through the rotors. The job without the calibers as end up doing them eventually. They tend to go my rear brakes. If I dont address them. I will be addressing them probably in about 6 to 9 months. Everything and save me hassle at $810.00. The problem front is 488 dollars. Rear front brakes can be done later date. *sigh* Unbelievable, the cost me fucking expensive to repair those brakes.

Originally posted by Justin Sane
Yesterday, I had to fix transmission cooling system by cold welding it.

You got a full garage of tools?

Sounds like you do.

Originally posted by SilenceGold
You got a full garage of tools?

Sounds like you do.

Yep, but its impossible to have every tools you need. :(

every christmas and birthday since I was 13 I have been asking for tools. I have this obession with hand works, I must use my hands as long as I am awake.

My goal is to own a design business, for designing a-z along with extra space for hobby mechanics which I can make profit from since I really enjoy working on cars.

Originally posted by DirtyOldMan
Impossible, I know! :lol:

Craftsman, snap-ons, and some others...

Yep, life warranty is a must!

except for few heritage tools has been passed to me since my great grandfather.

Back