Who else is HoH? I want to talk to you

Yeahh,, ANARCHYY!!! Wait.. what's AG Bell? *scratches head*

A horrible organization that is completely fixtated on speech and making dhh kids function As Normally As Possible. ( ie YES! ALL YOU NEED IS THE MAINSTREAM and to be HEALTHY AND NORMAL!)

Is it ok for me to join the club? :P

I dislike Alexander Graham Bell. I didn't know about his views on deafness till pretty recently. I am shocked and disappointed on how he sees deaf and HOH people. I'm not against DHH learning how to speak verbally but banning sign language is just wrong! And I read that AGB thought deafness was a curse and that the deaf community was a defective species of the human race or something similar to that. :( yes, it is great that he invented the telephone and the metal detector and all that, and he changed our lives, but his DHH thing? Unacceptable. :O

When I explain about my hearing loss to hearing people, they don't get it because in their mind HOH equals hearing normally, so I used deaf. That turned off others as they thought I couldn't hear ANYTHING and they couldn't speak to me. So I just say that I am fully deaf in one ear and half deaf in the other ear with my hearing aid. Some are still weirded out, but they understand better now.

Is it ok for me to join the club? :P

I dislike Alexander Graham Bell. I didn't know about his views on deafness till pretty recently. I am shocked and disappointed on how he sees deaf and HOH people. I'm not against DHH learning how to speak verbally but banning sign language is just wrong! And I read that AGB thought deafness was a curse and that the deaf community was a defective species of the human race or something similar to that. :( yes, it is great that he invented the telephone and the metal detector and all that, and he changed our lives, but his DHH thing? Unacceptable. :O

When I explain about my hearing loss to hearing people, they don't get it because in their mind HOH equals hearing normally, so I used deaf. That turned off others as they thought I couldn't hear ANYTHING and they couldn't speak to me. So I just say that I am fully deaf in one ear and half deaf in the other ear with my hearing aid. Some are still weirded out, but they understand better now.
Did you know Bell's wife and mother were both deaf?

His last words were in sign language to his deaf wife.

Interesting Bott - didn't know that-

also love your "witchcraft starter kit" pic! :D

<tried to start new thread so as not to hijack, but couldn't seem to get it to work>

Interesting Bott - didn't know that-

also love your "witchcraft starter kit" pic! :D

<tried to start new thread so as not to hijack, but couldn't seem to get it to work>

Thanks.

Did you know Bell's wife and mother were both deaf?

His last words were in sign language to his deaf wife.

Yes. I knew. Which baffles me even more. I wonder what his wife and mother thought. :shock: though, it is sweet that his last words were in sign language to his deaf wife, I didn't know that part.

Yes. I knew. Which baffles me even more. I wonder what his wife and mother thought. :shock: though, it is sweet that his last words were in sign language to his deaf wife, I didn't know that part.

His mother thought he was wonderful. He was her interpreter from early childhood and made sure she was not left out.

His wife was very deeply in love with him , and on the same page as he was all the way.

It was a different time. It's not really relevant to the world today.

There's probably quite a bit you don't know. You might want to be outraged about Mrs Bells father as he founded Clarke the first oral school for the deaf in the US.

And you should read up on Mrs. Bell. She did a lot of interesting things and was highly intelligent.

There's probably quite a bit you don't know. You might want to be outraged about Mrs Bells father as he founded Clarke the first oral school for the deaf in the US.

And you should read up on Mrs. Bell. She did a lot of interesting things and was highly intelligent.

Wow! That's a lot of unexpected info. Thank you. I'll definitely read up on her. :D

Back