Whirlpool/Jacuzzi Advice needed!

AlleyCat

Reaction score
Okay, here's the dealie:

I have a 3-person Jacuzzi tub in my master bath. For reasons I won't bother right now with, it went unused for about 3 years. I'm now back to using it again, and ... it's gross! The tub itself is as sparkly clean as can be, yet the motorized jets are not (they are clean on the outside, but apparently not inside!) If I run a bath without using the jets, no problemo. If I run the jets, YUCK. All these brown flakes of mold come shooting out. And big ones at that. I have used whirlpool cleaner after cleaner after cleaner, and STILL these brown flakes come out. How do I fix this problem? I took the cover of the filter off (it's screwed in) and it's as clean as can be. So the problem is in the individual jets themselves, it seems. And there's no way to reach anything inside. Is there such a thing as a "Whirlpool Cleaner" person that I could hire? If so, what would he/she do that I haven't already done? Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

What you can do is to try fill up water with clorox (fill it to the point where jets come out) and let it run for bit. This should clean it out. I use about half a gallon for that size tub.

If you are not planning to use it for long time, need to use the clorox to clean it out before "packing it up" for long time.

I agree with SneakerNet. That is how I used to clean ours. It worked great. It was GROSS when we first moved in. I used hot water with lots of bleach. I hope this does it for you :) )

What you can do is to try fill up water with clorox (fill it to the point where jets come out) and let it run for bit. This should clean it out. I use about half a gallon for that size tub.

If you are not planning to use it for long time, need to use the clorox to clean it out before "packing it up" for long time.
I was about to suggest the same thing.

I'm sure you can find a whirlpool cleaner at your local hardware store (or a pool supply store)?

There are many different kinds of cleaners. I've seen dishwasher cleaner. Garbage disposal cleaner. Washer (laundry machine) cleaner. Etc. Etc.

Thanks for the suggestions!

The owner's manual, however, tells me to NEVER use bleach because I risk damaging the pipes. So I've been using "whirlpool cleaners" that I've found at the stores. They might not be good enough. I let the jets run for a long time with those, and it's still gross.

Thanks for the suggestions!

The owner's manual, however, tells me to NEVER use bleach because I risk damaging the pipes. So I've been using "whirlpool cleaners" that I've found at the stores. They might not be good enough. I let the jets run for a long time with those, and it's still gross.

fill it with hot water just enough to cover the jet. throw in a cup of cleaning solution. let it circulate for like 10-15 minutes. drain it. repeat cycle until you feel good. then fill it with cold water, circulate it, then drain it.

lastly... let me know once it's nice and clean :naughty:

suggestion - it's best to go to jacuzzi store and buy cleaning solution there. and also to ask for advice.

fill it with hot water just enough to cover the jet. throw in a cup of cleaning solution. let it circulate for like 10-15 minutes. drain it. repeat cycle until you feel good. then fill it with cold water, circulate it, then drain it.

lastly... let me know once it's nice and clean :naughty:

suggestion - it's best to go to jacuzzi store and buy cleaning solution there. and also to ask for advice.

That's what we've been doing, OVER AND OVER. It still won't come clean !! :(

That's what we've been doing, OVER AND OVER. It still won't come clean !! :(

you were supposed to clean it at least once a week or once a month but you didn't for 3 years so.... perhaps now's a time to call a plumber and cough up $$$?

you were supposed to clean it at least once a week or once a month but you didn't for 3 years so.... perhaps now's a time to call a plumber and cough up $$$?

But it didn't get used at all (I was not living there. No one was.) So it wasn't feasible to clean it. Still think I need a plumber?

what about vineager? let it run over and over like 20 minutes and test it to see if its all clear up or not.

Wirelessly posted

I had the exact same thing happen with our whirlpool... ugh! Those brown flakes are gross! I believe its just old soap and dirt that made a home in the pipes. I filled the tub with cold water and ran a couple times a day. Not fun when you're ready to jump in! Eventually, it will work its way out. Now, I just use the whirlpool often and it stays nice. :)

But it didn't get used at all (I was not living there. No one was.) So it wasn't feasible to clean it. Still think I need a plumber?

still gotta clean it because it has been used at least once. once it runs first time, you gotta maintain it from there.

since it hasn't been maintained for more than 3 years... I think you should call a plumber unless your SO can figure out how to open it and take jet out to clean it.

I don't really wanna see what's inside :lol:

I'm tempted to post a video of "gunk" and I'm sure I will get banned for life :lol:

it's that disgusting.

Yeh, NO, don't want to see any videos or pictures !!! :lol:

So, the first year I had the tub, I cleaned it regularly and it was great to use. No brown flakes. Then it went 3 years without being used at all by anyone, and now that I'm back to trying to use it again, it's just gross. I have the owner's manual and it specifically mentions a product to use for cleaning it, so we're going to try that next.

Back