[yt]cLhyNY4VWAg[/yt]

Linux Ubuntu w/ Beryl 1.5 (Part 1)
[yt]-FcxPKaiT18[/yt]

Linux Ubuntu w/ Beryl 1.5 (Part 2)
[yt]RDBqL1OStB0[/yt]

Here's last one.. Really awesome!
[yt]E3EBeaCrhn8[/yt]

Atheros

What distro do you use? I have an Atheros too and know how to get it to work.

Go to Atheros Wireless LAN, 2.4-GHz, 5-GHz, 2.4/5-GHz, 802.11a/b/g, 802.11b/g, 802.11, Radio-on-a-Chip, WLAN, Networking, Home Network. OR google search atheros Linux driver. The guy who helped build programs (drivers) for new Atheros network card. He's a Linux guy himself and he did created Linux driver for it too. You go and check this out

Atheros Wireless LAN, 2.4/5-GHz, 802.11a/b/g, 802.11b/g, Radio-on-a-Chip, WLAN, Networking <<---Atheros WiFi manufacturer

SourceForge.net: MADWIFI <<---Linux driver download

I came across those last October when I first got brand new Acer Aspire laptop. I did investigated and found driver. I didn't install it. I'm a Linux newbie tho. Wish you luck!!

here's sweet stuff..
[yt]RwZVWMaiBmQ[/yt]

Linux Ubuntu w/ Beryl
[yt]cLhyNY4VWAg[/yt]

[yt]-FcxPKaiT18[/yt]

[yt]RDBqL1OStB0[/yt]

[yt]E3EBeaCrhn8[/yt]

I've seen one 3 months ago and I tried to download and install it. I couldn't get it installed. I'm Linux newbie and had hard placing files after gzip or Targz. Sorry, I'm plain stupid on this. Other Linux like Damn Small Linux and Puppy Linux. I was able to unzip and run the installation program. Seem different flavor of linuxes have unique way of installing programs. I'm still learning. I love Linux and hope it dominate Windows!! LOL

I tried to install Gentoo Linux. It took forever to install. I guess it culd be bad MD5. My system was powerful enuf to run Linux. I have two systems, One is AMD 64 3500 (Venice core) w/ Abit AV8 motherboard. Other is Gigabyte GA7VAX w/ AMD Athlon 1900 (1.6 ghz). Both systems have 512mb memory and strong graphic card. Both hard drive are 7200 RPM.

I have about 10 different flavor Linux I downloaded and burnt in CDrs.

Thanks
Catty

I've seen one 3 months ago and I tried to download and install it. I couldn't get it installed. I'm Linux newbie and had hard placing files after gzip or Targz. Sorry, I'm plain stupid on this. Other Linux like Damn Small Linux and Puppy Linux. I was able to unzip and run the installation program. Seem different flavor of linuxes have unique way of installing programs. I'm still learning. I love Linux and hope it dominate Windows!! LOL

I tried to install Gentoo Linux. It took forever to install. I guess it culd be bad MD5. My system was powerful enuf to run Linux. I have two systems, One is AMD 64 3500 (Venice core) w/ Abit AV8 motherboard. Other is Gigabyte GA7VAX w/ AMD Athlon 1900 (1.6 ghz). Both systems have 512mb memory and strong graphic card. Both hard drive are 7200 RPM.

I have about 10 different flavor Linux I downloaded and burnt in CDrs.

Thanks
Catty

Hi Catty,

I recommended ya to give it try PCLinuxOS PCLinuxOS: News cuz it does have Beryl built-in without need instructions such as untar, ungzip, compile, whatever etc..

Here's screenshots:
Tuxmachines' Gallery :: PCLOS2007b2

Good luck!
Kurt..

Oh one more thing, Nvidia graphics card is recommended. :)

Hi Catty,

I recommended ya to give it try PCLinuxOS PCLinuxOS: News cuz it does have Beryl built-in without need instructions such as untar, ungzip, compile, whatever etc..

Here's screenshots:
Tuxmachines' Gallery :: PCLOS2007b2

Good luck!
Kurt..

Oh one more thing, Nvidia graphics card is recommended. :)

Ummh I will download that for fun of it. Also I just downloaded Fedora Core 6 recently because it have Beryl desktop as an extra download through RPM. I'm pretty familiar with it. (been messing with Redhat and Mandrake in the past) I have ATI Radeon 9000Pro w/128mb AGP card in AMD 64 system.. ATI been compatible with every Linuxes. I never encountered any problem with ATI. I DO have Nvidia GEForce3 Ti 200 64mb AGP card too. I just found Nvidia card from someone's cpu on street corner (was trashed) LOL. It works! It's in my kid's system now. I will give it a try tho. I prefer ATI over Nvidia because of compatibity issue.:rifle:

Beside that, I just simply go ahead and install FC6 anyway to get this over with. If I get the Beryl desktop up and running. I would happily video it on my webcam and post it on Youtube LOL.:fingersx:

OOps! I just found SabayonLinux that have built in Beryl desktop, It's 3.5 gB file download. I will download it too. It's Gentoo base OS. Worth a try. Will have to get DVDr disk to burn big file LOL
CAtty

OOps! I just found SabayonLinux that have built in Beryl desktop, It's 3.5 gB file download. I will download it too. It's Gentoo base OS. Worth a try. Will have to get DVDr disk to burn big file LOL
CAtty

Hey There's SabayonLinux Mini installation. It's 689mb file. It's stripped out version (no server and duplicates). I downloaded it and burn to cd. Installled on my AMD 64 (I use SabayonLinux 64bit version). It works nicely. I finally got Beryl desktop working by using XDF ?? for ATI graphic card. They said it may be slow. After all installation. It ran Beryl desktop. It was slick!! Yeeooww.

I had hard time installing PCLinuxOS on my 64 bit system. So If one can't install PCLinuxOS, Try SabayonLinux.
Good Luck!!
CAtty

I have question, I was playing around with new 64 bit SabayonLinux w/ cool built-in Beryl KDE desktop. It become slower and slower every time I use application and closed it. I did not use more than 3 application on desktop and messing around the Beryl settings, KConsole, Kbrowser ect. On the latter, it almost won't respond even just one apps on desktop. Are there a "cache" behind it that lags the response? I did not have many running apps, most were closed on upper right taskbar except volume, Ethernet connection status, Reminder ect. The cube desktop still spins smooth and faast so what is the problem?? I have 512mb memory installed, AMD 64 1.8Ghz processor, ATI Radeon 9000 pro w/ 128mb memory which are plenty of power!?. And the hard drive is 8gb 3500 rpm (I use it for just experiment). So what's your suggeston to keep desktop apps at steady speed?

The PCLinuxOS that I downloaded and tried to run it or install it didnt work well with both of my desktop systems. It took forever to get it running. I got one finally got into blank desktop but CDrom drive light was flickering forever. I did MD5 on downloaded ISO file before burn it into CDrom. . Seem like SabayonLinux works wonder.
Thanks
Catty

Last edited:
I have question, I was playing around with new 64 bit SabayonLinux w/ cool built-in Beryl KDE desktop. It become slower and slower every time I use application and closed it. I did not use more than 3 application on desktop and messing around the Beryl settings, KConsole, Kbrowser ect. On the latter, it almost won't respond even just one apps on desktop. Are there a "cache" behind it that lags the response? I did not have many running apps, most were closed on upper right taskbar except volume, Ethernet connection status, Reminder ect. The cube desktop still spins smooth and faast so what is the problem?? I have 512mb memory installed, AMD 64 1.8Ghz processor, ATI Radeon 9000 pro w/ 128mb memory which are plenty of power!?. And the hard drive is 8gb 3500 rpm (I use it for just experiment). So what's your suggeston to keep desktop apps at steady speed?

The PCLinuxOS that I downloaded and tried to run it or install it didnt work well with both of my desktop systems. It took forever to get it running. I got one finally got into blank desktop but CDrom drive light was flickering forever. I did MD5 on downloaded ISO file before burn it into CDrom. . Seem like SabayonLinux works wonder.
Thanks
Catty

Never mind this, Just found out my AMD64 processor somehow stuck on the loop (Processor was at 100% rate for no reason. Hardware issue, causing OS to lags and slow). I decided to reset the BIOS to Optimal setting and now it finally went back to normal. Windows XP responded exactly the same like Like above. After I fixed the BIOS, Windows finally ran smoothly and quickly.

So Disregard my previous posting.:cool:

here's sweet stuff..
[yt]RwZVWMaiBmQ[/yt]

Linux Ubuntu w/ Beryl
[yt]cLhyNY4VWAg[/yt]

[yt]-FcxPKaiT18[/yt]

[yt]RDBqL1OStB0[/yt]

[yt]E3EBeaCrhn8[/yt]

:jaw: I just wondered if can download my new laptop? LOL!

I just found out it's the ATI Radeon 9000pro 128mb agp card that bogs down performance. It only require few script to fix the problem. Mentioned in ATI.com website. I decide to swap Nvidia Ti200 64mb agp card. It ran much better now. I had plenty of fun with Beryl's rubber window. I set the flame randomly w/ smokes and plenty of animation!!. I love it. Now that I wanted transparent cube! I will have to look for blogs elsewhere. It's really nice Eyecandy!!

Those who have Ubuntu with ATI graphic card, there is Beryl installation instruction. Just google search and follow the instruction.

3D Desktop (Beryl and Xgl) on Ubuntu Edgy Eft with ATI card ~ Where I write my things and thoughts

There are some issue with Ati xpress 200 onboard (onboard motherboard chipset/graphic card commonly on some laptops). I am unable to get Beryl running on my laptop but some bloggers got it running. I am not xactly sure if it's memory share issue (I have 64mb shared w/ 512mb (it's 448mb left)). ATI have posted on fix too. Any other ATI card better than x200 runs great. I didn't have problem with my desktop's ATI card tho.

Good Luck!!
Catty

I am using Ubuntu Edgy 6.10 on Acer Aspire 5040wlmi. I did installed Fglrx driver for my ATI xpress 200 (integrated chipset) for upgrade from Advanced Micro Devices - Smarter Choice - Graphics and Media Processors. It boot normally but when I run browser or any programs, it show some strange glitch. For example. I ran terminal, it show window but inside of terminal window. It show my root name on white strip and the rest of the screen seem transparent (you can see desktop wallpaper). Whenever you type. White strip follows what you type. Firefox Browser and many application with scrollbar did some strange thing. It look normal until you scroll it. the bottom part will scrolls but the rest above it seem "frozen". Buttons are blank until you hoover the mouse and it'll appears and stay there. I think it might have been a refresh issue or something else.

My laptop is a widescreen and it use 1280x800 setting w/ 60hz under ATI's fglrx driver (most recent one). Even I switched to 1024x768 w/60hz, it still resulted exactly same as before. I even turned off animation. I am not sure what I am missing.

I reverted back to Xorg-X11 and it work fine. Browser, terminal and all program runs and function normally the way it suppose to. I downloaded Beryl manager and all of it's subfolders. Installed it and got beryl manager on top of bar. But unable to get beryl running. I am planning on re-install fglrx driver in different way what Ubuntu suggested.
Ubuntu Edgy How to Install XGL/BERYL for ATI Xpress 200 - Ubuntu Forums

I will let you know if I got it working.
Thanks
Catty

When I use linux, I use and strongly suggest gentoo- it has alot of learning involved, and certainly can frustrate you at times, which makes it a terrific learning tool if you're willing to deal with things not going your way several
times in the name of "learning".

That said, for casual "browse the web" users without that kind of patience, I would agree that ubuntu can be a very good choice. It's very simple to install and use.

Personally, I don't use X, but if that's your choice, I'd suggest gnome over KDE. Goes farther in the way of accessibility, but if you don't really require such accomidations and would prefer your system to look as much like "windows" as possible, KDE is the way to go.

As far as learning the "how to" of linux, spend your time reading whatever distro you chooses forums, documentation, ect. Hang around an IRC channel if they have one and see what kinds of questions people frequently ask. Most importantly, learn simply by doing. Trial and failure is the best way to get it right.

Ubuntu 6.10 is better one. I love it and nothing to wrong with that. It's run work great for Pc,Mac, Xbox,and maybe xbox360.

Xbox -> mini computer for $150
Replace Hard drive 80GB IDE for $48
O/S Free

Total ~$200 run smooth for internet, messenger, and loading dvd movie from hard drive or network for livingroom. :)

Ubuntu 6.10 is better one. I love it and nothing to wrong with that. It's run work great for Pc,Mac, Xbox,and PS3.

Xbox -> mini computer for $150
Replace Hard drive 80GB IDE for $48
O/S Free

Total ~$200 run smooth for internet, messenger, and loading dvd movie from hard drive or network for livingroom. :)

There's no computer info on Xbox 360.

Also, already fixed it.

here's sweet stuff..
[yt]RwZVWMaiBmQ[yt]

Linux Ubuntu w/ Beryl
[yt]cLhyNY4VWAg[yt]

[yt]-FcxPKaiT18[yt]

[yt]RDBqL1OStB0[yt]

[yt]E3EBeaCrhn8[yt]

it being copy from Mac OS X ideal :) yes?

Back