Which is far the most important and least the important to you?

Cheri

Prayers for my dad.
Premium Member
Reaction score
Instead of naming the candidates running for the President, I want you to tell me what's the most important and the least important to you.

I want you to select the percentage between 0% to 100% (0% means the least important) (100% means the most important)

Education (new teachers, new schools, new text books and paths of promise for all children)

Environment (clean up nation's oceans, rivers, lakes so that all Americans feel safe to swim)

Military

Health Care (provides health care for all Americans)

Crime Prevention (free of crime by keeping guns and gangs off street)

Illegal Immigrations (enforced laws to keep illegal aliens out of the United States)

Anything else you may want to add, feel free ;)

Education and health care are both the most important topics to me. Both are basic human rights that should be available to all without consideration of financial status, age, or disability.

All of the topics you mentioned are important, and the candidate's stance should be listened to on all the points. But I feel that the stance on education and health care speaks volumes about the candidates attitude toward the people they represent.

Hard to pick things to put on the most important list. I believe this country is so far off the mark on so many issues that, in my opinion, we need to re-structure so many of our systems to suit the ever-changing shift in our society. There are so many ways our country has changed over the last 40 years yet our systems are so outdated. The education system alone is a nightmare. We are ranked so much lower than most people think if you compare other countries to us as far as our education system goes. Too many people get caught up in the mindset that we are the world superpower but how do you explain the fact that we are ranked lower than 17 other countries in academics? Look at these numbers:

COUNTRY RANKINGS
Percent of 15-year-olds falling below international benchmarks:

1. South Korea 1.4
2. Japan 2.2
3. Finland 4.4
4. Canada 5.0
5. Australia 6.2
6. Austria 8.2
7. Britain 9.4
8. Ireland 10.2
9. Sweden 10.8
10. Czech Republic 12.2
11. New Zealand 12.2
12. France 12.6
13. Switzerland 13.0
14. Belgium 14.0
15. Iceland 14.0
16. Hungary 14.2
17. Norway 14.2
18. United States 16.2
19. Germany 17.0
20. Denmark 17.0
21. Spain 18.6
22. Italy 20.2
23. Greece 23.2
24. Portugal 23.6
Source: UNICEF

Pretty surprising huh?

I put national security and border enforcement as top priorities. If we don't keep our country secure, none of those other things can be taken care of. We need to keep the military supported, well-trained, and well-equipped.

Also, some of those things on the list aren't mutually exclusive. Just because border security is most important, it doesn't mean we have to ignore schools, health care and the environment.

Presidents don't really have control of local schools and local law enforcement. Those have to be addressed at the town and state level. Parents need to get informed and active on their local and state school boards. How would a President know which kind of law enforcement is best for each community? One size doesn't fit all.

What about taxes and Social Security? I would like to see a President promote the Fair Tax system and get rid of the IRS. The SS system needs reform.

The President needs to push for more fuel independence in the US by allowing more oil exploration and digging, and encouraging nuclear energy.

I won't vote for someone who is weak on national security.

Military is most important to me. without them we have no one to save us in bad times. also, I was USMC and did time in IRAQ, served one combat action tour for 1 year.

second, I would say healthcare and immigration. healthcare is important so much but with so much immigration, it's effecting the economy in ways that make us all have to pay more for things.

The two most important things to me are healthcare and education - and in that order as well. A sick child who misses school can't learn much, and as traciedowell pointed out - our educational system in the US is seriously lacking when compared to other countries.

My other two concerns are the military - this is a nightmare in itself -we dont have enough troops to adequately defend our country from a terrorist attack - they are all sent overseas fighting a war we shouldnt have been in to begin with.

And I agree with Reba, our tax and SS System need a serious reform - our lawmakers are ridiculously overpaid and can vote themselves a raise any time they want - they didnt vote for a cost of living raise for over 10 years for the rest of the country - my ass is chapped from that one.

I think for our country - we should consider aopting a European style system given our overall population and diversity within that population.

Education, military, and health care are the most important to me 100%.

Environment and Crime Prevention about 80%

Illegal Immigrants about 70%.

Really, I kinda think all of these issues need to be addressed with action taken not just all talk.

Education - 100%

Environment - 100%

Military - I would say 100% for defend against anyone for attack our country and 0% for attack other countries to make a war.

Health Care - 100%

Crime Prevention - 100%

Illegal Immigrations - 80%

Education - 100%

Environment - 100%

Military - I would say 100% for defend against anyone for attack our country and 0% for attack other countries to make a war.

Health Care - 100%

Crime Prevention - 100%

Illegal Immigrations - 80%

I like your select of percents, and this is what I agree with mostly. ;)

What about jobs? aren't they important too?

Education - leave that alone. 0%

Environment - 100% clean up everything.

Military - 0% leave that alone

Health Care (provides health care for all Americans) 0% leave that alone.

Crime Prevention - hire more police 100%

Illegal Immigrations - 0% the more people here, the more jobs be available

Anything else you may want to add, feel free

Employment/Job - create more jobs. clean up street and environment and everything. 100%

What about jobs? aren't they important too?

Of course if you feel that jobs are important to you, then add that to your list.

I said at the bottom of my first post "Anything else you may want to add, feel free". ;)

Education - leave that alone. 0%

Environment - 100% clean up everything.

Military - 0% leave that alone

Health Care (provides health care for all Americans) 0% leave that alone.

Crime Prevention - hire more police 100%

Illegal Immigrations - 0% the more people here, the more jobs be available

Anything else you may want to add, feel free

Employment/Job - create more jobs. clean up street and environment and everything. 100%

Actually Patrice, the more people that we have in this country - the fewer jobs there are to go around. You can't just "create" a job out of the air. But also at the same time most of the illegal immigrants are coming for the jobs that most Americans refuse (and yet these same Americans complain about not having this or that..... :roll: )

The only way to fix our employment problem is to ban the outsourcing of American jobs for cheaper labor overseas or across the border. But thats not likely to ever happen.

Hiring more police wont prevent crime - whats the point of having a million man police force if none of them are actually going to enforce the laws? This is mostly true especially for smaller rural areas.

Health Care here in the States is a NIGHTMARE! I have experienced the insured and uninsured side of it. Without insurance even whilst working a full time job, you are often not offered the same level of care and services as someone with insurance. And even at that some insurance companies can be quite stingy over what they decide to cover and what not.

At present the SCHIP Act is due up for reauthorization. Without SCHIP - millions of children across America will no longer have access to insurance. When parents can't afford medical bills, some are reluctant to take their child to the doctor even for routine checkups. There have been times they had to send a feverish child to school throwing up because they can't afford the doctor bills and the parent cannot afford to miss work. This is especially true for single parent homes where the single parent is working multiple jobs just to cover the basics and neither of her employers offer medical insurance and a private policy would be so expensive that it would be out of the question.

And also lets not forget the 'gappers' the young adults ages 18-34 who may not have company health insurance available to them but when health problems creep up they are forced to seek out whatever help they can get from free health clinics as the regular clinics would refuse to run tests on them for a complete diagnosis due to *gasp* no insurance. Ive felt the sting of this before and it was quite a slap in the face when I was told I was not offered the same quality care as my peers due to no health insurance. But these free clinics are usually far and few between and 90% of them are income based. What about the single male aged 24 no children and working at the chicken plant but has not yet qualified for company insurance. He has been feeling strangely exhausted, losing weight rapidly despite a regular appetite, and has had two fainting spells. Because he makes $9/hr, he makes too much to qualify for help at the clinic and yet the regular clinic refuses to run thorough tests on him.

The solution to this is this : The gov't should offer a temporary 90-day insurance plan for those who have just started a new job and have yet to qualify for a company insurance plan. The person would have the insurance taken directly from their check beginning from day 1 until the 90th day and on the 91st day the company health insurance plan covers them. But in order to qualify you have to show absolute proof you are in fact working a min. of 40 hours, and you must show proof with a paycheck stub. If you have beeen fired or quit your job before 90 days, coverage is stopped on your last day of work.

For those without work at all why not have a temporary 60-day health ins plan, but you only are allowed to obtain it if you have been laid off or fired. If you quit your previous job - you just dont have anything until you start working again. The reason for a short 60 day limit is to encourage those using this insurance to find jobs and you can only renew this coverage once every 6 months. Which means if you piddle and dilly dally and just dont plain look for work any job, and let this 60 plan run out, you are just out of insurance until you obtain work or until 6 months have passed from the last day of coverage.

ALL employers should be required to offer company insurance plans. There are plans out there for small and large companies so there's no exscuse why it shouldnt be used other than just plain ol' greediness. There are even health plans for the self-employed.

This way the only ones with out insurance are those who are just too plain lazy to find work. When your down and out you have to be willing to take ANYTHING to get back on your feet, even if its McBurger or a pig farm.

Illegal immigration is a touchy issue for me. In my town, we're just a stepping stone for bigger things for the immigrants, once they move here, get a job at one of the poultry processors, they learn English, then they move on and they tell the rest of their family that this is the first stop they need to make in America. Many of them are using false identities, even buying identies of American citizens who are just children or even dead, just to get a job and to get govt' services such as food stamps, WIC, and whatnot, with many of them in the same house hold with all the adults using a different mailing address and claiming head of household on their taxes to rake in more cash. They are taking away from those who really do need the help. It chaps me when a American co-worker of mine is working two jobs to provide for her family and is given only $12 monthly in food stamps, and then another person who just flat out refuses to work is given $300-400 monthly in food stamps. Seems to me that if Im working all I can, the $12 is a slap in the face.

60% of the local school are non-English speaking Hispanic children, these children are NOT ready to be taking OUR standardized tests in English. (I dont ever want to see these tests given in Spanish - if you want an American HS Diploma, you better speak, read, and learn in American) When they dont understand the language they certaintly cannot understand the material taught. They bring down the overall test scores putting the teachers and district under close watch of the State Dept. of Education. Some schools have even been placed on probation because of this. These same students who cannot master English let alone Standardized Tests, are allowed to move up a grade level with their American peers who have passed all qualifications to move up. Don't teach these classes in Spanish - please dont - teach these classes in ENGLISH as this will be the primary language they will be using here in America. They need to first master the English language before attempting to master classes such as AP Social Studies, AP Literature, and other 'higher ed' courses often pushed onto high school students.

The first year a non-English speaking Hispanic student is here should be a full immersion class in English as a Second Language for 8 hours a day. At the end of the year the student is given an exam to see how well they have learned. If they are on par with their American peers then they will be allowed to integrate into regular courses with them. Now that they understand the language- they can now better grasp the material and learn it more efficiently.

The current system of 'teaching' ESL is RIDICULOUS - they practically take the tests for the students. They must write the correct answer near the question. This isnt helping them - this is setting them up for failure in the long run with inflated grades and when they take the college entrance exams it will be a huge let down when they find out they might have done well in HS Algebra but are now reduced to taking remedial elementary algebra.

This is not with racial intent - I just desire a better system that gives everyone a REAL opportunity to succeed. No false pretenses, no inflated egos and hopes of success.

Sorry to be so long winded but once I get started its hard for me to shut up. I would have deleted half of this but I decided I worked too hard to type all of it out. LOL

Education - 80%

Environment - 90%

Military - 100%

Health Care - 100%

Crime Prevention - 100%

Illegal Immigrations 30%

Dixie, I find interesting to learn more about your post. I will remember your post. Yes I know about US healthcare issues and also insurance plan but some of my posts at other thread was being denied. I am glad to know that I am correct about this since I read your post. It's good to know that you are trying to positive/improve your country. :ty: for open-mind posts. Yes, I enjoy myself to read your posts, Dixie.

:TY: Liebling, its just that Ive had too much 'experience' with things in my short life span.

Today at work they announced changes in our healthcare plans so yes - while I now have insurance - its changing as of Jan 1 2008. As well as my vision and dental. While they discussed these changes this morning with us workers, I still feel like that they are not telling us the whole story and Im afraid that we are going to have even more hassles making sure our claims are covered and filed correctly. Not only that - I really need to get tested for Ushers Syndrome as I seem to have the textbook symptoms of it. So next week or the week after when its not so hectic I may go in and say OK what do I need to do to make sure there will be no hassles when I go to the eye doctor to get tested for US? Not only that Im boderline diabetic so I may need diabetic maintenance medications later on depending on how well my body continues to regulate its sugar levels.

So right now Im feeling a little :hyper: at the moment making sure all is well come Jan 1st.

Back