Which is better?

With what been said since he say there is no way to connect unless he reset the router which is its weakest link which is refer to Jiro's post. It's stupid to reset the router every time the router had be hijacked with a Key Time out. The router is locked out with no way in or connect. The only way is to reset the router. So there was a contradict in his statement, right Jiro?

I know it is old thread, Highlander I know what you mean about time out, it is still BS as long as when programmer set up to listen the signals the information is actually in the air where anyone within radius can pick up. Once hacker capture that information, the timeout is moot point because that person already have the information.

Now, here is why there is no such thing as 100% fool proof security

Shodan finds the Internet's most dangerous spots - Traffic light controls (1) - CNNMoney

There are few Nuclear power plants that is connected to Internet, BAD BAD, very BAD idea!

Like what TechBill said, as you all know that many home Wifi devices doesn't have high end security...it's more of basic security where people can afford to purchase or ISP company can provide for them. There are few things that can make it more secure but not 100% protected. As I was reading through all of your responses, there is one thing that I disagree about disable SSID. Do not disable the 'SSID Broadcast' feature of your AP or router. This seems counter-intuitive, but it is actually a bad idea. Although this would make your network invisible to your neighbors, any determined hacker can still sniff out your SSID; and you are implicitly forcing your computer to shout out your SSID anywhere you are, while it is trying to connect to it. Anyone could then impersonate your router with that SSID, and get your credentials that way.

So, the best practice to make wifi secure for your home:
One, Set security to auto WPA/WPA2 (since some older model wifi do not support WPA2) And secondly, Set MAC address filtering. Those are the best setting you can get to make it secure.

In our company, unlike the government where they don't provide Wifi, we use VPN through out the Wifi connections and along with VLAN setting. We have 3 different VLAN settings (with 3 SSID), one for guest, one for contractors and one for employees. So, for guest, there's only one subnet that go through to WAN whereas other VLAN go through various switches. This is pretty sophisticated devices that can cost thousands of dollars, too expensive for home use you know?

Back