Which do you prefer=timing chain or timing belt?

There are 1/2, 3/8th, and 1/4th inch socket adapter for reverseable power drill in hardware store. They're ususually around $3 to $4 a pieces. You can find one in any hardware store or auto parts. It's located where drills, phillips and slotted screwdriver for power drill. You can spot it quickly since it's square end with hex on other end. It was use for screwing in or unscrewing nuts and bolts for home, playground equipments, and many more.

I use it alot when unscrewing or screwing in the nuts or bolts quickly. But I tightened it by hand after screwing in. Not all nuts or bolts can be unscrewed by drill so I have to unscrew it by hand first then use drill. This help get my job done real quickly.

My advice is to give yourself time walk around hardware and auto part store and look for tools that can do some tricks. You'll be surprised that they have lot of cool tools that you overlooked. Several of my friend drooled over my weird or "special" tools that they never seen before. :roll:

How did I change the timing belt in 30 min. 89' Mazda 323 have small timing belt, about 34" diameter. I can easily access timing belt through wheelwell (removing wheel off the car). It was well designed for repair or maintenance. I can easily swap out Alternator less than 5 min top. Mazda 323 have roomy engine compartment except for front of engine on the side of body that have 1" space in between.

catty

Ohhh, Mazda sure had a nice design to have easy access for those repairs, I wish they do that for sure. I guess it's different body design and all that so it's hard to match the Mazda 323's design.

lol, timing chain uses 27 parts while timing belt uses 17 parts, but the timing chain uses dohc and that one was a base sohc with timing belt...I'm sure it has more parts on the dohc like the WRX.

91 geo storm have 1.8L DOHC so 2 camshaft with sprocket.

They use timing belt.

Worst thing they put engine mount front of tension bolt so that biggest job to remove engine mount then replace tension.

Subaru 2.5L H4 use t-belt and Subaru 3.0L H6 use t-chain.

Here a first picture of 2001 Subaru Legacy Outback LL Bean Ed. AWD H6-3.0L
vawjd.gif

Here a second picture of 2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS Sedan AWD H4-2.5L SOHC
2hdcmzq.gif

Just made clear up for you.

Oh my god, I cant believe it. I actual saw a DOHC Subaru engine under the car as my tech changed oil/ filter as I looked around the car. I thought it have t-belt(s), Im wrong. What a shock. I must be overlook the t-chain driven engine. Wow. I' ll look up Alldata later. Thk for tell me. I see some Subaru cars come in for services. I havent diagnose on these Subaru's driveability problems, obviously good awd cars. I had been seen coolant leaking from head gaskets cuz my lube tech asked me to take a look at the area of fluid leaks as I write recommand on the RO papers. I did t-belt/ head gasket jobs on Subaru cars before. T-chains in Sub motor is unbelieve.

Oh my god, I cant believe it. I actual saw a DOHC Subaru engine under the car as my tech changed oil/ filter as I looked around the car. I thought it have t-belt(s), Im wrong. What a shock. I must be overlook the t-chain driven engine. Wow. I' ll look up Alldata later. Thk for tell me. I see some Subaru cars come in for services. I havent diagnose on these Subaru's driveability problems, obviously good awd cars. I had been seen coolant leaking from head gaskets cuz my lube tech asked me to take a look at the area of fluid leaks as I write recommand on the RO papers. I did t-belt/ head gasket jobs on Subaru cars before. T-chains in Sub motor is unbelieve.

Now you learned. I got the pictures from alldata.com What kind of car that head gaskets leak? I own Impreza RS 2001 and over 130,000 milesage. No problem so far but just bearing wheel and coil pack for waste spark. That's it.

Now you learned. I got the pictures from alldata.com What kind of car that head gaskets leak? I own Impreza RS 2001 and over 130,000 milesage. No problem so far but just bearing wheel and coil pack for waste spark. That's it.
yeah, 99 Forester AWD w/2.5L, the coolant leaked from corroded head gaskets. H6 engine looks like Porsche.

91 geo storm have 1.8L DOHC so 2 camshaft with sprocket.

They use timing belt.

Worst thing they put engine mount front of tension bolt so that biggest job to remove engine mount then replace tension.
yeah, similar to Toyota Corolla w/1.8L. Is the valve cover sitting over the upper timing cover? I replaced t-belt and tensioner in 45 minutes with A/C and P/S belts. Labor time rate was approx 3 hours.
The toughest T-belt job is Chrysler PT cruiser. Real pain in ass. Fk PT cruiser.

yeah, 99 Forester AWD w/2.5L, the coolant leaked from corroded head gaskets. H6 engine looks like Porsche.

yeah, similar to Toyota Corolla w/1.8L. Is the valve cover sitting over the upper timing cover? I replaced t-belt and tensioner in 45 minutes with A/C and P/S belts. Labor time rate was approx 3 hours.
The toughest T-belt job is Chrysler PT cruiser. Real pain in ass. Fk PT cruiser.

I think Subaru used issue with engine before 1998 but no problem after 2000. Yes, Only Subaru and Porsche use boxer engine that I know so far.

I heard from my friend told me the story about auto tech really STRESSED over Chrysler PT cruiser for replaced the alternator. That's happen in 2002.

No wonder Chrysler was bankruptcy. :laugh2:

I think Subaru used issue with engine before 1998 but no problem after 2000. Yes, Only Subaru and Porsche use boxer engine that I know so far.

Also, Volkswagen in the early years and Ferrari in the 80's Testarossa had a boxer 12 cylinder (flat 12)

Also, Volkswagen in the early years and Ferrari in the 80's Testarossa had a boxer 12 cylinder (flat 12)

I think the first flat VW engine in early 1930's,was designed by Ferdinand
Porsche for Hilter ( I didnt know that Hilter who drawed a body of VW bug).Then he builted sport cars after WWII. I remmby I modeled a Grand Prix Ferrari 312 (not exact model I cant remmby) when I got it from my uncle for my bday, I stared at the thiny flat 12 engine. Funny. I believe the Ferrari flat 12 engine was fitted on a grand prix car in late 67 or 68. I guess the automobile manufacturers copy Porsche idea? Hey, The Highlander, you mentioned about the flat engines are good gravity weight. Its true.
Sequoia, I have one question, How did the Porsche sport cars became so popular in US in early 1960's? Hey i go back to my garage to toy my nova project. see u in post later

Sequoia, I have one question, How did the Porsche sport cars became so popular in US in early 1960's? Hey i go back to my garage to toy my nova project. see u in post later

I think Porsche became popular due to good handling, speed, rear mounted engine, cool factor and possibility a girl magnet. There's a old porsche next to my work with t-top, it's a grey one. It looks like around 1970's.

I forget about that. Old beetle!! Yeah, I heard about Ferrari used boxer H12 before but I never see it before. Someone made H16 before. That's crazy!

I think the first flat VW engine in early 1930's,was designed by Ferdinand
Porsche for Hilter ( I didnt know that Hilter who drawed a body of VW bug).Then he builted sport cars after WWII. I remmby I modeled a Grand Prix Ferrari 312 (not exact model I cant remmby) when I got it from my uncle for my bday, I stared at the thiny flat 12 engine. Funny. I believe the Ferrari flat 12 engine was fitted on a grand prix car in late 67 or 68. I guess the automobile manufacturers copy Porsche idea? Hey, The Highlander, you mentioned about the flat engines are good gravity weight. Its true.

yeah German always better for engine.

Remember, I drive boxer engine for 9 years and I tried drive many different of vehicle (rent, drive test, friend, family, coworker, company, etc.) and I noticed my Subaru still best then them for gravity but chevy corvette 2007 manual feel almost same as my car.

I forget about that. Old beetle!! Yeah, I heard about Ferrari used boxer H12 before but I never see it before. Someone made H16 before. That's crazy!

Yep!

Here's pic of the Ferrari's flat 12, but there are some other pics used in racing and in other Ferrari models, too. Interesting, I have never heard of H16 before, hmm. I wonder if it uses timing chain or belt in that engine. :hmm:

Resize_of_DSC00791.JPG

yeah German always better for engine.

Remember, I drive boxer engine for 9 years and I tried drive many different of vehicle (rent, drive test, friend, family, coworker, company, etc.) and I noticed my Subaru still best then them for gravity but chevy corvette 2007 manual feel almost same as my car.

Yep, that's why Subaru has good balance compared to other awd layouts. It looks simpler.
pix01_DriveTrainLayouts.jpg

Yep!

Here's pic of the Ferrari's flat 12, but there are some other pics used in racing and in other Ferrari models, too. Interesting, I have never heard of H16 before, hmm. I wonder if it uses timing chain or belt in that engine. :hmm:

Resize_of_DSC00791.JPG

Very interesting. I can check alldata for type of timing this Monday about Ferrari. What model and year?

Yep, that's why Subaru has good balance compared to other awd layouts. It looks simpler.
pix01_DriveTrainLayouts.jpg

Yeah. Did you know Skyline GT-R 2009's transmission is at rear of body? It better for balance.

I saw at Top gears and said Skyline is V6 twin turbos and AWD so it can go 0-60mph in 3.5 seconds. Skyline's weight 3,836 pounds. It's heavy than Corvette and Corvette can't make under 4.0 seconds!!

Turbocharger rocks!

Very interesting. I can check alldata for type of timing this Monday about Ferrari. What model and year?

I think it's in mid to late 1980's

Yeah. Did you know Skyline GT-R 2009's transmission is at rear of body? It better for balance.

I saw at Top gears and said Skyline is V6 twin turbos and AWD so it can go 0-60mph in 3.5 seconds. Skyline's weight 3,836 pounds. It's heavy than Corvette and Corvette can't make under 4.0 seconds!!

Turbocharger rocks!

Yeah, I already know that Skyline can go to 60 in 3.5 secs. I think older Corvettes had transmission in the rear axle, too. A few other cars had that set up. I heard some woes from the owners with the skyline had blown transmission from using the sport mode to get to 60 in 3.5 sec and Nissan refused to pay for the repairs. Why did they design it with no warning about that. It costs $20,000 for new transmission, not joking!

Here's an article about it:
http://www.blog.automotiveaddicts.com/epic-fail-nissan-gt-r-transmission-failure

Yeah, I already know that Skyline can go to 60 in 3.5 secs. I think older Corvettes had transmission in the rear axle, too. A few other cars had that set up. I heard some woes from the owners with the skyline had blown transmission from using the sport mode to get to 60 in 3.5 sec and Nissan refused to pay for the repairs. Why did they design it with no warning about that. It costs $20,000 for new transmission, not joking!

Here's an article about it:
Epic Fail: Nissan GT-R Transmission Failure : The Automotive Addicts Blog

Shit! That's crazy! I wish GT-R use Manual transmission due lighter and easy repair than auto.

Back