Which do you prefer? Microsoft Word or Google Drive?

ChicagoBlue2

Veteran Traveler
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am curious as to which one you would prefer, and why? I personally prefer Google Drive; way more options, and free to use.

Microsoft Words costs money and time; Drive is already part of Google, so there's no need to install it.

You can also include SkyDrive if you wish; all comments welcome.

Last edited:
I am curious as to which one you would prefer, and why? I personally prefer Google Drive; way more options, and free to use.

Microsoft Words costs money and time; Drive is already part of Google, so there's no need to install it.

You can also include SkyDrive if you wish; all comments welcome.

Neither Microsoft Word or Google Drive even if most computers come with Mico$oft Word pre-installed. It just never felt natural to me. Of course, I started with Wordstar before there was a Micro$oft Word. I use WordPerfect Office X4 and keep my files on a local hard drive.

Neither Microsoft Word or Google Drive even if most computers come with Mico$oft Word pre-installed. It just never felt natural to me. Of course, I started with Wordstar before there was a Micro$oft Word. I use WordPerfect Office X4 and keep my files on a local hard drive.

Wordstar.... isn't that the precursor of Microsoft Word? I'd heard about it, but never seen it. It must've been late 1980's or early 1990's, well before I was introduced to it in 1995.

late 1980s i used it in 1988, along using a minicomputer (smaller version of a muitl user mainframe)

its so ancient! lol, but actually was quite an amazing thing at the time!

oh Ive Never heard of Google Drive will read up about it later - must go to work (roof job)

I use MS Office products to be compatible with my school work.

I use MS Office products to be compatible with my school work.

As I said earlier I NEVER liked Micro$oft Word. I do our church newsletter and most of the people that turn in articles use Word but this recent version of WordPerfect has NO problem reading those files.

One gals formatting does get me though. When putting things in columns she uses the space bar rather than tab stops! Then when I open it in the other program and want to use a different font in the newsletter it is time consuming to change to tab stops. But, with the font change that would occur regardless in the program I was opening it in.

As I said earlier I NEVER liked Micro$oft Word. I do our church newsletter and most of the people that turn in articles use Word but this recent version of WordPerfect has NO problem reading those files.

One gals formatting does get me though. When putting things in columns she uses the space bar rather than tab stops! Then when I open it in the other program and want to use a different font in the newsletter it is time consuming to change to tab stops. But, with the font change that would occur regardless in the program I was opening it in.
I've never had any problems with Word. I've used all kinds of word-processing software, going back decades, with no problem adapting to newer versions, or going back and forth between platforms. For the first ten years I used mostly Apple products for desk top publishing while everything else was DOS. Time marches on.

I think I am older than most of you at 71. But . . . the first computer I used was the Radio Shack Model III. We also went through their Model IV (with also one Model III converted to a Model IV) both as a desktop with two 5 1/4" floppy drives and a portable version that was about the size of a portable sewing machine. When going "PC Compatible" they also came from Radio Shack. I don't remember the processor though.

My first computer of my own had a 8088, a floppy drive and small hard drive.

I've never had any problems with Word. I've used all kinds of word-processing software, going back decades, with no problem adapting to newer versions, or going back and forth between platforms. For the first ten years I used mostly Apple products for desk top publishing while everything else was DOS. Time marches on.

Problems adapting and liking are two very different things.

I think I am older than most of you at 71. But . . . the first computer I used was the Radio Shack Model III. We also went through their Model IV (with also one Model III converted to a Model IV) both as a desktop with two 5 1/4" floppy drives and a portable version that was about the size of a portable sewing machine. When going "PC Compatible" they also came from Radio Shack. I don't remember the processor though.

My first computer of my own had a 8088, a floppy drive and small hard drive.
I can't remember the year I first started working with computers. I know I was taking programing classes at college in 1982, so sometime before that.

I remember when memory was measured in kilobytes, woo hoo! :lol:

I prefer Google Drive over MS Word - mainly because of portability. I found it rather useful when I was at uni, especially doing assessments while on the move.

I have MS office 2007- been using it since on home pc. However with the tablets with Bluetooth keyboards , I am finding that using google drive apps is so much easier to use since its free and easier to share.

MY feeling is that if you know how to use either then you are set up for success in life. They are really very similar to each other. If you know the basics of office programs you can do anything esp. to add your own touch to templates. You are going to run into a situation or work/school where you will have to step out of your comfort box and use a different way. Like I said- knowing the basics of office apps/programs, you are set for success it doesnt matter if it for personal use or business/work.

It is valuable. How can anyone in todays world with any desire at all for upward mobility be able to do so with being knowledgeable with this stuff?

In my case... she will be upwardly mobile. I will be running a chainsaw as support staff.

i still prefer word for writing, mostly as I've always used it and find some of its features handy such as the templates, the pre-made headers and footers, word art, etc.

I use google docs / drive for viewing ms office files mostly (documents/spreadsheets) and occasionally save files on the drive but actually I prefer dropbox for that.

Back