which college has deaf people?!

I don't know how to suggest, but I'll just kick it up a notch. Don't EVER go to Gallaudet. A lot of bad things happened in Gally lately.

EDIT: https://twitter.com/DMVFollowers/status/483644950920171521

First, have you went to Gallaudet in PERSON?

I enrolled Gallaudet during Fall 2011 but left in January 2012 because of medical reason, so I'm returning to Gallaudet this fall. I didn't have any problem with Gallaudet, except for deal with some crazy students, even you will deal with a lot of crazy students in any universities.

In sexual assault/rape case, it is mostly occurred when women were drunk and had no control so men took advantage of women. Having non-consent sex with drunk women that have no full control is classified as rape/sexual assault, that why got counted on statistic.

There is common sense for you - DO NOT GO TO PARTY and SAY NO TO DRINKING, so you will extremely unlikely to be victim of sexual assault. If you are over 21 and want go to party, you need to limit the drinking or don't drinking at all, nothing liquid in your body.

Sometime, especially in major universities, sexual assault could went unreported and some universities falsified on statistic to make rate looks not bad or lower.

Now, Gallaudet is getting more strict with alcoholic beverage for underage students.

campus-1.jpg

North Carolina eh? Hmm..

As already mentioned there's the deaf school in Morgantown- the other one is up in Wilson but I don't know what colleges might be there.

I would think most major universities will have programs that will allow for assistance with deaf students. (from reading her posts- she is deaf with a CI, mainstreamed but apparently does attend a deaf church so reasonably she already knows ASL...??)

As for Gallaudet-- it's not for everyone that's true. Your brother may not have liked it etc but doesn't mean you won't. Just go with what you think is the best way to go for yourself. It's not too hard to transfer out of any school if you find you don't like it or it's not meeting your needs either.

"Don't EVER go to [insert name of school here]. A lot of bad things happened in [insert name of school here] lately." Doesn't matter what school a student picks nowadays- there's ALWAYS going to be some negative or bad things about it no bones about it. The trick is to know how to deal with it and if the college/university is facing up to the stuff that does need fixing.

Even when I went there, I am sure people were probably saying there were bad things going on at Gallaudet academically, socially you name it... on top of that- mention "Washington DC" to some people they immediately envision bad neighborhoods etc (my mother did.. she was only 'relieved'/comforted when her twin ended up moving right near Gallaudet the year before I went- practically on their doorstep.

Appalachian State University in Boone is a major college and is probably a little over an hour from NCSD. And they have an extension facility at Caldwell Community College and Technical Institute in Lenoir too. As big as ASU is I'm sure they'd have some type of programs for deaf or HoH.
Appalachian State University / Boone, North Carolina

I'm going to NC next month - August 22...

NC is my birthplace state, also going passing Charlotte, Triad and Triangle. :D

You did not mention if you are deaf, hard of hearing or full hearing. I need to know if you are d/Deaf. Also you did not mention what kind of courses or field you are interest in majoring in your field.

That way I can suggest that you can go to the Vocational Rehabilitation Service that will help you get some funds and tuition, trip for you go to college where they have Deaf program (depending what kind of major and/or minor education field you are interest in). The counselor will help you find what kind of field you want to go into in college.

As for me, I went to Seattle Central Community College in Seattle, Washington where the college had Deaf program. I don't know if the community college is still there for that. Just have to ask the counselor about that.

If you are living in North Carolina, then there might be some colleges for the d/Deaf and Hard Of Hearing (HOH) near you. Good luck on finding the right college for you. Gallaudet University should not be that bad. :dunno:

Update: I just learn that she has CI which mean she is deaf. Still don't know if she can sign ASL to be comfortable being with d/Deaf people. Just wondering. :)

sorry! i'm actually deaf but have an implant like you said lol. but i use both ASL and verbal communications. although i prefer to be around deaf and use ASL, that's where i'm most comfortable at. i'm thinking about a career having to do with deaf kids but i'm not positive yet. i'd love to study aboard for a semester while i'm in college too!

First, have you went to Gallaudet in PERSON?
In person, yes.

I enrolled Gallaudet during Fall 2011 but left in January 2012 because of medical reason, so I'm returning to Gallaudet this fall. I didn't have any problem with Gallaudet, except for deal with some crazy students, even you will deal with a lot of crazy students in any universities.
Not all universities have crazy students. Several friends transferred to NTID from Gally and they told me bad things about it. You could say they can't deal with 'em in Gally.

In sexual assault/rape case, it is mostly occurred when women were drunk and had no control so men took advantage of women. Having non-consent sex with drunk women that have no full control is classified as rape/sexual assault, that why got counted on statistic.
Exactly... That's why since the OP is female and she might be "next." :(

There is common sense for you - DO NOT GO TO PARTY and SAY NO TO DRINKING, so you will extremely unlikely to be victim of sexual assault. If you are over 21 and want go to party, you need to limit the drinking or don't drinking at all, nothing liquid in your body.
Thank you for your tip, but did I mention parties..? They have other ways to get more victims beside parties.

Now, Gallaudet is getting more strict with alcoholic beverage for underage students.
Now, I think that I have heard this before. Pretty several times over years.

I'll admit that I do dislike Gally for those things including Gally took our beloved NTID president Alan Hurwitz in 2009 or 2010 to fix their sh*t up. Plus, they brought a big fight on our college during deaf event in 2011 or 2012. There were lots of hearing students watching them fighting and I was too embarrassed to watch it. Another reason to dislike them.

After all, I just wanted to suggest her, because Gally seems to be very dangerous TO me than other few colleges I looked into/heard from.

(K8E_7, I'm sorry about accidentally bringing a flame war on your thread.)

EDIT:

sorry! i'm actually deaf but have an implant

Now you mentioned it, some Gally students aren't too friendly to any deaf people with implants, or using their voice to speak. That's what my friends told me. One deaf student saw two students were speaking without signing, he hurriedly walked to them and signed "DEAF POWER," and then walked away like nothing happened. Not kidding.

In person, yes.

Not all universities have crazy students. Several friends transferred to NTID from Gally and they told me bad things about it. You could say they can't deal with 'em in Gally.

Thank you for your tip, but did I mention parties..? They have other ways to get more victims beside parties.

I'll admit that I do dislike Gally for those things including Gally took our beloved NTID president Alan Hurwitz in 2009 or 2010 to fix their sh*t up. Plus, they brought a big fight on our college during deaf event in 2011 or 2012. There were lots of hearing students watching them fighting and I was too embarrassed to watch it. Another reason to dislike them.

After all, I just wanted to suggest her, because Gally seems to be very dangerous TO me than other few colleges I looked into/heard from.

EDIT:

Now you mentioned it, some Gally students aren't too friendly to any deaf people with implants, or using their voice to speak. That's what my friends told me. One deaf student saw two students were speaking without signing, he hurriedly walked to them and signed "DEAF POWER," and then walked away like nothing happened. Not kidding.

I would have done the same way because we don't want to lose ASL perspective as we need ASL. Most Deaf like me don't want ASL to die. We want to sign "DEAF POWER" meaning we want ASL strong and alive. :(

Whatever you eventually major in the first two years are often general education courses. Some of the wealthiest kids from where I live have gone to a well regarded community college for those first two years because of the generally smaller classes. The choice of starting at a community college is not always financial.

Just another thing to consider.

I'm sure NTID has it's share of deaf students with CIs and deaf students who aren't too friendly to these students either as well as deaf students or other students who don't sign and..well you get the picture.

NTID is not the Ivory Tower. Neither is Gallaudet.

Both have its faults and both have its positive points.

In person, yes.

EDIT:

Not all universities have crazy people? I think you are mistake - I was former student at JSCC and UAB, they have a lot of crazy students, even I visited JSU, Auburn and UA, they have similar problem. The party is norm for universities and most sexual assault went unreported in many universities because some male students threatened you to keep silent or they can beat up or kill to death (powerful tactic). Most sexual assault went reported at most smaller universities, including Gallaudet because it is easier to process the report at school with smaller student population since larger universities have additional bureaucracy.

Some students aren't happy with NTID and they said that NTID has same problems as Gally did. I don't recall any big fight in 2011 but there were crazy kids went wild in subway station - unrelated to Gally situation. There were fight at UAB and JSCC as well - I saw students fought on school grounds but at UAB, they fought in classes, elevator and dorm. I found problems at UAB is worse than Gally, also some students were murdered on campus due to open campus environment at UAB, but Gally is closed campus environment and last homicide was in 2001.

There are fair number of student with CI that increased in 2011 and I don't see any students with CI have bad experience, but there is expectation about anti-CI environment at deaf events over USA. I'm former CI user and nobody bash me for having CI in my head, but some of them are sympathetic to me because my parent forced to implant me against my will. If you have bad experience so obviously, you are in wrong crowded so that's problems in many universities.

Gally has been changing after Robert Davila takeover in 2007 and it was 3 years before Alan Hurwitz came in so they fixed the mess, especially introduction of GSR courses, mandatory internships, point system for drug and alcohol, mandatory ASL training for professors, renovation in some buildings, especially residence halls and new residence hall, computer labs and new SLCC.

At Gallaudet, overwhelmingly of sexual assault cases are related to party when female students were drunk and raped, also statistic ONLY counted that happen on campus, not off campus. Gallaudet is smaller university and it is very easy to spread the word over the campus so that force rapists to suspended, expelled or quit.

You're welcome!

Good for ya.

My apologies.. didn't mean for that to come out as condescending...what I meant is that I used safety measures so I won't find myself in risky situations like not walking around the neighborhoods of DC alone at night or getting drunk at parties where I could be put in a vulnerable situation.

However while at Gallaudet, my experience was 99% positive.

If you plan on going out of state, consider Northern Illinois University. They had deaf people coming from Canada because the school is set up well for the deaf and hoh. They even recently interviewed a deaf candidate for the law school. They have dorms set aside for those with significant hearing loss that are set up for accessibility (and they even have rooms set aside for the people who have service dogs).

i'm not exactly sure what i'll study. probably something involving deaf kids.

it may be gallaudet. It's a art fine, general major, more of social workers, psychology..

I would think you would try gallaudet. It will be challenage for you as long as you are cool with diversity of people.

I don't know how to suggest, but I'll just kick it up a notch. Don't EVER go to Gallaudet. A lot of bad things happened in Gally lately.

EDIT: https://twitter.com/DMVFollowers/status/483644950920171521

FYI I went to gallaudet, and for 7 years. I did not have any bad accidents because i ve been careful and used my common sense. Back in my time, it was worse. I heard about today, that there are much better around outside of gallaudet.

Every college campus do have flaws. Gallaudet is the one that is the best happening in my life.

sorry! i'm actually deaf but have an implant like you said lol. but i use both ASL and verbal communications. although i prefer to be around deaf and use ASL, that's where i'm most comfortable at. i'm thinking about a career having to do with deaf kids but i'm not positive yet. i'd love to study aboard for a semester while i'm in college too!

My hub is an deaf oral and did not know ASL when he arrived gally. He learned ASL from there. He did feel comfortable being around them yet he did have his own flaws with them but everyone do have flaws with people. When I was a student at gally and i hated it there but realize that i made it the way it was and i hated it but i forced to make it in a positive way and i like it there. guess i was young and didnt know anything better.. :dunno2:

I was at Gallaudet. Great school.

K8E_7 go to Gallaudet and major in deaf education for the BA. Then go to McDaniel University (used to be Western MD College) for your MA in deaf education.
Some friends of mine did that while commuting from their Gallaudet jobs.

You got to be able to relocate and uproot to deaf schools/mainstream programs and then move again.

Back