Whether to consider hearing aids/cochlear

Would you prefer that a child have the option to try hearing aids/cochlear implants?

• Yes - hearing aids

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Yes - cochlear implants

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - both

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Thats exactly what Ive said, the best of both worlds.
There are new regulations with insurance companies and medicare.... and this is VERY important NOW.
Since the changes to the medical structure, If youre going to implant your child , DO IT NOW, because children qualify for Bi-lateral implants still where once you are an adult they will only pay/approve for one (1) I was lucky and got mine just as this was all getting approved and both were covered. Now if you follow the CI world, adults are only getting approved for 1 implant and complaining they cant become bi-lateral unless they pay 100% out of their pockest for the second one. Just something to think about if you decide to do so as the benefits are greater now.
Yeah, but on the other hand, she still has a lot of time before she becomes an adult and insurance regulations kick in. Also, there are still kids who can benefit from a bimodal approach. Not against bilateral implants, but just saying that benefit from hearing technology is so varied that it's not an automatic given that bilateral CIs will be the intervention.

This was covered at the Cochlear meeting yesterday.
2 cochlears are better than 1, and there were a few members there, one who just 2 months ago got his first CI and still has a hearing aid on the other.... he said the CI is 1000 times better than the HA side and he is going for Bi-Lateral in just a few more weeks. All the members there who were bi-model said the same, the CI is so much better. Its each individuals experience as Karyn whom I talked with my first time there had her CI shortly before I met her and got my CI, she hore a CI and HA...after I went Bi-Lateral she asked me how it sounded, if I could tell directional sounds...ect...., she is now Bi-Lateral as well and loves it, says it is so much better as well. So its not scientically proven, it is individually proven !!!
My Surgeon was present as well, Finally got to thank him personally and talk a bit as friends instead of Doc/Patient.
IMG_3015.JPG

Not to dismiss the personal experiences, but remember, your hearing had to be pretty dang bad to qualify for the CI, so for the majority of people, it should sound much better than what they were most recently hearing with their HAs. I'm looking forward to when my left side hears so much better than my right side (which will probably qualify for a CI in a year or two). For a change, I'm looking forward to Valentine's Day. ;)

I'm not sure how she's getting to hundreds of deaf people against the CI... at least not in one area like Phoenix. Maybe on the internet but even then I would say that it's a challenge to find HUNDREDS of people. There will always be d/Deaf who do not like technological advances or want to use hearing aids or cochlear implants but seems to me in general there is less and less opposition to it as the years go by as deaf start to realize that no... not even with CI ..the deaf community will not die and go away (as much as the extremists on the other side would like it to).

Not a bad idea to explore but sometimes hearing aids and CIs may not be a benefit either depending on the type of loss/damage or when (more so the kind and how the damage was done than age since your daughter had something before the age of 5 and it sounds like it was good before the age of 2.

Phoenix is a great area- I miss it a lot even though I only lived there 6 months so never had a chance to find a deaf community (had a job there... I'm back to looking for work again...).

Yes I just want her to have all the available options. If hearing aids or Cochlear implants will not work then that is okay too. I have 3 special needs kids comma so with all of them I'm always just wanted to be aware of all the options that they have available to them

My apologies for being rough on you.
I just wonder, though, if your daughter's age qualifies her to make good decisions? I mean, what does she want? (Sorry, I am the first to admit I am no psychologist!)

No apologies necessary, I didn't feel you're being rough on me at all. Not really sure what her wishes would be since she is pretty much nonverbal. I feel that if she is a candidate for hearing aids or Cochlear implants that she can make the choice to not use them in the future, but I want her to have them as soon as possible so she can realize the most benefit from having them at the earliest age possible. Either way we're still embracing the sign language option for communication because we think she'll always need and want to use that

Not to dismiss the personal experiences, but remember, your hearing had to be pretty dang bad to qualify for the CI, so for the majority of people, it should sound much better than what they were most recently hearing with their HAs. I'm looking forward to when my left side hears so much better than my right side (which will probably qualify for a CI in a year or two). For a change, I'm looking forward to Valentine's Day. ;)
Would that be for a CI or the Chocolates? lol

She keeps telling me she has talked with hundreds of deaf people and the vast majority of them tell her that the deaf community Temptation people with Cochlear implants because they want to embrace a lifestyle that doesn't look Stephanie says being a disability. She says that it's a cultural preference that all the deaf people she knows are not in favor of Cochlear implants or hearing aids.
That has not been my experience at all. I know very few Deaf adults who are against hearing aids, and while some don't love childhood implantation, I think they understand it for a child who loses their hearing.

She is going to be going to Sequoia School for the Deaf and hard-of-hearing

Just wondered about your child enrolled at Sequois... do they sign in ASL in the class room to teach your kid included bi language (english and asl)? myself is deaf and went to deaf school. i don't have CI. quit wearing HA. have a professional job for 26 years. been working at 7 different jobs before.

that's why I'll be more curious what my mom's will look like this 2017 ;) if else fails, hybrid time! *thank god we have a nice new blue car too*

Back