Where JennyB has been...(possible trigger)

JennyB

Reaction score
Hi ADers!

I have been absent for a while and I want to explain why, and perhaps seek some support because I desperately in need of it right now!

I have an unspecified anxiety disorder and while attempting to cope with a situation of abuse I asked to be put on anti-anxiety medications, which also happen to be anti-depressants. Not only did the medication treat my anxiety, but it induced a state of depression, to the point where I was feeling suicidal. While I did not take any direct suicidal actions, I did think about it a lot and I expressed these thoughts once which ended up with me being brought to the hospital in the back of a police car. I was released from the hospital the same night.

Only a few days later I once again found myself in the same situation - in the back of a police car on my way to the hospital. The second time was based strongly on my “psychiatric history” - a systemically created demon which will now haunt me for life. During an interaction with the police, when I was discussing the abuse, there was some miscommunication. I was asked “How did he talk to you?”. My response was probably the stupidest it could have been - “With his voice.” and within seconds it was assumed I was hearing voices. It continued to get worse when asked “How with his voice?”, to which I responded “With his words…”

Being Deaf I assumed “How did he talk to you?” meant something more along the lines of “Did he speak? Sign? Write?”. By the time I had made this connection I was on my way to the hospital again. I explained this to the doctor and once again I was let go.

Fast forward a few weeks. I had long since stopped taking the anti-depressants and was more than back to my regular self. After recanting my initial police report of the abuse I decided I needed to re-report since the situation wasn’t improving. I explained what had happened the first time to the officer who took the report and I was assured he wasn’t questioning my sanity.

A few days later I called 911 after an incident. One of the first questions I was asked was about what psychiatric medications I was taking. When I assured them I wasn’t on any medications it was assumed I was in need of them and I must be hallucinating the abuse. Regardless of the fact that my psychiatrist does not feel I need to be on medications and does not feel as though I am experiencing psychosis, the police decided that this must be the case.

I am 20 years old, but despite that my parents were called and given the details of my police report and told I should be in a psychiatric facility. I was shocked. All of the professionals who work with me feel as though I am mentally stable and competent, and it seemed none of this matters because of a “psychiatric history”. Not to mention the fact I am an adult.

Add to this the police questioning my hearing loss because of my great oral skills and response to visual and tactile stimuli. I am very frustrated!

So, that is where I have been...

Jenny

Not for the vast majority of it.

Now I'm not happy.

Without getting into details, I am pretty sure you have taken a seat back and thought about all the things that has happened.

Maybe you have figured a better approach to take the next time something happens?

Now I'm not happy.

Without getting into details, I am pretty sure you have taken a seat back and thought about all the things that has happened.

Maybe you have figured a better approach to take the next time something happens?

I'm unhappy too. It sounds like there wasn't much communication going on between all these people.

JennyB,
I'm aghast to hear what you've underwent. I hope in time, your health and the situation will improve. It's a shame you did not have interpreter for the majority of that time.

The police shouldn't have questioned your deafness just because you could talk :roll:

Did you list your parents as person to contact in case of emergency? If you didn't then that's a violation of your privacy not to mention the confidential aspect of medical care.

Hi Jenny, you have my support as a peer and as a disability rights advocate.

Please check your PM.

We need to get together ASAP to discuss this.

I'm sorry to hear about your problems Jenny. I hope you get everything straightened out. :fingersx:

So sorry to hear about this....it's terrible....some anti-depressants will make you suicidial (or think of it)...I've been there too....I stopped taking them many years ago, and deal with my chronic depression straight up.....Good Luck!

Wow, a police make determination of your mental health without you telling him specifically what mental health you have. But even people with mental disorder should not be brushed off as hallucination if they report to the police about anything.

yeah, I have trouble expressing my thoughts clearly as well. And not only that, I have trouble getting people to understand from a deaf viewpoint. They just can't see it (just like how you mentioned how he view talking as hallucination, and you view talking as spoken English instead of sign language)

I want to clarify - no medical professional violated my privacy. it seems the police officers decided that they had the right to "evaluate" my mental status and comment on it. All of the confidentiality breeches came from within the police department. Some may have come from my school but that is a whole different story...

I'm sorry that you've been having issues. I hope that you feel better soon.

As a practical matter, it doesn't matter what the police record about your mental health because they are not qualified to evaluate it. The problem is that the police may not refer the case to a prosecutor when it should be. I encourage you to contact an advocacy group and pursue whatever legal remedies you have.

Hi ADers!

I have been absent for a while and I want to explain why, and perhaps seek some support because I desperately in need of it right now!

I have an unspecified anxiety disorder and while attempting to cope with a situation of abuse I asked to be put on anti-anxiety medications, which also happen to be anti-depressants. Not only did the medication treat my anxiety, but it induced a state of depression, to the point where I was feeling suicidal. While I did not take any direct suicidal actions, I did think about it a lot and I expressed these thoughts once which ended up with me being brought to the hospital in the back of a police car. I was released from the hospital the same night.

Only a few days later I once again found myself in the same situation - in the back of a police car on my way to the hospital. The second time was based strongly on my “psychiatric history” - a systemically created demon which will now haunt me for life. During an interaction with the police, when I was discussing the abuse, there was some miscommunication. I was asked “How did he talk to you?”. My response was probably the stupidest it could have been - “With his voice.” and within seconds it was assumed I was hearing voices. It continued to get worse when asked “How with his voice?”, to which I responded “With his words…”

Being Deaf I assumed “How did he talk to you?” meant something more along the lines of “Did he speak? Sign? Write?”. By the time I had made this connection I was on my way to the hospital again. I explained this to the doctor and once again I was let go.

Fast forward a few weeks. I had long since stopped taking the anti-depressants and was more than back to my regular self. After recanting my initial police report of the abuse I decided I needed to re-report since the situation wasn’t improving. I explained what had happened the first time to the officer who took the report and I was assured he wasn’t questioning my sanity.

A few days later I called 911 after an incident. One of the first questions I was asked was about what psychiatric medications I was taking. When I assured them I wasn’t on any medications it was assumed I was in need of them and I must be hallucinating the abuse. Regardless of the fact that my psychiatrist does not feel I need to be on medications and does not feel as though I am experiencing psychosis, the police decided that this must be the case.

I am 20 years old, but despite that my parents were called and given the details of my police report and told I should be in a psychiatric facility. I was shocked. All of the professionals who work with me feel as though I am mentally stable and competent, and it seemed none of this matters because of a “psychiatric history”. Not to mention the fact I am an adult.

Add to this the police questioning my hearing loss because of my great oral skills and response to visual and tactile stimuli. I am very frustrated!

So, that is where I have been...

Jenny

Wow, JennyB...I am soooo sorry for your troubles.

Telling your parents anything was a serious breach of confidentiality. It needs to be reported.

There are anti-anxiety medications and there are anti-depressant medications. With a diagnosis of GAD, you should never have been put on an antidepressant. Any depression that comes with GAD is secondary, andis treated as a situational depression. It does not require medication. Medication should be used for a diagnosis of clinical depression.

The police have no business making a diagnosis. Their only action in a case like this is to get the person is suspected to be a danger to themself or others to a facility (usually an ER) where a proper evaluation can be done by a licensed professional.

I agree with Sallylou. Contact an advocacy group and get legal assistance with this. There are so many things that are not right in your situation.

Wow, JennyB...I am soooo sorry for your troubles.

Telling your parents anything was a serious breach of confidentiality. It needs to be reported.

There are anti-anxiety medications and there are anti-depressant medications. With a diagnosis of GAD, you should never have been put on an antidepressant. Any depression that comes with GAD is secondary, andis treated as a situational depression. It does not require medication. Medication should be used for a diagnosis of clinical depression.

The police have no business making a diagnosis. Their only action in a case like this is to get the person is suspected to be a danger to themself or others to a facility (usually an ER) where a proper evaluation can be done by a licensed professional.

I agree with Sallylou. Contact an advocacy group and get legal assistance with this. There are so many things that are not right in your situation.

Agreed. It's unbelievable that Jenny had to go through with this.

I was put on Cipralex for a month and a half and it was bad news. I finally felt normal again after I stopped it! I think I need my anxiety to function to be honest! :giggle: I use ativan to treat acute attacks, but only weekly at the absolute most.

This happened - twice in one week. Both times the hospital released me within a few hours.

Done. Meeting with someone on Tuesday!

:hug: Jenny...I cant believe you had to go through this.

Hey Jenny, sorry to hear this happened! :mad: It was wrong on so many levels. :(:(

I'm glad you're meeting with someone. Let us know how it goes.

I was put on Cipralex for a month and a half and it was bad news. I finally felt normal again after I stopped it! I think I need my anxiety to function to be honest! :giggle: I use ativan to treat acute attacks, but only weekly at the absolute most.

This happened - twice in one week. Both times the hospital released me within a few hours.

Done. Meeting with someone on Tuesday!

I have to agree with you there. If your anxiety is not causing you significant distress, it doesn't need to be treated, either pharmacologically or therapeutically, at all. If only occasional acute attacks are causing you distress, then that is all that needs to be treated.

Yeah, the hospital released you because after a proper evaluation, it was obvious that you did not need to be in a psychiatric unit. Stupid cops.

Ugh...it always seems to be the cops that screw things up.
Hard to believe that the police in a metro area wouldn't understand how to deal with a dhh person......and the abuse! UGH. But at least you got out of the abusive sitution.....maybe you can put him in jail!
I think that people in authority may mistake ALL non nereotypicality" for "mental illness" Which is freaking annoying! But glad you're back, and glad you've got a ton of offers of help!

Back