Where do I start?

jaylizabethh

Reaction score
I'm HOH and was raised in the hearing world. I'm fifteen now and just found out about my hearing loss recently. But I was born with hearing loss. We just never caught it until now, because that was my first EVER hearing test. Luckily, my best friend is a CODA, (child of a deaf adult). Her parents and sister are deaf. So I can sign a little (very little). I'm learning slowly, and would like to be part of the deaf community someday.

So I have no clue where to start. My audiologist said he's surprised that I'm learning anything at school at all with my level of hearing loss. (Moderate, but almost severe.)

My mom and I do not know what to do. Like whether I should just continue living in the hearing world, or if I should learn ASL and get an interpreter in my classes at school. I can't hear my teachers very well, and even with the hearing aids it's difficult.

But I don't know where to start. I thought I'd come to a website where I knew I'd have hope of getting a straight answer.

first things first... get your school to provide you with CART service right now... because from the looks of things, you aren't ready for an interpretor. You, your mom and your school need to sit down and look at doing an IEP (Individualized Education Plan)... and in this, especially because you want to learn ASL, it should say something about ASL instruction. That could be sitting down with a TOD (Teacher of the Deaf) or maybe the school district paying for college level ASL classes (I have seen it happen, it happened to me my senior year of HS). Right now... you would not benefit much from an interpretor. What world you live in, that depends on you, you get to make that decision, you get to feel where you want to be... where you feel the most comfortable.

Have you been to see an ENT? why do they say you have been HoH since birth or is this just something you are assuming because this is your first hearing test?

I have gone to see an ENT. The ENT informed me that it was genetic, and I was born hard of hearing. We also assume that it's getting worse, since it's becoming more noticeable. We'll find out in six months whether or not it's becoming worse.

Using ASL, is something I am ok with. I can have a fairly normal conversation using ASL. And I can understand pretty well when someone is signing to me. But I can't sign that well. I'm still learning. So I feel like having an interpreter could be pointless and beneficial at the same time. My school has ASL classes. But it's only offered as a foreign language, and I won't get to take the class until next year. I need it sooner than that. Right now my friend who is a CODA has been teaching me things, but I feel like I'd benefit more from taking classes or something.

What state are you in? Are you near a Deaf School or a school with a Dhh program? You COULD transfer to something like that so you could become fluent in ASL....there's also summer camps etc......there's one at Gally for dhh kids who want to become fluent in ASL!

welcome.

ash345 has good tips for you. So you are 15 now. I think its great for you to know a little ASL as long as you still hang out with your CODA frend. Do you talk to CODA friend's parents?:) it would be fun. Im sure that your coda friend dont mind if yourfriends deaf parents have some deaf events that you can go with them to deaf events. So you will get use to it and will feel the comfort zone with them.

hope you will stick around here. :)

Oh, just wanted to say that I remember how bad high school was....and it's SO awesome you want to become fluent in ASL and get involved with Deaf culture. That is a fun awesome way to find an amazing identity!!!! Definitly look into Deaf School or Dhh program resources...I think that will tip you over into full fluency!

Thanks, guys. ^.^ I enjoy all of these sweet, inspiring responses and tips. I'm enjoying this community already.

welcome.

ash345 has good tips for you. So you are 15 now. I think its great for you to know a little ASL as long as you still hang out with your CODA frend. Do you talk to CODA friend's parents?:) it would be fun. Im sure that your coda friend dont mind if yourfriends deaf parents have some deaf events that you can go with them to deaf events. So you will get use to it and will feel the comfort zone with them.

hope you will stick around here. :)

I do talk to my CODA friend's parents. Quite often, actually. I like this advice. ^.^

I have gone to see an ENT. The ENT informed me that it was genetic, and I was born hard of hearing. We also assume that it's getting worse, since it's becoming more noticeable. We'll find out in six months whether or not it's becoming worse.

Using ASL, is something I am ok with. I can have a fairly normal conversation using ASL. And I can understand pretty well when someone is signing to me. But I can't sign that well. I'm still learning. So I feel like having an interpreter could be pointless and beneficial at the same time. My school has ASL classes. But it's only offered as a foreign language, and I won't get to take the class until next year. I need it sooner than that. Right now my friend who is a CODA has been teaching me things, but I feel like I'd benefit more from taking classes or something.

How did the ENT know if it was genetic?

I'm HOH and was raised in the hearing world. I'm fifteen now and just found out about my hearing loss recently. But I was born with hearing loss. We just never caught it until now, because that was my first EVER hearing test. Luckily, my best friend is a CODA, (child of a deaf adult). Her parents and sister are deaf. So I can sign a little (very little). I'm learning slowly, and would like to be part of the deaf community someday.

So I have no clue where to start. My audiologist said he's surprised that I'm learning anything at school at all with my level of hearing loss. (Moderate, but almost severe.)

My mom and I do not know what to do. Like whether I should just continue living in the hearing world, or if I should learn ASL and get an interpreter in my classes at school. I can't hear my teachers very well, and even with the hearing aids it's difficult.

But I don't know where to start. I thought I'd come to a website where I knew I'd have hope of getting a straight answer.

I was at that state until I hitted severe April this year but if you're looking for new ones, you're in the right place cause I have a cool looking hearing aid AND it rocks :)

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I do hope you have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

How did the ENT know if it was genetic?

I don't know, honestly. I think because I've never had a hearing test before, and because it was flat tones. We're pretty sure I was born H/H, but I'm getting more deaf (for lack of a better phrase) as I get older.

Guys... I discovered today, the cause of my hearing loss. :D

It actually was not genetic. My mother forgot to mention to my Audiologist and ENT that when I was a baby, my temperature got dangerously high and I had to go to the hospital. We just realised that she never told them. and I never knew.

Mystery, solved.

It actually was not genetic. My mother forgot to mention to my Audiologist and ENT that when I was a baby, my temperature got dangerously high and I had to go to the hospital. We just realised that she never told them. and I never knew.

Mystery, solved.

wow! for me, I may have the same sydrome as deafdyke but I'll find out when I'm older! *mystery music plays*

Mystery, solved.

Well that's good you found out. What about stuff like camps and school and stuff? I think going to a camp would be awesome for you. Did you know Gally offers a camp for dhh kids who want to learn ASL? NTID also offers some cool stuff too!

I'm glad I found out! Also, I am now carrying full conversations with Deaf friends and ASL students, I'm working on getting an interpreter (but it's rather hard, the school system is full of hearing people who probably think I'm lying because my speech is so "normal" or I "sound hearing"). I'm pretty involved in the local Deaf Community as well, and I sent my application to get my videophone today. My mom is also learning ASL, and so is my boyfriend, and these days we pretty much just sign around the house and stuff. my dad gets soo lost. :D

jay, here's links for summer camps for dhh teens. That might be a fun additional resource: Summer Camps for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Children and Teens
Almost as good as going to a Deaf school or program!!!!!! The Gally programs for teens are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NTID might be good for you too...they have science programs for girls...but it's too young for you! But EYF might be good for you instead !!! RIT - NTID - Explore Your Future (EYF)

thanks so much :]

Back