Where did that $$ go?

I think it is a better idea for them to have the Secret Service protection than not because of how much of a target any of them would be if it was generally know they did not have that protection. Even if you are not thinking about them as individual people that do not deserve to be killed think of what the reaction around the world would be if one of them was to die that way.
Why would they be a target after the fact? They no longer have powers... Just a rich piss on like the rest of the world after their term.

They all get it and paid... nothing new. Reagan, Carter, Billy Bob, King George..... Obummer didn't do shit.

Again, you don't understand about what I'm saying.

Under a new law signed today by President Obama, all former U.S. presidents and first ladies will receive lifetime Secret Service protection.

The measure also authorizes protection for the children of former presidents until they are 16 years old.

In 1994, as a cost-saving measure, Congress acted to limit protection for future former presidents and spouses to just ten years after they left office.

The 1994 measure exempted then-President Bill Clinton and first applied to George W. Bush and all his successors.

Eighteen years later, Congress reconsidered.

"The world has changed dramatically since the 9/11 terrorist attacks," said Rep. Lamar Smith, R-Texas, during House debate on the bill in November.

"We must make sure that the safety and security of our former chief executives is not jeopardized," said Smith.

There were some voices of dissent about restoring lifetime protection to former presidents.

"I think we have seen that being a former president can be a pretty lucrative career, and I feel that after 10 years, if these former presidents feel the need for additional security, they should pay for it themselves," said Rep. Howard Coble, R-N.C., in a statement. He led the fight in 1994 to limit protection for former presidents to just 10 years.

Nevertheless, with widespread bipartisan support, the House passed the bill by voice vote last month and by unanimous consent in the Senate a few days before the 112th Congress came to a close.

Former presidents and first ladies remain free to relinquish Secret Service protection as did Richard Nixon in 1985, 11 years after he left office.

The Secret Service does not divulge the costs of its protective details, but it's believed to be in the range of tens of millions of dollars a year for each former president.

In 1994, the Congress REMOVED the secret service protection for newer presidents, starting with GWB, but in 2013, they RESTORED lifetime secret service protection for all former presidents.

It has nothing with Obama, so it was the Congress, so read the article.

Why would they be a target after the fact? They no longer have powers... Just a rich piss on like the rest of the world after their term.

I don't support lifetime secret service to all former presidents and they should pay for their own security.

I don't support lifetime secret service to all former presidents and they should pay for their own security.
exactly... they are a nobody now... they WAS our president. Yeah some still act as a counselor or some crap if they are liked by other leaders... but besides that, they are no longer POTUS.

exactly... they are a nobody now... they WAS our president. Yeah some still act as a counselor or some crap if they are liked by other leaders... but besides that, they are no longer POTUS.

Yeah, our country is already blown up nowadays and our founding father will be disappointed about it if he was alive.

Yeah, our country is already blown up nowadays and our founding father will be disappointed about it if he was alive.
We need some major un-corrupted Ole Tymers to take charge again.

Last edited:
False to a point. That pool is Invested and gains interests over the years, the more in it, the more it earns that's compounded over time. People die so that makes more for others, and the government borrows, invests and returns it as well ( although slowly) but the compounded interests on that pool really inflates the amount yearly ( people don't realize that ) yet they think money is lost from government borrowing... its a drop in the bucket really.

The problem with SS is it isn't invested, it just goes into the general fund, so no interest is really made off of what is put into it. All SS gets from the treasury is basically IOU's.

Your estate gets $255 in death benefits to pay towards your funeral.

When my dad died we got the $255, but when my mom died we were told she wasn't eligible, even though she had paid into SS for her entire working life.

The problem with SS is it isn't invested, it just goes into the general fund, so no interest is really made off of what is put into it. All SS gets from the treasury is basically IOU's.
Believe me, its invested.... one way or the other, money is made off that fund just like your income earning taxes are invested over the year then you get a refund while Uncle Sam gets a free load as well as paying the leaches that monitor it all.

All SS tax goes in trust fund, not general fund.

If you talk about SSI, that's correct, SSI is from general fund.

Again, you don't understand about what I'm saying.

In 1994, the Congress REMOVED the secret service protection for newer presidents, starting with GWB, but in 2013, they RESTORED lifetime secret service protection for all former presidents.

It has nothing with Obama, so it was the Congress, so read the article.
again nothing changed, they just extended it. same thing just longer terms.

when my mom died we were told she wasn't eligible, even though she had paid into SS for her entire working life.
That is horrible. I'm 56 and been working since I was 14_15_16 non_stop. Not getting benefits is like not even getting a pat on the back.

again nothing changed, they just extended it. same thing just longer terms.

The Congress killed the lifetime protection for future presidents in 1994, but in 2013, they restored life lifetime protection for all presidents, so that what article said. I'm following the article, not your word.

That's not worth to discuss about this matter with you so move on.

I'm going leave to someone whoever can explain better.

Last edited:
The Congress killed the lifetime protection for future presidents in 1994, but in 2013, they restored life lifetime protection for all presidents, so that what article said. I'm following the article, not your word.

That's not worth to discuss about this matter with you so move on.

I'm going leave to someone whoever can explain better.
Basically they haven't missed a beat have they.....think about it, think really deep.

Back