Where are my magic gloves?

blank canvas

Reaction score
So I am getting sick of this perceived notion that my hearing loss should have come with magic gloves that would allow me to magically sign like a native. I am constantly asked by ASL students "why are you taking ASL classes" Me: "to learn ASL duh'" "but aren't you deaf"

They just don't get it... I don't understand why I have to keep reminding them that receiving Ha's, a nifty audiogram, and the gift of silence come with hearing loss. ASL is something you have to work for and LEARN it doesn't just happen.

Just ask your hearing friends, "Why do you take English classes; don't you know English?". :giggle:

Just ask your hearing friends, "Why do you take English classes; don't you know English?". :giggle:

:ty: The look of surprise made me anxious for the next person to ask :giggle:
:ty: Advice like this is why I'm hooked on AD :D

I suppose it comes down to understanding the difference between a naturally accessible language and a native language. "Why are you learning Spanish if you're hearing?" as if simply being hearing is enough.

Hey, you arent the only one. I got asked that question back in 1995 when I took my first ASL class at Arizona State by the deaf professor. Also, it didnt help that I was well known in the Deaf community by my culturally Deaf brother. I ignored them and continued to learn ASL in which 15 years later that I am completely fluent now. It was worth all the headaches.

Good luck!

Go to class next time wearing 'magic' glow in the dark, sequinned gloves. Start a trend like MJ. :giggle:

So I am getting sick of this perceived notion that my hearing loss should have come with magic gloves that would allow me to magically sign like a native. I am constantly asked by ASL students "why are you taking ASL classes" Me: "to learn ASL duh'" "but aren't you deaf"

They just don't get it... I don't understand why I have to keep reminding them that receiving Ha's, a nifty audiogram, and the gift of silence come with hearing loss. ASL is something you have to work for and LEARN it doesn't just happen.

I want those gloves, too!

The same issue comes up when you are raising a deaf child, people tend to assume the child will pluck ASL from the ether or that they are delivered with some kind of innate language software. A recent question from an education professional in an IEP meeting: why would my daughter need to have ASL included as part of her academic goals and requirements, couldn't she just pick that up outside of school, as a 'hobby'? I wish I had recorded the seriously effective smackdown from our educational consultant. I can't do it justice from memory.

(Can't tell you how often people also assumed my deaf child -- at 1YO -- could speak and understand Mandarin, because deafness, of course, only impacts access to sounds in English, and that wouldn't apply to Mandarin :eek3: .)

Go to class next time wearing 'magic' glow in the dark, sequinned gloves. Start a trend like MJ. :giggle:

:hmm: I wonder if my daughter will let me borrow her hot pink sequinned gloves teehee their smarkaly!! :giggle:
:ty: you guys are all awesome!

I want those gloves, too!

The same issue comes up when you are raising a deaf child, people tend to assume the child will pluck ASL from the ether or that they are delivered with some kind of innate language software.

:giggle: i lol and a wheelchair attached that couldn't be detached for kids with cerebral palsy.

Back