when was deaf culture 'discovered'

Thats funny, deaf culture starting when Padden and Humphries started writing about it!

I think Adam started deaf culture when he didn't "listen to", "hear" God.
Good point Tousi!!

The easy answer is that: there has been deaf culture since the first deaf person walked the earth, whether recognized and written about or not :)

Thats funny, deaf culture starting when Padden and Humphries started writing about it!

Good point Tousi!!

The easy answer is that: there has been deaf culture since the first deaf person walked the earth, whether recognized and written about or not :)

heya,
When i said hard questions,I usually meant I wont settle for easy answers. however thanks though for your effort. I meant like I'm not looking for 'easy answers' because I meant like sustainable arguments, really making throughout with definite descriptions. Making room for further investigation is always good for rigourous reasonings. The whole point is to discipline yourself away from assumming and being investigative while imparting to other also. That is the beauty of learning and teaching, it makes lives so much more richer.

I don't know why you want the hard questions for us to be ask about something we probably don't know any thing about. We might have some history from the Deaf School. But I came from the mainstream Elementary School and High School, so I don't know much about the Deaf Culture history. Deaf Culture is a social event for us to meet together in ASL without using the voice at all and just sign our communication. We have been doing that for a long time since Galladet and someone who went with him to bring the both French and English sign language. We are not all that brilliant and get straight A+ to know all the facts for you. Just give us a break, will you? It is not fair that we can not provide information that you want to know. So go easy on us.

yeah hmmm... politics, I am talking about involvment for fighting to make changes..... like to shouting and jumping up and down about deaf culture when think tanks and activists decide how make these political demand

Did you read my post? You probably did/already knew about Deaf President Now but I'm just checking to see that it wasn't overlooked; it probably wasn't the earliest incident, anyway. But I mean, according to wiki (I know, I know, unreliable source) it is still "a watershed moment that raised awareness of Deaf culture."

Did you read my post? You probably did/already knew about Deaf President Now but I'm just checking to see that it wasn't overlooked; it probably wasn't the earliest incident, anyway. But I mean, according to wiki (I know, I know, unreliable source) it is still "a watershed moment that raised awareness of Deaf culture."

I did,. thanks :ty:
yeah i havent used it yet but yes i've seen it :Ohno: big assignment is getting Heavy

Bebonang, ok , cheers

I did,. thanks :ty:
yeah i havent used it yet but yes i've seen it :Ohno: big assignment is getting Heavy

Bebonang, ok , cheers

Deaf Culture has been in existence as long as there has been deafness. Two deaf indiviuals who devised a common system of communication, in fact, also developed culture. As the culture of the Deaf is based on shared values and norms that are dependent upon shared experience and language, it exists whereever and whenever two deaf individuals come together. However, as the recognition of ASL as a complete and separate language is a recent development, so is the recognition of the culture that results from such.

I dont know if this will answer your questions exactly but it's some good information..

Deaf culture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

WOW!!! I read this wonderful article about Deaf Culture. I did not know that in Toronto have a new Deaf Culture Centre which was started last year and also the new museum, too. There are some good facts about the Deaf Culture. So, Grummer, read that on the website from Rockdrummer. That will satisfy your curious subject that you want to know for your project. Thank you Rockdrummer!!!! :ty:

Politic - I would think it started with Stokoe William C. Stokoe. I think maybe it change the way the deaf people see ourself. The civil rights in USA probably influence the deaf people.

I thought of the NAD which was founded in August 1880 the same year as Milan. The Congress of Milan was founded just after that. I thought maybe the Deaf Americans saw it coming but changed my mind when I read that the NAD passed the resolution against the pure oralism in 1893 - much later than Milan 1880. World Federation of the Deaf was established in 1951.

Timeline - National Association of the Deaf
History intro
WFD : About

Why don't you email Gallaudet for your answers ?

Politic - I would think it started with Stokoe William C. Stokoe. I think maybe it change the way the deaf people see ourself. The civil rights in USA probably influence the deaf people.

I thought of the NAD which was founded in August 1880 the same year as Milan. The Congress of Milan was founded just after that. I thought maybe the Deaf Americans saw it coming but changed my mind when I read that the NAD passed the resolution against the pure oralism in 1893 - much later than Milan 1880. World Federation of the Deaf was established in 1951.

Timeline - National Association of the Deaf
History intro
WFD : About

Why don't you email Gallaudet for your answers ?

I completley agree with you about William Stokoe. Deaf Culture existed before then, but when Stokoe identified ASL as an independent language, and as culture is language dependent, it allowed for recognition of Deaf Culture

Grummer, I believe in an earmarked page in Deaf history, Martha's vineyard kinda made more peeps "discover" a thriving community.. and that a Deaf Culture exists. Of course, that IS when I first learned about Deaf Culture thriving in old times.

I believe peeps were fascinated about this from a sociological and educational perspective. I believe that this particular thriving community was conceived out of a need .. perhaps human nature, to communicate and to grow, as civilizations normally do through their cultures. Funny, we do not have recorded history cultural notes from the Deaf perspective, only that monks and hearing peeps who took the time to educate them. I would think hearing people "discovered" a Deaf culture in the late 1960s, after Gallaudet and Clerc set up their "first" Deaf school in Connecticut. Before that, they were interested in the educational viewpoint. I could be wrong, though.

I think these monks wanted to teach Deaf peeps to instill Catholic or Christian faith in them, of course. Alexander Graham Bell wanted to help Deaf peeps to use voice, I guess, and at the same time get them sterilized. Good intentions usually pave the road to hell, it is said... but funny, hearing peeps taught Deaf peeps in ancient times? Kinda like latin sign language, currently a dead sign language? LOL Then we look at how sign languages of the world evolved through communities and social rules and all the good stuff that comes with having a culture. This is of course, my theory.

I do believe it is a bit biased to only record these events in history, as I am sure there are many rich history accounts from a Deaf perspective - but I think there is a strong oral tradition, like some cultures in the world I guess. I don't know if it is politicially motivated to present information in that frame, but probably it is just colored by ignorance and a need to relate to something in history or to fix something. What we do not understand we try to seek something to relate to or to fix.. but we are really limiting the richness of that something, and not giving ourselves an opportunity to learn something new that we can add to our distinctiveness. Oh, I love the Borg! LOL :)

I am sure there are some well versed historians here that could give you a more specific answer regarding your questions, Grummer. Your questions made me think, and want to expand on these thoughts here.

yeah there too much to know

william stoke was nto popular when he first annouced his ';discovery becuase for a long time, (and LOTS peolpe stil dumb think the same way as old fashioned) they believed sign language is not a language...., just 'pictures with the hands' they were so mistaken......

more so there was more studies showing reading skills, brains functin (in resarch) all proved brains is thinking in language areas wher signs are used, (btu also in different ways, like certain parts of the brain reserved for 'space' and linguistc' and grammar knid of got a different relationship.. the space part was enlarged so much that becuase deaf used "space' in linguistic sense. so to the brain ! amazing .. but im sorry i forgeot what books, i think mebbe Oliver sacks
must go now
Grum

yeah there too much to know

william stoke was nto popular when he first annouced his ';discovery becuase for a long time, (and LOTS peolpe stil dumb think the same way as old fashioned) they believed sign language is not a language...., just 'pictures with the hands' they were so mistaken......

more so there was more studies showing reading skills, brains functin (in resarch) all proved brains is thinking in language areas wher signs are used, (btu also in different ways, like certain parts of the brain reserved for 'space' and linguistc' and grammar knid of got a different relationship.. the space part was enlarged so much that becuase deaf used "space' in linguistic sense. so to the brain ! amazing .. but im sorry i forgeot what books, i think mebbe Oliver sacks
must go now
Grum

Oliver Sacks has done a great deal of study regarding neurological implications of deafness, He is a brilliant physician, and one of the few that takes functioning into consideration when deciding what is pathological and what is simply considered to be abnormal from a sociological standpoint.

And you are correct; Stoke was indeed unpopular with his ground breaking discoveries. But then so was Gallileo!:giggle:

Yup, got your replies, Jill, and Liza, Buffalo, Soz Ive quieten down recently,as too busy its mad in here.

Liza, you're right on the money there ' I do believe it is a bit biased to only record these events in history, as I am sure there are many rich history accounts from a Deaf perspective - but I think there is a strong oral tradition, like some cultures in the world I guess.'
you should beg, steal, or borrow for Paddy Ladd's new book "Understanding Deaf Culture - in search of Deafhood" abundent discussion on the need to re-write deaf history
Harlen Lane's when the mind hears is still worthy, its here to stay, its a record of the subtle and not-so subtle conflicts leading up to the Milan Ban.
There's an old saying:
"History attempts to provide society with an artificial collective memory." Mark M. Krug,

and another three,

"More history's made by secret handshakes than by battles, bills, and proclamations" John Barth

and

"History is past politics, and politics present history." John Robert Seeley

AND
"A lot of history is just dirty politics cleaned up for the consumption of children and other innocents." Richard Reeves

Buffalo, I might email them But I think I got plenty to use here (and more years ahead to develop further) but Yes I shall do that next time, just I reached a point where getting more information would force me to re-route and re-organise the essay's entire layout, too time-consuming (making contact with who, in Gally is another half the battle, so not this time, as I need to establish a relationship with another academic in gally in order to do this)

Jill, everytime I see your replies , its ALways from a psychologist POV, I dont mind it at all, its just kind of cool, and refreshing to see in a in ohter ways how people help people, in this case to help addressing the problems caused by oralism, first wave and second wave alike.

Must go back to study now, I just chimed in , and really loved all your helpful and freindly support and sharing of your time and knowledge

:ty::ty:
now have to go back to work .....:pissed:
Grum

Very interesting thread and question too. I may just teach my 3rd graders some of these facts about Deaf culture.

Yup, got your replies, Jill, and Liza, Buffalo, Soz Ive quieten down recently,as too busy its mad in here.

Liza, you're right on the money there ' I do believe it is a bit biased to only record these events in history, as I am sure there are many rich history accounts from a Deaf perspective - but I think there is a strong oral tradition, like some cultures in the world I guess.'
you should beg, steal, or borrow for Paddy Ladd's new book "Understanding Deaf Culture - in search of Deafhood" abundent discussion on the need to re-write deaf history
Harlen Lane's when the mind hears is still worthy, its here to stay, its a record of the subtle and not-so subtle conflicts leading up to the Milan Ban.
There's an old saying:
"History attempts to provide society with an artificial collective memory." Mark M. Krug,

and another three,

"More history's made by secret handshakes than by battles, bills, and proclamations" John Barth

and

"History is past politics, and politics present history." John Robert Seeley

AND
"A lot of history is just dirty politics cleaned up for the consumption of children and other innocents." Richard Reeves

Buffalo, I might email them But I think I got plenty to use here (and more years ahead to develop further) but Yes I shall do that next time, just I reached a point where getting more information would force me to re-route and re-organise the essay's entire layout, too time-consuming (making contact with who, in Gally is another half the battle, so not this time, as I need to establish a relationship with another academic in gally in order to do this)

Jill, everytime I see your replies , its ALways from a psychologist POV, I dont mind it at all, its just kind of cool, and refreshing to see in a in ohter ways how people help people, in this case to help addressing the problems caused by oralism, first wave and second wave alike.

Must go back to study now, I just chimed in , and really loved all your helpful and freindly support and sharing of your time and knowledge

:ty::ty:
now have to go back to work .....:pissed:
Grum

Always a pleasure to discuss these issues with you, Grum. (And I probably should be working, too!)

Back