When people say "this is awkward"

TrippyMoods22

Reaction score
When what they really want to say is, "I don't want to talk to you anymore."
Perhaps I'm used to bluntness, but it really frustrates me when people beat around the bush without coming right out and saying what they really want to say. Anybody else face this recently?

When what they really want to say is, "I don't want to talk to you anymore."
Perhaps I'm used to bluntness, but it really frustrates me when people beat around the bush without coming right out and saying what they really want to say. Anybody else face this recently?

then simply say this - just tell it to me straight. works just fine for me all the time.

If only it were that easy to be used on everyone

*shrug*

eh the way I see it... if some people don't take it too well... then why do you want to stay friends with them?

I lose nothing by not continuing to be friend with such people. so yea - it's that simple. very simple. trust me - life is not that complicated. only you make your own life complicated. so your choice - keep it simple or complicated.

however - if it seems that you're losing more and more friends... then you'll need to start looking at yourself and perhaps improve yourself to be a more likeable person.

Doesn't make it any easier, that I have no friends. Granted, I would like a few, but just don't want hearie friends. since I live in a hearie community, *shrugs* **** it.

I'm just jaded by all of the people who drop off, that I'd hoped would stick around for awhile, after meeting. Feh

You're still young so give it a little time.

I had..'friends' in high school but none where it was any sort of close friendships. Was almost never invited anywhere or a part of any groups though I was friendly with everyone (mostly) in my class (it was a very small high school). When I got to college that's where I met some long time friends and am still friends with most of them (one just broke off the friendship - err two really- the one was the 'mouthpiece' for both of 'em :P). As I got older I did meet(on and offline) and become friends with hearing people but learned to figure out which ones were worth cultivating a friendship with and it did pay off to a degree as a couple are very close very dear friends to me after almost 10 years.

Your view and ideas of friends and how you meet them will definitely change throughout your life- it did with mine and I'm grateful for the ones I do have for many reasons.

Ah to be 22... and to get to go back to Gallaudet again....:)

In my experience, when people say, "This is awkward", it signals a time to be considerate and sensitive.....

Feel mainly teens use this phrase. I know my boys did occasionally, and some of their friends who were easily embarrassed....and shy/timid. They usually outgrow it. As for adults...:giggle:...it's happened to me too...

In my experience, when people say, "This is awkward", it signals a time to be considerate and sensitive.....

But what of? Why do people even say it? I feel directness is a better approach. I'd rather be a tad hurt than angry about vagueness, as vague remarks don't touch upon an issue, but rather avoid it completely.

Anyway; considerate and sensitive of what, exactly?

But what of? Why do people even say it? I feel directness is a better approach. I'd rather be a tad hurt than angry about vagueness, as vague remarks don't touch upon an issue, but rather avoid it completely.

Depends on what the situation/issue is.....

They are being direct in telling you their feelings. They are telling you that discussing the topic makes them feel uncomfortable.

If it's too vague for you, you can ask them how or why it makes them uncomfortable.

Their feelings and viewpoint about the situation.

Unless it is someone you confide in, then you need to look at how you carry yourself. Otherwise, with those you don't know keep the conversation informal and don't put too much emphasis on how they react. Can't interest everybody.

I wonder just what does the person mean by saying "This is awkward" , do they mean they can't understand your speech or that are not sure how to talk to you b/c you are hoh . If like the person and want to get to know them you could try to find just what do they mean by saying " "This is awkward" , b/c it could mean anything . Some people do not feel comfortable about blunt or direct , they don't want to hurt a person feeling or do not like to made any waves.

The person in question had said it during a moment neither of us was talking.. I'm guessing either that silence makes her feel awkward, or I did. I don't recall much of what transpired, though I do recall that I had been avoiding anything personal, and tried to liven up the conversation by asking questions abt her interests, then telling her a little about myself when the first tack didn't work.

I wonder just what does the person mean by saying "This is awkward" , do they mean they can't understand your speech or that are not sure how to talk to you b/c you are hoh . If like the person and want to get to know them you could try to find just what do they mean by saying " "This is awkward" , b/c it could mean anything . Some people do not feel comfortable about blunt or direct , they don't want to hurt a person feeling or do not like to made any waves.

For an HoH persn, I am very well-spoken. I enunciate, I listen, and I am friendly..
As for what they meant, they would not elaborate much. I asked if the silence was what was awkward, and they were very vague in their reply (I would specify if I could remember how exactly they responded) but yeah, I understand that. Making waves isnt always a desired outcome

Doesn't make it any easier, that I have no friends. Granted, I would like a few, but just don't want hearie friends. since I live in a hearie community, *shrugs* **** it.

I see. I grew up mainstream. I wasn't aware of deaf community and ASL until few years ago. I do have lot of hearie friends and yet I also felt left out especially in group setting.

I see that you have a gf. how is it that you don't have friends? both of you should have at least a couple of friends to hang out regularly.

and why not go out to a deaf gathering?

The person in question had said it during a moment neither of us was talking.. I'm guessing either that silence makes her feel awkward, or I did. I don't recall much of what transpired, though I do recall that I had been avoiding anything personal, and tried to liven up the conversation by asking questions abt her interests, then telling her a little about myself when the first tack didn't work.

How about trying to go out doing something fun together so you both won't worry about trying to fill up all the time talking. It'll help you both feel more relaxed and easier to talk to one another.

usually when people talk like that, it's a sign he's very sensitive
g.png

usually when people talk like that, it's a sign he's very sensitive
g.png

Yes!...have seen this with many pre-teens...shy * timid and easily embarrassed.....And feel when someone says..."This is awkward", they are expressing their true feelings and don't know exactly how to approach the subject or person....

Back