When is it ok to meet someone you met online?

The Joker

Reaction score
I met this person who played with me on Sony PS3 games mostly gameshows and madden. We been friends for over 4 years and we shared each other on Facebook page

So, was it ok to meet that person? They weren't an ax murderer or anything ,were they.

I don't know, you kind of have to use your judgement about who to meet, and definitely meet in a public place with another person you do know.

No teenagers meeting older men, no way, ever!

well for me I met a guy online but I never met him till last Thursday June 4th.. I knew him online for almost 6 years at the time I was 31 when I met him thru one site NOT this site tho.. if wait was worth it but for teens nope they should not meet older guys till they are 21.. cuz older guys can be perverts sometimes I forgot to add something i met few people I knew from AOL in real life.. so no big deal but if can't meet other people that lives far from you can use VP or glide or whatever.. use common sense to remember if the person is bothering u just put him/her on block I had put too many on block since i was 20 or so lol

Well... I met few people in person after met them here at alldeaf dot com :aw:

I watch that 'catfish' show it about people who come to grief using fb..I met one or two people who so different in real life I was not keen

Just watched a video of a 16 year old girl...meeting a guy who said he was 16 also...at a restaurant....the girl was shocked to find he was in his 40's.... he still was trying to sweet-talk her...she was getting upset...and luckily, a couple sitting close by was listening to the conversation....(an off-duty police officer & his wife).....so when the guy started trying to pull her arm to leave the restaurant with him...the couple intervened....and most likely, saved her life!

Just watched a video of a 16 year old girl...meeting a guy who said he was 16 also...at a restaurant....the girl was shocked to find he was in his 40's.... he still was trying to sweet-talk her...she was getting upset...and luckily, a couple sitting close by was listening to the conversation....(an off-duty police officer & his wife).....so when the guy started trying to pull her arm to leave the restaurant with him...the couple intervened....and most likely, saved her life!

That was an episode of "What Would You Do"? wasn't it, Robin? Saw that a week or so ago.

We had a young girl murdered recently in my state, she met up with a guy she'd been corresponding with on f/b.

It's as Annie said- you have to use your best judgement in determining if it is safe. And always meet in a public place. The very first person I ever met from online (the old Prodigy Deaf boards...) was over 20 years ago (!); I took a friend of mine who I already knew and met my online friend at Shoney's lol. It was fine. Over the years I've met quite a few since then. I lost contact with the first person (wish I knew what happened to them, HOH...) but many if not all of the others I've met I have known them for between 9 to 17 years (some from AOL lol). One has been a better friend to me than a so-called friend or two that I met in college over 30 years ago.

It is true there are bad experiences as noted above but for the most part if you follow the advice- meet in public places (same is true for newspaper personal ads lol), if you can take another friend, tell others where you are going, if you feel uncomfortable cut the meeting short (and if it escalates- block 'em online), there won't be too much of a problem.

So far I haven't met a 300 lb bearded guy living in a basement and wielding an ax- at least not in person- yet.

It's as Annie said- you have to use your best judgement in determining if it is safe. And always meet in a public place. The very first person I ever met from online (the old Prodigy Deaf boards...) was over 20 years ago (!); I took a friend of mine who I already knew and met my online friend at Shoney's lol. It was fine. Over the years I've met quite a few since then. I lost contact with the first person (wish I knew what happened to them, HOH...) but many if not all of the others I've met I have known them for between 9 to 17 years (some from AOL lol). One has been a better friend to me than a so-called friend or two that I met in college over 30 years ago.

It is true there are bad experiences as noted above but for the most part if you follow the advice- meet in public places (same is true for newspaper personal ads lol), if you can take another friend, tell others where you are going, if you feel uncomfortable cut the meeting short (and if it escalates- block 'em online), there won't be too much of a problem.

So far I haven't met a 300 lb bearded guy living in a basement and wielding an ax- at least not in person- yet.

Now do take care Ducky, you never know when that 300lb ax murderer will come along. :giggle:

I've met my train friends in person. The first ones I met were 4 guys. I was meeting them at my train station so felt safe. I've since met up withstand more, men & women, at mini-gatherings and our official informal yearly gathering.

I think it's better to meet people from online sooner rather than later. People can present themselves in a way online that they don't in person. It doesn't even have to be intentional that they do that. People also imagine someone to be something they are not and their expectations can be higher than reality. By meeting sooner you know if you get along with that person and you can make the choice as to continue things online or not.

So, if you're talking to someone online and they or you say, "We should meet" you should make concrete plans for that instead of dragging it out for months or years.

So, was it ok to meet that person? They weren't an ax murderer or anything ,were they.

I don't know, you kind of have to use your judgement about who to meet, and definitely meet in a public place with another person you do know.

No teenagers meeting older men, no way, ever!

The problem with this that some people pretend to be a teenager on line and the teenager agree to meet in person. Teenagers should not met anyone they met on line , even if that person had posted their 'photo' , that could anyone photo but their.

no worries mates i check this guy out he looks old about same age as me. He even shared something personal with me that his dad died.

My partner and I are together for 17 years from Aol Deaf chat room! :) Two kids! <3

I met this person who played with me on Sony PS3 games mostly gameshows and madden. We been friends for over 4 years and we shared each other on Facebook page

most of "online" friends I've met in person are from AD. and a few from my motorcycle forum.

My partner and I are together for 17 years from Aol Deaf chat room! :) Two kids! <3
One friend met her husband via the old MS Comic Chat (It's pretty much dead now) and were married (sadly I think she either is filing for or has filed for divorce after 10 years due to other issues that came up a few years after they married).

Hmm thought I knew another couple who met via online but it's not popping...

I'm agreed with post should meet on alldeaf online it's would best I'm been had hard time on my breakup with ex boyfriend last May for reasons include his lying,cheating and begging my own money but opinion isn't breakup!! But I'm mad at him and he never give me money back he owe me $300 he promise me and back me money!!

I'm ready for dating I'm hating lying,cheating and stealing I'm 34 and I'm white woman plus I'm 6'2

I don't own a playstation but if I did i would be on all day os i don't want it but one day if I move out I will definately get ps3 or whatever.. ;) but not on for hours no like 2 to 3 hours then find something to do but unlike for me i never really do anything else that much mostly computer and VP and read books or go get coffee lucky I live near starbucks coffee ;)

Back