When hearie person said to you something and didn't know you're Ddeaf/Hhoh....

i still remember the first time a hearie told me "nevermind." it was my dad. being just recent deaf, he was talking and i was trying to read his lips and after the third time i asked him to repeat himself, he said "nevermind" and walked away. it was actually kinda heartbreaking. ever since then i resented the word.

That happens ALOT in my family. But If I can't understand something, I'd go to my mom and ask her to sign to me on whoever was trying to tell me something. And she'd do it for me. But it's also fustrating with people at school too. And Especially in front of my crush at school. If I don't understand something I'd just pretend that I understand that person instead of having to go: "what did you say?" "huh" "what?" "Can you repeat that?"

It's kind of embarressing. And I don't want to have to go through that all the time.

To me, the "neverminds" is like I am not important enough to be included in the conversation or get the information. I hate them...since getting involved with the Deaf community more meaning less involvement with the hearing community, those "neverminds" dont happen as often.

Same here!!!!!!!!!

Sorry about that. This is opposite of me and my dad. My dad is hearing and I am deaf, I tried to tell him something, I fingerspelling, he don't understand, then I do it really SLOW! He still don't get it. I was gave up and told him nevermind. He got pissed off and yelling at me, "NO!!! TELL ME!".. I end up had to stand up and went get the paper and pen. Or telling him to get online on computer on aim so we talking on aim through his computer to my sidekick. He always get mad if I say nevermind to him all the times.

Kinda ironic that "never mind" in this situation is reversed but I'm glad that your dad demanded to know what you wanted to say because he CARES. :cool2:

yeah My sister is very softspoken too. Usually I'll ask her to repeat it and she'd be still soft spokened. And I wouldn't understand her at all and she'd just give up and say: "Never mind"

Typical

But When we're fighting. She uses this hurtful words: "Dumb Deaf Girl!" And I'd call her back: "Stupid Hearing kid" Honestly she KNOWS that will cut me to the core of my heart. Because I'm proud of being deaf. But at most times I don't because It makes me jealous that hearing people don't judge on hearing people. But they do on people who has special needs or people that has divisibilities. But mostly I'm always jealous of my sister whose 12 years old in the 6th grade. From the past 6 years she always brought straight A's home, And I was a average kid that got B's or C's. But I wanted to get straight A's. I felt like My sister was more of a perfect kid than I was. I still feel like that.

Sometimes I wish life were more simpler and easier for all of us.

you know hearing people do judge other hearing people like... stupid, fat, ugly, etc. such ungrateful people they are :roll:

I subbed for another prof's class last semester and explained to the class that I had a hearing loss. The lecture got underway and towards the end of the hour I asked if anyone had questions or comments. One kid looked straight at me and said "why should we say anything if you won't hear us?" His friends around him started laughing. So I said "well, I suppose that's one way of looking at it, but I can read lips - so fire away!". I tried to smile and take it in stride but as soon as the class was dismissed I went to my office and just cried my eyes out. Why are people so freakin' mean?

The next semester a student who was in that class happened to be enrolled in one of mine. After the first lecture she came up to the podium and apologized to me about that incident, saying "that kid was a jerk". The fact that someone remembered that slight from months b4 - and realized my feelings were probably hurt by it - was quite touching. I went back to my office and cried in a good way.

hey.. that was a very good happy ending! and also - you handled that awkward moment pretty nice.

yeah My sister is very softspoken too. Usually I'll ask her to repeat it and she'd be still soft spokened. And I wouldn't understand her at all and she'd just give up and say: "Never mind"

Typical

But When we're fighting. She uses this hurtful words: "Dumb Deaf Girl!" And I'd call her back: "Stupid Hearing kid" Honestly she KNOWS that will cut me to the core of my heart. Because I'm proud of being deaf. But at most times I don't because It makes me jealous that hearing people don't judge on hearing people. But they do on people who has special needs or people that has divisibilities. But mostly I'm always jealous of my sister whose 12 years old in the 6th grade. From the past 6 years she always brought straight A's home, And I was a average kid that got B's or C's. But I wanted to get straight A's. I felt like My sister was more of a perfect kid than I was. I still feel like that.

Sometimes I wish life were more simpler and easier for all of us.

coolgirl,

i'm sorry you have to experience this. it must be very frustrating for you to constantly live in the shadow of your sister.

And as for people who think blind/deaf means dumb, they can go play in traffic.

i'm totally deafblind and you'd be surprised at how many sighted-hearing people react with amazement when they find out i'm currently working towards my bachelor's degree in social work. suddenly i go from being an uneducated "mute" (after all, deafblind people can't talk!) to a "gifted" and "amazing" person who defies all odds. <rolling eyes>

I can beat that-a few months ago I was sitting at a stop light daydreaming and then wondered why the cross-traffic wasn't moving. Then I noticed the car in the lane next to me was trying to move over to the curb, and looked in my rearview mirror and there was an ambulance right behind me, lights flashing. It moved to the space created by the car next to me. I felt so stupid. I usually try to remember to keep an eye out for emergency vehicles. I lot count of the times when I thanked God for other people because I might have gone into an intersection just when a fire truck or police car was speeding through.

HAHA, wow sorry about that. lol kinda same here but I was moved other side last minute when saw ambulance light flash come.

coolgirl,

i'm sorry you have to experience this. it must be very frustrating for you to constantly live in the shadow of your sister.

Yeah, sometimes i feel like she's the one getting attention from my parents all the time while i'm trying my best.

you know hearing people do judge other hearing people like... stupid, fat, ugly, etc. such ungrateful people they are :roll:

yes,But this is different. Being deaf is so much different compared to all of those other things about how you're looked as. If I'm being judged on beings stupid, fat, ugly,etc, I'd say Whatever b*tch. And walk away.

One time, I was at Bands Of America Grand Nationals at Indy,Indiana at Lucas Oil Stadium, My band was the 9th finalists of america. We were allowed to go around the field saying congrats to all who got a place in the finals or won the BOA Grand nats. I went up to this Drum Mayjor saying congrats. His band also got a place as a finalist too. This is what we said.

Me: Hey, Congrats!
Him: Oh thanks, Oh yeah by the way go tell your band to go F**k off and never come back here again.
Me (didn't understand him at the moment and realized what he meant): Oh..uhh..fine. (smiling and nodding and shaking his hand)
He realized i was also deaf and so he made weird faces.
Him: I didn't realize you were so deaf. Are you so dumb and deaf as the other people?
Me: Hmm..I don't know...Why don't you find out..And maybe you'll realize that You're dumb. Not me.
I walk away.

Hey Hear Again,

I can't believe anyone would think you are stupid! You are obviously an intelligent and articulate young woman with a deep and complex soul. And I know that after being online with you for, oh, 3 days. Keep on keeping on being yourself! Many hugs!

ps. I too suffer from mental illness as well, so I share your pain on that account.

i'm totally deafblind and you'd be surprised at how many sighted-hearing people react with amazement when they find out i'm currently working towards my bachelor's degree in social work. suddenly i go from being an uneducated "mute" (after all, deafblind people can't talk!) to a "gifted" and "amazing" person who defies all odds. <rolling eyes>

Wow, it's amazing. You became a genius in 10 seconds, and they showed their true ignorance in even less! :giggle:

Hey Hear Again,

I can't believe anyone would think you are stupid! You are obviously an intelligent and articulate young woman with a deep and complex soul. And I know that after being online with you for, oh, 3 days. Keep on keeping on being yourself! Many hugs!

ps. I too suffer from mental illness as well, so I share your pain on that account.

awww, thanks for the compliment -- and the hugs! <hugs back>

by the way, if you would like to talk about mental illness, feel free to send me a message under my profile anytime. (of course, if you're not comfortable, that's fine too. :))

That drives me nuts! I can totally relate. How people go from thinking I'm stupid to think I'm amazing for doing something people do every day just cause I'm blind. <eyeroll>

That drives me nuts! I can totally relate. How people go from thinking I'm stupid to think I'm amazing for doing something people do every day just cause I'm blind. <eyeroll>

i know. it's infuriating, isn't it? i always tell people that i don't do amazing things. i do normal things in a different way.

Can I quote you on that to other people?

sure, be my guest. another favorite quote of mine came from a deafblind woman i met while in training at my local deafblind center. her favorite quote was, "i'm not disabled. i'm differently-abled."

Oh yeah, that's happened to me a lot. I don't think it's that they're mad at you, I think they're frustrated. Maybe if you told them how to make it clearer-for instance, enunciate or speak slower, there'd be less frustration on both ends. It's gonna last as long as you live, so find a way to deal with it or you'll go nuts. (like the rest of us! ;) )

They KNOW how to deal with it, they taught me while i was growing up!

I've seen it happen. I'll see a guy try to help my deaf friend by offering customer service. But my friend doesn't hear him trying to offer him help. So, he gets fussy and turns away upset. I then tell him, "Oh, he's deaf. Just tap his shoulder." His face lit up knowing that there was still a chance to make his customer happy. So, he tried again and my friend responded. :)

Back