When hearie person said to you something and didn't know you're Ddeaf/Hhoh....

yagazn

Reaction score
Then when you point to your ear and said, "I'm Ddeaf, I can't hear". Hearie person said, "Oh, never mind" and walk away.

A friend of mine who's Ddeaf, he can't hear at all. I was sitting next to him on a train. Hearing lady said "Hello, excuse me" talk behind him. She said, "Jerk". She think that he ignored her but he can't hear behind her. I told her that he's Ddeaf. Then her face turned red and embrassed.

I took my hearing aid off because I need to quiet my ears. Someone talked behind me, I didn't hear it. Oh, well. It happened to me.

Anyone experience that before?

Wow, it happened to me also.. I would tell them that I'm deaf like I point at my ear and shake my head to say no like I say I can't hear... Some of them will try to talk to me, some of them wouldn't. Just depends on who and reason...

Also, once when I was working at Hollywood Video, I just stocked DVDs on the shelf and somehow, a man behind me and spoke to me but I can't hear anything and he said, are you dumb deaf or what?! My co worker walked up to him and told him to not dare to do that because I'm actually deaf then he insulted her that she SHOULDN'T hire dumb and deaf people to work! Because it's such of waste, they end up agured and my boss told him to leaving and don't come back if he's not pleasure with me being work no matter what if Im deaf or not. :roll: That's such of drama, she told me what happened when I saw them agured and I was wtf..

Happens to me often. I don't necessarily have to point to my ears because I can speak (so I say it instead of pointing) but I still get a lot of the same responses you do -- "oh never mind," or they walk away, or "I'm sorry!!" .. etc. I think it happens to most of us at some point or another.

What would you prefer to be the reaction of the hearie to be when they discover you are deaf?

I recall working at a computer shop where a woman was talking to me about her broken computer, then I obscured her vision of my mouth as I turned around mid-sentence and she asked me to repeat myself as she is deaf and lip reading.

I was shocked, felt uncomfortable, at the same time though it blew me away that if she hadn't told me, I would have never known. It took me a few moments to pull mysef together and to go back to being normal with her.

I can also remember entering a dialog with a deaf man on a coach, he was frustrated by the fact I couldn't really understand him, I was being patient with him but he lacked any patience for me and he would terminate communication abruptly, then initiate it again later.

Wow, it happened to me also.. I would tell them that I'm deaf like I point at my ear and shake my head to say no like I say I can't hear... Some of them will try to talk to me, some of them wouldn't. Just depends on who and reason...

Also, once when I was working at Hollywood Video, I just stocked DVDs on the shelf and somehow, a man behind me and spoke to me but I can't hear anything and he said, are you dumb deaf or what?! My co worker walked up to him and told him to not dare to do that because I'm actually deaf then he insulted her that she SHOULDN'T hire dumb and deaf people to work! Because it's such of waste, they end up agured and my boss told him to leaving and don't come back if he's not pleasure with me being work no matter what if Im deaf or not. :roll: That's such of drama, she told me what happened when I saw them agured and I was wtf..

That is a sign of a good employer, WhisperHorse, that the boss stood up for you, then told you about it later. :cool2:

Then when you point to your ear and said, "I'm Ddeaf, I can't hear". Hearie person said, "Oh, never mind" and walk away.

Oh yes it had happened to me everywhere, you name it. The last time a hearing person was talking to me, and I informed that person I'm sorry I'm deaf can you repeat that again, the hearing person had said "never mind" I said no, it is not "never mind." have some patiences for gawd sake! :D

It happens to me often. Hubby comes to the rescue and tells them she is deaf. They usually are apologetic.

Other times I just say excuse me, but I can not hear. And they are usually understanding and apologetic.

I have seen and "heard" people react in a negative tone such as saying in a loud voice "what a bitch".

I just turn back and sign to them "bitch" back. LOL. I know! It is not the best way to handle it. But it stuns them.

We can not expect the hearing people to know that we are deaf. Most of them do not realize til after the fact. Believe me. I bet they get more embarrassed than we do.

So stand proud.

That really irks me. How disrespectful to just shove you off!!! Did it ever occur to them that you are a person too? I would JUMP at the chance to randomly meet a deaf person! I would rather talk to a deaf employee than a hearie anyday. :hmm:

Egh, I get that sometimes. A lot of people who are hearing get frustrated when they have to repeat themselves -_-' ...

patience is a virtue.

i wonder if any one thought of ways to make this rudeness to be some how a legal issue? i mean like making it illegal to offend deaf people like this? that's already done for with racism, ageism, sexism, so why not with hearism?

Happens to me often. I don't necessarily have to point to my ears because I can speak (so I say it instead of pointing) but I still get a lot of the same responses you do -- "oh never mind," or they walk away, or "I'm sorry!!" .. etc. I think it happens to most of us at some point or another.

one of my sisters says this to me whenever i ask her to repeat herself (she is very softspoken) and it bugs the h*ll out of me. :mad:

i also get people who say they're sorry because i can't see. my response to that is, "why be sorry? i'm not, so why should you be?"

besides, blindness is something i've always known and you can't miss what you never had.

"Sorry".

Sometimes I find myself apologizing for being Deaf..."sorry, I'm deaf". "Sorry, I can't hear." "Sorry, I dont understand". Or worse, when I tell people I've lost my hearing, they say "Oh, Sorry" like I have a terminal disease. I hate that. I hate that I feel like I have to apologize for a fact of life, for the fact that an invisibile difference becomes such a huge barrier.

I just try to tell people that I'm fine, I just can't hear. I also try not to be rude, because I think most people are innocent. I don't think most people intend to be rude or insulting, and sometimes I think they respond out of embarassment and ignorance. I try to educate them so maybe it will be a better experience for the next deaf person they meet.

Ive had this happen more times than I could count, especially when the person was on the side of my deaf ear and I had no idea they were speaking to me. oops. Obviously, we are not intentionally ignoring them but once we realize they are there I think a simple gesture to let them know we are deaf should suffice and no need to apologize to them because we are deaf. A lot of normal rational folks will blush with embarrassment then go on. I used to tell myself to be overly aware of my surroundings as to make sure that I'm not in someone's way, well, after a while I started getting anxious when out in public finally I just had to tell myself that it is impossible to be 100% aware of what is going on when I don't have 100% of my senses intact, so I just pay attention to my surroundings without throwing myself into hyper-overdrive trying to be 100% aware.

"Sorry".

Sometimes I find myself apologizing for being Deaf..."sorry, I'm deaf". "Sorry, I can't hear." "Sorry, I dont understand". Or worse, when I tell people I've lost my hearing, they say "Oh, Sorry" like I have a terminal disease. I hate that. I hate that I feel like I have to apologize for a fact of life, for the fact that an invisibile difference becomes such a huge barrier.

I just try to tell people that I'm fine, I just can't hear. I also try not to be rude, because I think most people are innocent. I don't think most people intend to be rude or insulting, and sometimes I think they respond out of embarassment and ignorance. I try to educate them so maybe it will be a better experience for the next deaf person they meet.

That is one of my bad habits telling people that I'm sorry I can't hear you,understand you and I''m sorry that you can't understand me (deaf accent) I had some ADers tell me to stop doing that but I' working on it.

Heh. Sometimes I got a bad habit of doing "Huh?" or "What?" facial expression when hearing person was talking to me, knowing that I can't understand that person. Dunno why I did that though.

Of course, I'll just point to my ear and shake my head just to let them know that I can't hear.

I just noticed that I didn't answer the question. Hmmm . . . sometimes, I say, "I'm sorry," then the person repeats it. If I still don't understand, then I usually make mention of my hearing aids or, when they see and figure out what my dog is for, then people are usually nicer. "Usually" being the operative word here. If the person doesn't repeat it, then I deem what they have to say as unimportant and disregard what they have to say.

Happens a lot to me. I have very little hearing so I can make out most but reading lips is the best for me. People just are a bit rude about it I have found. If I ask someone to repeat their selves it at times seems as if they think I am slow or dumb. I am not either and I do not need to announce that I am HoH.. people think well you can hear whats your problem? My problem is yes I can hear you but you sound like your mumbling or like you said something else (this can be comical to me, I hear lots of cuss words). You can not tell a person is HoH or deaf it and no one should be offended if we do not announce it.

Back