When fingerspelling

S0rceress0

Reaction score
1- words with several of the same letters such as corvallis, is it better to sign the l l next to each other or in the same "location" but just moving the hand slightly to show they are different letters?

2 - numbers such as a year 1991, is it ok to use single numbers 1 9 9 1? I think that in the context it would be understood, such as "my father died 1 9 9 1" or should I look up how to sign the thousands number??

1- words with several of the same letters such as corvallis, is it better to sign the l l next to each other or in the same "location" but just moving the hand slightly to show they are different letters?
Depends on the letter.

Some letters make a slight slide to the side.

Some letters "open and close" for the repeat.

Double Z is made with one motion but the hand shape is modified to draw the Z with index and middle fingers at the same time.

2 - numbers such as a year 1991, is it ok to use single numbers 1 9 9 1? I think that in the context it would be understood, such as "my father died 1 9 9 1" or should I look up how to sign the thousands number??
The year 1991 would be 19-91 (nineteen ninety-one).

Current year 2011 would be 20-11 (twenty eleven).

There are special ways to sign phone numbers, team scores, ordinal numbers, cardinal numbers, ages, sport jersey numbers, addresses, dates, place finishes, etc. Signing numbers is a whole lesson in itself.

1. Bounce the hand slightly, yeah.
2. Just sign 1991 as in 1 then 2 9's then 1, it is not necessary to say "ONE THOUSAND NINE HUNDRED NINETY ONE"

1. Bounce the hand slightly, yeah.
2. Just sign 1991 as in 1 then 2 9's then 1, it is not necessary to say "ONE THOUSAND NINE HUNDRED NINETY ONE"

Reba's description was "on spot" and she should know as she is an interpreter.

Reba's way of signing nineteen-ninety one actually seems more efficient. I looked up the nineteen and the ninety and it seems to involve less movement than single digits. It's the way I actually "say" it as well so I can think it easily while I sign it and it should make more sense to those watching my video.

The more I learn, the more I have to learn ;)

Everyone can join in. The more, the merrier! :)

Back