When donating stuff..

I've seen a few people wear them here - ok, this is Perth in Australia, so maybe we're still stuck in the 80s (which is highly likely) or at the forefront of a new age of retro fashion....

One thing about donating, I would not suggest goodwill, the CEOs and executives make a ton of money while the rest of the "serfs" get paid peanuts.

Source: John Hrabe: Goodwill's Charity Racket: CEOs Earn Top-Dollar, Workers Paid Less Than Minimum Wage

This is interesting. Being a Charitable Organisation can mean a lot of things.
I've worked for one Charity fixing Peace-Keeping equipment in Seirra Leone, another one looking for landmines in Bosnia and another one walking dogs here in Perth. It's all Charity work whether dodging bullets or traffic.
But there's some serious fraud going on - at all levels. This is very low paid work - if its even paid at all. I've been out in the middle of nowhere, wondering if the DHSS are going to cover my Mortgage for the month - even whilst I've been trying to fix a Land-Rover with British squaddies providing cover.
Whether its rattling tins or driving Trucks we all do the same thing - I just ask that those guys at the top understand what happens.

Usually the thrift store will have guidelines posted on their website. Many thrift shops sell stained or ripped clothing as rags for manufactures to use in cleaning or clothes by the pound for export. I was in a shop that sold clothes like this as a child - it was litterally a mountain of clothes in the hot stuffy room you could climb.

Most of my clothes are old, even my shoes aren't exactly new..lol I think the oldest clothing I have is from the 70's, old Olive Drab army pants, I got them from my father because he could no longer fit in them, he got them when he was in the Army. I also have clothes I got in the 90's from thrift stores my mother took me to, clothes she told me I would 'grow' into, which actually wasn't a lie, but the clothes were a little big then, but even when I got the clothes in the mid 90's, they were still old.

Like the pair of Levi-Strauss jeans, they show inside they were made in the US. I also still wear several plaid shirts I got in the 90's, one of them I know is from the 80's. Oh, I have my DPM jacket, which is very old, I'm not entirely sure how old though.

I do have some newer clothes, but everything I own is from a thrift store pretty much.

Most of my clothes are old, even my shoes aren't exactly new..lol I think the oldest clothing I have is from the 70's, old Olive Drab army pants, I got them from my father because he could no longer fit in them, he got them when he was in the Army. I also have clothes I got in the 90's from thrift stores my mother took me to, clothes she told me I would 'grow' into, which actually wasn't a lie, but the clothes were a little big then, but even when I got the clothes in the mid 90's, they were still old.

Like the pair of Levi-Strauss jeans, they show inside they were made in the US. I also still wear several plaid shirts I got in the 90's, one of them I know is from the 80's. Oh, I have my DPM jacket, which is very old, I'm not entirely sure how old though.

I do have some newer clothes, but everything I own is from a thrift store pretty much.

Army clothes last forever , I use to go Army & Navy store in Boston in the late 60' and buy turtlenecks there ,that 100 % cotton and heavy and the colors where nice and bright . Their clothes last forever , I miss not having
A&N store near. I think that is neat you have your dad army clothes.
I would love to have my dad but he was in WW 1 .
70's and buy

I have at least two sweaters that I think are military- I have no idea where I got them from- likely somebody got them from a thrift store some 20 years ago (maybe I did). I know they are not Army (my father was in the Army- 2 years) but think Air Force. I think I still have them here at my parents as I haven't worn a sweater in over 10 years now lol.

Army clothes last forever , I use to go Army & Navy store in Boston in the late 60' and buy turtlenecks there ,that 100 % cotton and heavy and the colors where nice and bright . Their clothes last forever , I miss not having
A&N store near. I think that is neat you have your dad army clothes.
I would love to have my dad but he was in WW 1 .
70's and buy

I have some of his old military clothing but I no longer have any of my old army stuff, I took my ACUs out back, put them in a barrel, poured petrol on them and burned them out of existence. It felt good cleansing myself of that part of my past physically, but not mentally, that stuff will be with me until the day I die unfortunately.

Modern Army stuff won't last long, it's all overpriced cheap crap.

There it is my 23 year old whatever it is. That I hang onto because of.....reasons. I don't know I don't wear it lol

View attachment 20778

I've still got a nylon windbreaker I wear from '84. Sadly, it came with some parachute style pants…

Its nice for this time of year - keeps the morning chill off, very light, has a hood that folds into the collar, folds up easy to stick in my backpack when it warms up later in the day, and you never know when you might need to do a windmill.

I have some of his old military clothing but I no longer have any of my old army stuff, I took my ACUs out back, put them in a barrel, poured petrol on them and burned them out of existence. It felt good cleansing myself of that part of my past physically, but not mentally, that stuff will be with me until the day I die unfortunately.

Modern Army stuff won't last long, it's all overpriced cheap crap.

Yeah , I was wondering about how good the modern army stuff is . The turtlenecks I brought I the 60's & 70's lasted for years. I had a navy pea
coat too that was warm as hell . Try not to think about that part of your pass and made some new memories today so they'll become your past memories . I have to try and block out my most of my childhood and try to think of the good times I had growing up.

I would find another group other than Goodwill to donate my clothing to. Besides underpaying workers, the clothing they export is ruining the economies of where they export the clothing to. I'd rather donate it to a group that, if they sell it to recycling places, puts the money to good use.

Most items I give away to friends or family first for cool or pricy stuff. I dont have much stuff but I do recycle old gym shoes or clothes I drop off in boxes etc. Old ruined clothes turn into rags or dog towels etc I donate alot of blankets n towels to animal shelters. Or cool stuff no one wants

Clothes at our house either get used up or changed into something else. Generally I will donate quilts i made from the clothes and other cloth, toys, and food.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AllDeaf App mobile app

Back