When do you put on your aid(s)/implant(s)?

RoseRodent

Reaction score
Just out of interest, do you put on your aid(s)/implant(s) as soon as you get up in the morning or not? I found it interesting that chatting to some others, a girl with bilateral HAs and a boy with monaural CI both said although they sit up in bed and immediately put on their glasses they leave their hearing instruments until they are about to go out the front door. I realised I do exactly the same, the moment I wake up the glasses go on but the aids don't go on till I am ready to go out the door.

But in reverse at night, I wear the HAs till I am asleep - literally, I fall asleep with the aids in and wake up about half an hour later to pull them out, but the glasses I take off about an hour before bed. Think I am going to have to stop this, though, I realised I was only able to watch TV in bed to help me sleep cos I couldn't hear it! I'd watch a TV show I'd already seen a lot and knew the plot so I could overlay the actual script with the snippets of hearing, but actually hearing it keeps me awake!

Do you put your ears on all day long? If not, do you know why not? I have no idea why I have this habit of putting my aids in last, unless it's cos they catch my hairbrush.

Hearing aids/CI is like cold shower in the morning. I have to wake up for awhile before I put it on.

I don't wear it unless I have to deal with hearing people.

I put my HAs in after having a wash in the morning because I don't want to get them wet. After that I keep them in all day and take them out after I get into bed at night, immediately before switching out the light. Only time I don't wear them is if I go swimming.

I usually put them on before I go downstairs and have to deal with people that expect me to hear, if Im alone I usually dont have them on unless I want to listen to music.

most of the time

I wear my hearing aids all day, except for once in a awhile I have "hung around" my apartment and left them out. Maybe for a couple of days. I almost ALWAYS wear them "in public" cuz I figure I need to hear whatever I can. Especially when I am driving. Although I quite often SEE emergency vehicles BEFORE I hear the sirens. Also, if other people "don't get it" (about the hearing problem) I can always say something and POINT to the hearing aids in my ears. People usually "get it" then.:laugh2:

When I used to wear aids I always put them on as soon I go out the door. And take them out as soon I come back in the house.

As, I work at deaf boarding school as TA also stays at the school few nights a week I need to keep my ears (CI and HA) in at all the time in case the kids needs me. But I take them out last thing and put them in first thing when I wake up.
When i am at home during holidays/weekends, i rarely put the HA on unless i go out or expecting someone. I wear my CI all waking hours.

I wear mine when I need to speak to a hearing person. That's about it.

I put mine on right after my shower. On workdays, I will turn it on when my family comes downstairs. After dropping off my son at school, I will turn it off until I get settled at work. At that point, I turn it on and leave it on until about 9:30 after my family goes to bed. On weekends, I simply turn it on after taking my shower and leave it on until 9:30.

Update - The reason I turn it on and leave it on (CI) is that to get the full benefit of it is to use it (AKA the use it or lose it principle). There is no way I be so good with it if I hadn't done so from the beginning. Unlike many, listening all day doesn't bother me even when it is loud. Heck, I been close to a fighter jet going full blast on the tarmac and it was great!

Last edited:
I don't put them on until I need to deal with hearing ppl or I want to listen to music

Workdays only and just before I go out the door. I remove them promptly upon returning and flick them into the dryer. In other words, I wear them only for the boss.

It depends on the time and all that, but usually when I am at the location that I am heading. I don't usually wear them at home because it's very loud where I live and I feel overstimulated with them in. Same as in the car, so I put them in when I get to school/work or whatever.:D

I only wear my hearing aids when I will be in some sort of "important" public situation. If I'm going to be at a meeting, a doctors appointment, or school situation. I really stopped wearing them a lot since I switched to online classes 4 years ago. I probably only put my hearing aids in several times a year. Although I've been scolded a little for not wearing them more often, it doesn't matter to me... they overall only improve my hearing by 15-20% (and I've got severe hearing loss in both ears).

I'm in the process of getting the cochlear though and I do think I'd be one of those people that only puts it on when I see a reason. When I watch TV, am going in public, when my husband is home, so on. I may not see the point if I'm home alone sitting on the computer doing schoolwork, although, I might at the same time, just for the convenience of hearing all the little things I don't hear anymore.

Dumb question to Panda - why get the CI if you dont intend to use it or dont wear aids now? Just curious is all because of the time and money involved. I read lots of good things about them from an AD member who recently got it. Good luck with your procedure, by the way.

Dumb question to Panda - why get the CI if you dont intend to use it or dont wear aids now? Just curious is all because of the time and money involved. I read lots of good things about them from an AD member who recently got it. Good luck with your procedure, by the way.

Good point LDnanna

i wear my aids every day from waking up to bedtime. atm i'm not wearing any aids due to CI op two days ago. still recovery for two more weeks.

once i get CI i will be wearing it from waking up to bedtime as usual.

Because I like silence the most. But i can only savior it when I'm alone. And I am completely socially withdrawn, so my next step is to get the cochlear, which is going to improve my hearing by 60%, at least. Point being, in order for me to finally get on WITH my life and HAVE a life outside of the comfortableness I've had the past 7 years, I feel like it's time I NEED the cochlear to get there. So I can be in a group setting and eventually know what everyone is saying and so on. Plus, my life of being at home alone a lot is only going to last 2-3 more years. I know it's coming to end. And I also felt the desperate urge to the get the cochlear before I have kids- b/c the idea of not knowing what strangers are always saying to me and my kids in public, urkes the crap out of me (something you see ALL the time when you watch strangers interact to other peoples kids).

Last, I'm kind of in the dead situation where it's get the cochlear and learn to function in the society I grew up with, or continue to pretty much have a severe hearing loss and do nothing. B/c learning and actually using ASL, fluently (I know it minorly) for the rest of my life is a pretty dead end in my life. Overall, the cochlear will gain me more benefits than learning ASL will.

When I wake up, I put in one hearing aid and come back for the other in a little while. I think it's because I need to "wake up" a little more (or maybe I'm just too lazy to reach over again for the other HA, lol). But I want to be able to communicate with my family, and leaving both of them out tends to make me feel sluggish and sloppy. Just one HA gives my brain that little perky boost to help wake me up.

Because I like silence the most. But i can only savior it when I'm alone. And I am completely socially withdrawn, so my next step is to get the cochlear, which is going to improve my hearing by 60%, at least. Point being, in order for me to finally get on WITH my life and HAVE a life outside of the comfortableness I've had the past 7 years, I feel like it's time I NEED the cochlear to get there. So I can be in a group setting and eventually know what everyone is saying and so on. Plus, my life of being at home alone a lot is only going to last 2-3 more years. I know it's coming to end. And I also felt the desperate urge to the get the cochlear before I have kids- b/c the idea of not knowing what strangers are always saying to me and my kids in public, urkes the crap out of me (something you see ALL the time when you watch strangers interact to other peoples kids).

Last, I'm kind of in the dead situation where it's get the cochlear and learn to function in the society I grew up with, or continue to pretty much have a severe hearing loss and do nothing. B/c learning and actually using ASL, fluently (I know it minorly) for the rest of my life is a pretty dead end in my life. Overall, the cochlear will gain me more benefits than learning ASL will.

U have too high expectations for cochlear implantation, which is not a good sign...

If you don't wear it all the time (especially in the beginning) your brain will never figure out how to interpret the signals you are receiving and you will hate the CI and then never wear it. People who don't put forth the effort and use the device do not get benefit from it.

Fair said it correctly! if you don't use it your brain/you will never accomplish what it is intended to accomplish. I put mine on first thing in the morning and take it off last thing at night. HA is and was always the same. Face it, if you were a hearing person and never heard anything you would not know what you were hearing when you did hear something. A hearing person can NOT turn off hearing at will so why should we? To get maximum benefit one needs to have it on all the time in my opinion. If I want quiet I go where it is quiet, same as a hearing person.

Back