When did you come out?

With the exception of the people in my very new part-time doggie job, I am out to pretty much everybody, including my family, and have been for some years now; most recent "outing" was to my mother - about 6 years ago. All the people I see on a routine, friendly basis are all either GBLTQ or straight and accepting.

homo - and trans-/biphobia - :thumbd:!!

very hard if u live in a small or intolerant community :(

if bi, some people who are gay or lesbian have a problem with it too, so issues on all sides -

I can agree to that. My friend who is a lesbain was telling me how the next generation is so confused because more people are open about being bi. She thinks it is disgusting and refuses to date anyone who is bi. All I could do was just look at her and shake my head.

Any small town or rural area that filled with socially conservative then it wouldn't going happen but increase of tolerate is possible since views of gay marriage isn't and it would going to be very slow.

In bold, remember, no religion discussion allowed in this forum and I don't agree with your comment.
And true.....I never said it would be fast. But I mean things are changing faster then they ever did during the 60's!
Ummmmm.............I wasn't saying anything religious. I was comparing the gay rights struggle with general civil rights!

what's even more hilarious, coming out to somebody gay and all along you were hiding it from each other... old, glorious junior high days.... pot calling kettle black, i guess.

I came out to my friends when I was 18, and then my family when I was 19.

My mom took a while to come around, but now she's very supportive of me.

I just wish a day would come where I could find a suitable partner that loves me for me and not just as a sex toy and the time comes where I am ready to spread my wings.

But now, there are times I feel extremely unlovable as no one from either sex seems interested in me.

I understand how u feel dixie, i feel the exact same way lol. hope someday we will find someone to love.

I came out to my two closest friends when I was i think 15 on the city bus, they were surprised but didnt care lol. then i just gradually told anybody who asked that i was bi.

I still dun know what i am lol, i know i love women, but I dont know if im bi or lesbian lol.

I came out to my parents at the end of 2008 lol, so i was 22 when i came out to them, but my mom said she always knew it, but was just waiting til i felt comfoortable enuf to tell them lol. she said that she suspected that it was always something i had been struggling with all thru out my life lol. mom knows best eh.

:P

It's amazing; people seem to be coming out at younger and younger ages. I think that's awesome. Shows either more acceptance from society or bravery from youth or a combination of both.

I knew all my life that I was gay, but I started to accept it at 14. Told my first friend at 16 that I was bi. Told my mom and she was like, "No, you're not. You're gay." I was shocked. It never occurred to me that my mother would be A: so accepting and B: so savvy. I finally told people I was gay at 17 and have been out ever since. The hardest one to tell was my sister - she was 14 at the time and cried, but it was more because of the social stigma and how it might affect her. She got over it REAL quick and we totally chat about boys now. :) I was VERY lucky. My entire family, including my great-grandmother, is accepting and loving. They met my ex-boyfriend and will meet the next one (when that happens).

After college, I went back to my high school and directed The Laramie Project with the students. It was an incredible experience and really opened a lot of eyes and minds.

Oh, and it was probably destiny - my birthday is National Coming Out Day. :-D

I came out as lesbian at 16 and as transgender at 17. I came out to my school before coming out to my parents in both cases because my school was really accepting to the point it was known for it. We even had an LGBTQ Pride Assembly every year.

I come out with my first girl at 26! I turn into male at 37! 10 years consideing bloom late. :)

Technically, I was 12 or 13. I said one day to my mum, I think I like women in that way. She then said that sometimes when we admire someone, especially older, it can feel like that- I felt brushed off and never mentioned it again until a few years ago.

I knew when I was about 7 that I liked my teacher, and used to write her little love notes, but to me it almost felt motherly- I'm an only child and I used to write my mum little cards saying 'I love you'. When I was a teenager I struggled with my sexuality so much- I thought, I like women, so I must be gay, but I also had a massive crush on my male teacher, and liked celebrities, so I must be straight, but I can't be both- felt like I was going to combust trying to work it out! I was pretty much in love with my best friend at school and had a huge crush on another female friend in college but I don't think I recognised that I was bi, I just thought I was weird and that something was wrong with me.

My first serious boyfriend/partner did not approve of women having relationships/sex with other women, and used to make comments about it, so I tried not to think about it; I was with him so I shouldn't be thinking about other people.

Then we broke up, I had a few dates but nothing serious, and experiences with a woman. I said to my mum 'I'vegotsomethingtotellyouIlikewomeninthatwayaswellasmenlet'sneverspeakofthisagain' and ran out of the room, I was so scared what she'd say. She looked thoughtful then said 'Does that mean you're going to be promiscuous?' really seriously. After I stopped laughing I explained that it doesn't!

Then I had a relationship for a while with a female friend of mine, not exclusive as she had a bf in an open relationship. Then I met my current ex, a male, and fell in love with him, and he understands that I'm attracted to women, and doesn't/didn't make me feel that it was wrong in any way. I like to say that I like/love the person, it doesn't matter to me whether they're male/female/transgender/something else; I feel incapable of ruling out love or sexual desire based on genitals or gender perception.

I always feel slightly odd saying I'm bi when I'm involved with or like a man- as if I expect myself to have both a bf and a gf, but when I'm in love with someone I'm monogamous, that's just how my feelings have so far dictated in relationships.

came out at about 18, first to my previous high school homeroom teacher, who I always felt was extremely kind and just understood me on a very intuitive level; then later to my at-time boyfriend, now husband. All this was first year in college.

I came out last summer when I found out I was bisexual. I haven't told anyone cept my gay friend. the reason being cuz my family is religious and I fear they will shun me or somethin. I told my mom I might be bi and she said she would accept me n love me no matter what. I would like to experiment before I decide if I'm truly bisexual or not

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.12) Sprint:PPC6800)

I CAME OUT WHEN I WAS 20 OR 21. I'VE ALWAYS BEEN INTERESTED IN GIRLS SINCE ELEMENTRY BUT REALLY DIDN'T KNOW IT. UNTIL I DISCOVERED IT. BUT YEA, IM 32 NOW, SO I'VE BEEN OUT FOR A REALLY LONG TIME.

Looking back I really wish I had just flat out came out during high school because I think by the 10th or 11th grade it was already assumed by many that I was a closeted homosexual.

PrettyBrownEyes - for me, about the same time as you wrote in your post. We are similar in age too. Came out as bi to my boyfriend at time <now husband> maybe second year I knew him.

Well part of me is still really confused. I didn't date in high school (although high school was the period of time when I first fell in love with a girl) Thought that maybe it was just the area that I lived in. My high school was VERY snobby. I was friendly with dudes in college, but nobody who made me feel like " OMG I want to marry him!"
I still remember my friend going to her boyfriend " Guess who Deafdyke would do?"
Jason " Me?"
Me and Meghan " BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"
However I do feel like if the girls I've liked were boys I'd have the same feelings for them.

Back