whats your favourite type of wine and region?

I do most of my wine shopping at Trader Joe'

My father feels like he hit the lottery when Trader Joe's got the license to sell; he's the only one that drinks in our house and it's used mainly for cooking at that....

Laura

yea, casked wines (in cardboard boxes, usually 2 or 3 litres), they not that good to drink, (many do though), but are quite disgusting to me, and well they're really more for cooking.,,but for real top cooking, - chefs Do use proper and sometimes really good wines, but I DON"T imagine they'd cook with a 2003 Penfold Grange, no way.

For the chardonnays, I guess more on the fruity side but not too sweet. I'm not a fan of the Reislings for that reason (too sweet for me, generally.)

For the merlots, I like the wood-ier ones.

actually, if you got a real german Rieslings, that has been aged (and they can be bottled up to a 100 years, yes you read right One Hundred years), some best Sauternes are like that too..

Rieslings when aged, are not sweet, its very savoury but VERY NICE...and it smells of either Petrol or Kerosine, yes that smell but when you taste it, its divine!

so what im also saying Most Riesling in the West (outside of Germany) arent made properly, it was more likely made in similar way as a Charodonnay and it definitely on the sweeter side, and it arent real, well 'not the real thing', also the grapes and right soil over in germany arent easily replicated, (alos sun, humity climate etc)

Like Fremch wines, there hundred diff names , many of which are refering to Castle estates (the olden lords of the land from the pre-capitalist age - feudalism)...names also refer to actual specifics of grapes, and methods. its all in their language, ie, french and german so ,we English-speaking dont know it, unless you're from a Rich and educated in 'high society' then it would be your high class, a lifestyle of the rich is another culture if you will. Its like where you'd know it, but then, again rich people arent neccessarily wine lovers, if they are, they DO know it..if they're not, they just forgotten or didnt care, to a point maybe their parents get hard line about a certain one or 2 types...just like your typical parent might raise you to like a brand of tea or coffee...

i have a couple of those Rieslings and Gwerztraminers, had been throu 2 bottles of such that was Made in New Zealand, it was aged for about 10 years...and its on its prime or about to go downhill, (so its NOT a 100 year version, but cloest you can get from Outside Germany) this particular bottle was handpicked by me, as i read on label the winemaker (forget his name its on the bottle)...went and lived over there for some 5 years and was an honors student in Otago in Vinoculture (sp?), so my hunch was right, he is one of the best Riseling winemaker in the country as far as I'm concerned, it was organic also, and man, it was a good find.
Other Rieslings from all other makers are just sweet , and its the wrong sort of sweet, they just preying on naive people who likes 'desert wines or semi desert that is, not syrup thick but thin enough to be drank on its own like a Chardonnay..but the mess/consumers are misleading the market...(thats how i see it).

hmm so
here you go,
do some home work and if you stumble a dedicated winemaker who is loyal to the german methods , then try your luck there

Back