What's your favorite sign?

Daft

Reaction score
I guess this is a question more for the hearies learning ASL than for those who have known ASL all their lives.

Here's a few signs I've always liked. Don't know why, they are very common.

"Oh I see." - looks like the "yes" sign but with Y-hand formation.

"none left" or maybe "its all gone". Open palm handshape with palm facing up and your hand just in front of your face. Then blow across the hand. Visually, it reminds me of blowing dust off of a counter because the counter is bare.

"nerd", "oddball" - this is a very old sign and hard to describe. Right hand in H-hand shape and rubbing up-and-down diagonally on your left nostril.

"particular" or "picky", "fussy" - 1-hand shape and touch the tip of your nose. Then both hands in 1-handshape and pull them back to you making X-shapes. Not sure if this is a an old sign or not. The older deafies know this, some of the young deafies know it, and seems most interpreters (without deaf parents) don't know it.

"Not my responsibility" - using 8-handshapes and flick the finger off your shoulders. Can do this with on hand or both. Rolling your eyes makes it emphatic.

I think every body has favorite signs, just as every English Speaker has favorite words.

My daughter and I share a favorite sign, "popcorn" I loved it when I was a kid and I still do.

My wife's favorite English word is "Amok" my daughter's is "plethora" and mine is "culture".

My favorite Spanish word is "Mariposa" and means butterfly. It is also a sign I really like to do. You can't say the word in English and have it sound right. You have to say it with the Spanish accent.

Hearies learning ASL dont' know enough signs to tell you them so I (deaf) will tell mines.

"Elf" because my name my grandmother gave me.

"Fairy" just because it is graceful.

YOu started this thread but if any deaf people would tell you , hearies looking up ASL could look up the signs, and see why they attract people so much. :shrug:

My favorite sign is cat. Forming the "f' handshape near the nose and the index finger and thumb separate about an inch :)

The gesture for SUICIDE.

Why? I usually eye a girl that is bored...... point at them, raise eyebrow, make a bored face, then proceed to do a SUICIDE sign in a rather graphic way... with brain splattering and everything... them go limp. Usually that get them giggling.

as you can tell... I get bored a lot.

For those of you who said their favourite sign is the sign for Bullsh!t, could you tell us how you sign it? I know 3 or 4 different ways of signing it!

Berry - said

My daughter and I share a favorite sign, "popcorn" I loved it when I was a kid and I still do.

May I ask, how do you sign it? Again, I know several ways of signing "popcorn". The sign I use most often - Left hand I have V-hand formation and with right hand a 1-hand formation. I tap the 1-handshape tip of finger in between the two fingers of left hand a few times. I use that sign most often, but my favourite sign for popcorn is the miming of shake the pan on the burner! That one is a very old sign and I love it! I know some people sign "popcorn" by flicking their index fingers into the air - but to me, it looks too much like the sign for "stripper". :giggle:

Oceanblue7 - here, whenever we sign "cat" we use the F-handshape with the index finger and thumb touching. Please do not take this as critisizing, just letting you know that some deaf people sign a little different.

For those of you who said their favourite sign is the sign for Bullsh!t, could you tell us how you sign it? I know 3 or 4 different ways of signing it!

Berry - said

May I ask, how do you sign it? Again, I know several ways of signing "popcorn". The sign I use most often - Left hand I have V-hand formation and with right hand a 1-hand formation. I tap the 1-handshape tip of finger in between the two fingers of left hand a few times. I use that sign most often, but my favourite sign for popcorn is the miming of shake the pan on the burner! That one is a very old sign and I love it! I know some people sign "popcorn" by flicking their index fingers into the air - but to me, it looks too much like the sign for "stripper". :giggle:

Oceanblue7 - here, whenever we sign "cat" we use the F-handshape with the index finger and thumb touching. Please do not take this as critisizing, just letting you know that some deaf people sign a little different.

What I meant that what the hearing people use for "Rock on" is an old ASL sign for "bullshit."

What I meant that what the hearing people use for "Rock on" is an old ASL sign for "bullshit."

It still cracks me up when I see hearies do that!

BTW, Bottesini - I see we live in the same state. Wonder if we are in the same city....

I WAS RIGHT! Ha! I read about some president's VP I think mis-signed I love you to a group of deaf supporters and signed BS. I thought it was the same sign as Rock on but another person told me I was wrong! I feel vindicated :giggle:

I do a variation of ILY, extended to IRLY. The only difference is that an "R" is made in place of the index finger and also doubles as part of the "L", the "I" & "Y" remain the same.

I do a variation of ILY, extended to IRLY. The only difference is that an "R" is made in place of the index finger and also doubles as part of the "L", the "I" & "Y" remain the same.
I just tried that and it's not easy. :cool:

Only know 2 ways. One is the rather boring fingerspell BS and the other is: Hold your passive hand across you body in a "Y" handshape -- This is the head and horns of the bull. Now put your passive hand at your elbow as though it were the bull's butt and let fly. I also like this sign.

Berry - said

To me it looks more iconic of how popcorn looks when it pops. I hold my elbows in at upper tummy level. The sign I use for stripper is elbows out and "X" fingers flicking just above the pecs.

I also know "shaking the pan" but never use it myself. Never seen the one you use.

Not nearly as close together as the signs "candy" "apple" and "gum" or "embarrass" and "Prossie".

Hmmm. Don't know a sign for "Rock on". Doubt if I'd use it if I did. But would probably be nice to know when I saw it.

I just tried that and it's not easy. :cool:

Kind of reminds me of the "I hate you" sign. Instead of the "R" use "H" handshape.

Hmmm. Don't know a sign"Rock on". Doubt if I'd use it if I did. But would probably be nice to know when I saw it.

Kind of reminds me of the "I hate you" sign. Instead of the "R" use "H" handshape.

Index and pinky extended/ and I think that might be "evil eye" in Italy for hearing people.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 5.0; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

Hi ,this is ella webber and just look find alldeaf. I just look for deafs pictures ...

Back