What's up with her?

ClearSky

Reaction score
Hi,

I need to vent this. There's this woman at work who is what I'll call the "truck lady." She brings in clothes that are ready to the store. Anyway, pretty much since the beginning of starting my job, she seemed to have decided to dislike me profusely. Pretty much everyone at work is nice. Some have their days and I don't care. I just don't understand this truck lady. What is wrong with her? She's talked to me a bit after I started, but she later decides to continue to have this face that says, "God, I hate her." I refuse to look at her much because I don't like to see her ugly expression. You know, it's just a negative vibe. She will walk by and wave, "HI!" to other employees and act like I am invisible. She just has this stupid face that says it all, and I am tired of it. I just don't know what is wrong with her. Could it be that because I don't yak, yak, yak like the others that she thinks I am a snob or something? Other employees know that I am the quiet one, and they just laugh and joke about it which doesn't bother me.

Sometimes I just want to walk up to her and say, "what is wrong with you and your stupid face?" Sometimes, I have wanted to ask another employee that I trust more to ask her this personally to see if she knows anything about her dislikes about me.

It makes me feel bad because I know I am not mean to anyone to be treated with hate for no reason at all. I bet she doesn't have a clue why she dislikes me either or is just a judgemental person and whatever her judgements are.

Have anyone confronted such people in the past? How?

Hmmm . . . maybe she thinks she is better than you, as well as the rest of your colleagues. My advice to you is not to let it get to you. That will show that you've got class and, when reviews come up for everyone, there may be some job losses due to their behaviour toward you. In the meantime, don't say anything to anyone, don't show any dirty faces or ask anyone anything. Always have a positive expression on your face if you don't already. Always be friendly and wave, even if they don't wave back. Remember, all the employees are being watched by supervisors, so watch your back and don't worry about the others. You will come out ahead in the end, while some others are out looking for a new job and getting to meet new people and learning how not to treat people. Remember, too, the old adage . . . "What comes around, goes around." :D

Thinking you should take out back after work and :rifle: show her who's the boss. :giggle:

Well, maybe she dont realize that you are deaf, is all?
I had the same problem when i was working in DOD (Dept
of Defense, Army Ammunition Depot) and of course i was
not talkative cuz i could not follow the conversation of
other people and some strangers would give me funny looks
like im not friendly or something until i said something that
im hearing impaired, thats when they go..oh ok, im sorry
i didnt know that you are H.I...and they are more receptive
to me...so thats probably why that lady trucker is acting
nasty to you, she might think you are not friendly..heh!

So next time, you see her, holler and say HI! and explain
that you are deaf, hearing impaired or HOH..and explain why
you are not the yakity type cuz you are not able to hear
everything..that might soften her attitude toward you, ok??

So next time, you see her, holler and say HI! and explain
that you are deaf, hearing impaired or HOH..and explain why
you are not the yakity type cuz you are not able to hear
everything..that might soften her attitude toward you, ok??

I agree with Defee....the truck lady might not kow you were deaf. I've run into similar situation many times, since deafness isn't obvious, even with hearing aids.

It does look like the two of them have already communicated somehow in the past...apparently, it can be possible that this 'other' person just don't have the 'time' to speak/communicate with you or doesn't want to go through the 'trouble' of doing so. (the signing, writing, etc.) There are indeed folks like that and it's just a sad thing that some folks will resort to that type of behavior or attitude.

Anyhow...in the meantime, just keep 'smiling' at her (no matter what kind of facial expression she'll present at the time)..one thing I have discovered that has helped tremendously for those kind of folks who pretty much ignore people like 'us' (the deaf/hoh/c.i.)...is this: There will be a time when they might need help or struggling with a certain task, going up to offer a hand (to help) or just pitch right in and help--does break that seemingly neverending cycle of whatchamacallit type of attitude(s) the 'other' person is showing and oftentimes, things change right there, gets better from then on. Indeed, it can work wonders, but not always...however, it's worth a try! ;)

Hopefully something good will come out of this eventually..just hang in there!! :)

~RR

Mod Note:

Thread has been moved from 'General Chat' to this forum: 'Our World, Our Culture'. :)

~RR

maybe you have the wrong impression. The best thing to do is ask her in a kind way if there is anything that you did to offend her because you have the impression she doesn't like you. Just ask but be kind about it

Thump her on the nose and proclaim impending doom upon her freckles by the power of 10,000 drunken gypsys. She might be nicer after that, if it doesn't work you can always give her a kitten. They're the best presents. Kittens poop all over the place and are a trouble to take care of -evil grin- but see the kicker is they're too cute to say no to!

Perhaps ask one of the other co-workers to discreetly enquire as to why? If there is a misunderstanding, it can be cleared up. If it is some irrational inexplicable hatred of you because you looked at her funny one day and you can't even remember it, well there you go. Nothing you can do about people like that. It's best to ignore them and just concentrate on the genuinely nice people out there. It's her loss, not yours.

Thump her on the nose and proclaim impending doom upon her freckles by the power of 10,000 drunken gypsys. She might be nicer after that, if it doesn't work you can always give her a kitten. They're the best presents. Kittens poop all over the place and are a trouble to take care of -evil grin- but see the kicker is they're too cute to say no to!
LMAO - Yes Yes... Tell her "May the fleas of 1000 camels infest your armpits"

I think Defee has the best approach in this situation. Keep on going on about your work like you normally do - and when this truck lady comes up gently pull her to the side and say - "Hey I know I may have come across as snobbish, but that is not entirely the case. You see I am deaf, and I have a hard time following conversations in group settings, so I just stay quiet. If you have any questions feel free to ask me." Then leave it at that. This way youve explained the situation to her and the ball is now back in her court to decide how she wants to react. Good luck.

I am pretty sure she knows I am deaf because one time she went to where I was shelving books and said in that "talking to deaf" kind of what hearing people do that my manager wanted me being nice, but she still went back to her bad attitude. I smiled like I usually am.

She knows, but I don't know what her problem is. I just avoid her man. I don't trust my co-workers much to tell them my issues because they spread it to everyone at work when it's not appropriate. There aren't too many people at work for gossips to spread easily.

well then it sounds like it is her problem to deal with not yours, let it roll off your back like water and go on about your day. If she cuts you a dirty look smile back, kill her with kindness. Eventually she may or may not come around but I would not sit and worry about it everynight after work, IMO.

Back