What's up! My hearing is disappearing!

joel21

Reaction score
Hi everybody. My name is joel. I'm a dentist in Tampa, Florida. Married with two children. Three yrs ago I was diagnosed with Leukemia and after 6 months of chemo I had a stem cell transplant. Everything is fine now but Ive been slowly losing my hearing the last 11 months. Today I was approved for bilateral CI's. Im here to meet other hoh/deaf people and people with CI's.

Joel

Nice meet you :) welcome alldeaf im Sarah but username is deaff since i born no hearing so im called myself deaf

Nice meeting you guys. The last year has been interesting to say the least. It's a definite challenge communicating with others as my hearing has declined. My family and I have started learning ASL to prepare for the future. Im excited/hopeful the cochlear implants will help me regain some of the hearing I've lost. I look forward to chatting with u guys and learning from your experiences.

. . . Ive been slowly losing my hearing the last 11 months. . .

That would be a very quick loss of hearing, Joel. Of course, some folks have lost their hearing overnight. It must be a very difficult adjustment to make.

I have been losing my hearing not over 11 months nor even 11 years. It seems like it's been about 10 times that long ;) . Adjusting to loss began when I was a small child. By your age, I was just getting to the hearing aids and now, 30 years later, I still have some residual hearing but almost not enough to understand speech even with the aids.

People can adjust and adapt. I'm wondering how easy it is for dentists with normal hearing to understand their patients :). Hey, I've found that I'm pretty good with people for whom English is a 2nd language. Communication doesn't all have to be oral. I'm new too but welcome to a forum where you can write to deaf & hard of hearing people and read what they have to say!

now, 30 years later, I still have some residual hearing but almost not enough to understand speech even with the aids.
Adamn, have you thought about CI? It might boost your hearing a bit.......

Wow. No!

I've never had surgery in my life. I had an IV in my arm once and nearly had a seizure . . . well, I was really sick. They'd have to sneak up and grab me . . . :Ohno: and, give me the drugs that would make me happy to have been grabbed.

I've been compensating for 60 years!

mention my son who family g.p.he learned bsl more or less brought up with it and he find it useful in his line of work as you dentist not unlike him

safarigirl..how is your buddy doing with the CI's? As far as learning ASL it will be very useful in the dental office because i treat alot of hearing impaired children.

safarigirl..how is your buddy doing with the CI's? As far as learning ASL it will be very useful in the dental office because i treat alot of hearing impaired children.

she's doing great! she rocks her Harmonies and Neptunes anyday :3

Back