What's this sign REALLY mean?

gregg

Reaction score
I am an ASL student, and just completed my first 4-week ASL course on Thursday. My second course starts on Monday. I could ask my instructor, but I don't want to wait until Monday.

I've been watching many ASL songs on YouTube, and one video has piqued my interest. I'm curious about one sign. It happens at about 1:43-1:45 in the video. Hands are crossed in front of the signer (middle person in the video) and handshape is fists for both hands and the fists nod or shake slightly. The words to the song say "fool around" (meaning in a sexual manner). What exactly does this sign mean?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Gregg
ASL Student

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG3Rd8EHYXs"]Aqua - Barbie Girl in ASL[/ame]

Last edited:
Looks like "fight" to me but I'm probably wrong, since that would be out of context. Either way, this is pretty terrible signing, and I wouldn't really rely on it for good ASL information.

I didn't watch the video but the description sounds like they're trying to sign the MAKE-OUT sign. It's supposed to show the heads (the S-hands) of two people bobbing up and down, back and forth, like they're making out (petting, fooling around, hooking up, messin' around, necking).

@Reba: Thank you for the information! I couldn't find this sign on SIGNINGSAVVY.COM, and I'm still trying to learn everything all at once.

I understand that this video may not be "perfect" signing -- it's an ASL 2 class and high school kids. Gotta start somewhere, right? ;)

Gregg, Reba is right about that sign which is to make love or make out in a sexy way. But they are not performing in a sexy way at all as they are too busy trying to sign the language for the song. :lol: Two women is sexy enough but they don't do the emotional feeling and same thing with the middle one, also not emotional. One of the women had trouble trying to remember where she figure out the words as she tried to sign. :hmm:

The lyrics of the song say "let's fool around". I don't know any sign language but just wanted to let you know that the song is "Barbie Girl" by Aqua ;)

Reba is right. those gals have no expressing by their facial expression so they need to work on their facial expressions.

they mean "make out" but she signs "fight". They are very similar but can be distinguishable if the right non manual marker is used and it is not sloppy

yes, the audio says "fool around" as the middle person is making that sign.

that video is exceptionally terrible. Don't try to learn anything from it.

Back