What's the most deaf-friendly bank?

Ahoj Isadora, I use Raiffeisen banka. I don't have any bad experience.

Back in the states I used Bank of America and NFCU. I didn't encounter any anomaly as I recall.

I prefer credit unions. I don't have issue with my credit union and they have great customer service and a lady back there knows sign language as a teller.

If you show up at a local branch you'll get around the phone. I'm with Bank of America and when I opened my account I just went to a local branch and filled out forms yada yada.
I agree.

There will almost always be deaf barriers of some sort wherever you go.

So, if all else fails... then go in person. :)

Have you tried asking them for a form to fill out? Can they mail you a form to fill out?

I have Chase, and there's a teller at one of the banks who knows just enough sign language to help make things go easier, and I love the bank, but there's a new one closer to my home (it's on Ridge), and it'll save me the risks of blowing out my knee during the winter.

I just had a live chat with Bank of America. I asked about a driver lic required to open an account. A rep replied;

Brooks: Two forms of ID will be asked for. One must be a legal photo ID such as a state ID, driver’s license or a passport.
Brooks: The other should be social security card, student ID, or certified birth certificate.
Then I asked that it means I can't open an account online. He said that I am correct. If anyone said that he/she opened a new account with a bank online, BULLSHIT!

You must apply in person so they can see your face for security purpose when you show your photo ID.

I always go to the bank when opening a new account and deposit money in my account. I find it a lot easier and this way I can see that person is spelling my name and address right , I just saw them my driving license . I am not deaf I am HOH but people still have a hard time understanding over the phone. If you open an account over the phone how do deposit money into it? Do you use your credit card ??

How do one deposit into bank to open an account? Credit card? Nope, its illegal using credit card to open an checking account, but there is way and its EASY! That is if you have another bank account, simply enter check routing number and account number and amount to be deposit. That is it, I done that and it works!

Today, it is much easier to transfer funds than it used to be.

I always go to the bank when opening a new account and deposit money in my account. I find it a lot easier and this way I can see that person is spelling my name and address right , I just saw them my driving license . I am not deaf I am HOH but people still have a hard time understanding over the phone. If you open an account over the phone how do deposit money into it? Do you use your credit card ??

Bullshit? I am not sure about that because I have done that with BOA without any hitch.

I just had a live chat with Bank of America. I asked about a driver lic required to open an account. A rep replied;

Then I asked that it means I can't open an account online. He said that I am correct. If anyone said that he/she opened a new account with a bank online, BULLSHIT!

You must apply in person so they can see your face for security purpose when you show your photo ID.

There is an issue that may cause problem is if one abused checking/savings accounts in the past. If one constantly bounced checks, writing bad checks, etc then its impossible to open checking account online. I never abused it, almost never bounce check, never wrote bad checks.... viola! No problem opening account, doing checking business with banks, even deposit check from my living room.

When I pay my bills, I do it using the on-line feature my bank has, which prevents me from accidentally overdrawing, and it's good to have. I don't use money orders or write my own checks, because I KNOW I would, which is why I prefer to use this, so I don't make a costly mistake. I also keep a close eye on my account, to make sure I have enough when I can afford it.

How do one deposit into bank to open an account? Credit card? Nope, its illegal using credit card to open an checking account, but there is way and its EASY! That is if you have another bank account, simply enter check routing number and account number and amount to be deposit. That is it, I done that and it works!

Today, it is much easier to transfer funds than it used to be.

I was wondering because the OP was talking about opening an account on the phone. I know you have to deposit some money to open a new account.
I only had trouble with one bank and that was the one that kept tying to say I was on my mortgage . That bank it long gone, it was taken over by another bank. The bigger fish ate the small fish.

Bullshit? I am not sure about that because I have done that with BOA without any hitch.
Are you telling me that you never showed your photo ID when you opened a bank account online?
If you did, how did you prove to them that it was actually you applying?

When I pay my bills, I do it using the on-line feature my bank has, which prevents me from accidentally overdrawing, and it's good to have. I don't use money orders or write my own checks, because I KNOW I would, which is why I prefer to use this, so I don't make a costly mistake. I also keep a close eye on my account, to make sure I have enough when I can afford it.

My bank stop giving people the balance of their account when doing banking at the bank . People where over drawing money as they would forget there could be checks that had not been cash yet and they did not have as much as the balance show. I once when to a bank and asked what my balance was and the teller said $5,000 and I like WTF! Did someone put money into my account for me , I asked the teller to check it again and she told me what I really had in my account. The teller looked up the wrong account. I
was thinking what if I had been a dishonest people I could said "OK I take $4,000 .

Right!

How do people apply for credit cards? They have done online right, how do they have to prove their photo ID?

When you request your own credit report, do you have to show your photo ID? How? There is no way you can do that, there is WAY to prove your identity without showing photo ID.

Like I said in the past, I have DONE that with success, and yes I have not visit bank several months after I open an account with BOA.

I think the problem with those who can't open an account with bank though online is that they may have bad history or have abused in the past.

Are you telling me that you never showed your photo ID when you opened a bank account online?
If you did, how did you prove to them that it was actually you applying?

That's why I check my bank account online before I head to the bank, so I know exactly how much to withdraw so I don't get penalized.

You know Ally Bank? They don't have branch at all, how do customers open their accounts with Ally Bank?

Check Online Banking | CDs | Money Market | Savings and Checking | Ally and see for yourself.

I think the reason some people having trouble opening account, first is spotty history with banks, second if they try to open account using friends home computer or anywhere outside of their own home; the IP address is tied with the physical address and they DO run match and if it does not match, it will trigger blockage.

I watched TV the other time, and it was about Ally Bank, somebody had an interview with Ally bank asking how they manage without branch and why no branch? The answer was rather interesting, without branch means less employees needed to hire, and most are done by automation, and to cut the cost in order to be able to provide free ATM service national-wide, completely free checking, savings accounts.

I opened BOA and Chase bank though online without any issue. Will I do that again? Sure, you can bet on it.

You know Ally Bank? They don't have branch at all, how do customers open their accounts with Ally Bank?

Check Online Banking | CDs | Money Market | Savings and Checking | Ally and see for yourself.

I think the reason some people having trouble opening account, first is spotty history with banks, second if they try to open account using friends home computer or anywhere outside of their own home; the IP address is tied with the physical address and they DO run match and if it does not match, it will trigger blockage.

I watched TV the other time, and it was about Ally Bank, somebody had an interview with Ally bank asking how they manage without branch and why no branch? The answer was rather interesting, without branch means less employees needed to hire, and most are done by automation, and to cut the cost in order to be able to provide free ATM service national-wide, completely free checking, savings accounts.

I opened BOA and Chase bank though online without any issue. Will I do that again? Sure, you can bet on it.
I just checked Chase, Citi, BOA and Wells Fargo websites. Yeah, a person can open a bank account online as long as they (banks) comply with federal laws for security purpose.

I did mine in person, but I do my bills on-line, and their security is very good, and not only that, my laptop protects the information feom falling into the wrong hands, as well as the bank.

Back